Haven't bought soap since 2006

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't even think about going to the store for soap or laundry detergent anymore. Which is a good thing because i realized how much money i was spending and now since I am saving it, SOAPING is wonderful and soooo much fun!!

Ooh! I forgot about laundry detergent and fabric softener. Since I stared making my own I save a bundle on those too!! Just started making those last year.

I may stop buying sink detergent as I just discovered the soap I use to make laundry detergent will also clean a sink full of dirty dishes and condition my skin too!

It's been since before 2009, but probably earlier than that for myself. We get to skip quite a bit of the store now. Laundry section (okay, well, every few years I need to pick up borax and washing soda), the milk and egg portion, the chicken and mostly the red meat section. Now, if I could completely eliminate the red meat section and no longer buy milk from the dairy, I'd be in wonderland.

I can hardly wait till one day I can go, "Back in the summer of '__ was the last time I bought soap. I remember because that summer was one of the hottest, muggiest we ever had..." Also can hardly wait till I use my own homemade soap for washing dishes and for my laundry detergent recipe!

wink: Same ingredients as CP or HP but instead of Sodium (NAOH) it is the (KOH) which makes it liquid soap! The process is a little bit longer bet oooh so worth it!!! We can be TOTALLY independent of Hellmart, oops I mean Walmart soap isle ( except for the Borax and Washing soda, LOL)

I may try potassium hydroxide at some point but I love my bar soap. I don't mind using it to wash dishes or grating it for laundry soap. :)

I've been using a 1% superfat lard/coconut soap for washing dishes lately. It is a bar soap, and it seems a bit harder to rinse, but once my latest batch at 0% SF finishes curing, then I will be using that. I've yet to find a great alternative for the dishwasher though...

I just use baking soda with my bar soap, particularly with anything that had oil on it for hand washing dishes. If necessary a bit of distilled white vinegar in the water, too.

I've been using a 1% superfat lard/coconut soap for washing dishes lately. It is a bar soap, and it seems a bit harder to rinse, but once my latest batch at 0% SF finishes curing, then I will be using that. I've yet to find a great alternative for the dishwasher though...

1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 2 pkts lemonaide koolaid(without sugar), 1/2 cup coarse kosher salt. Mix well and store in airtight container in fridge. Use 1 tablespoon per load. Use vinegar in your rinse recepticle.

Last edited:
I haven't bought soap in probably 2 years. Before I started making it, my mother in law was sending us hers. We've both learned a lot since then. I want to try laundry detergent, but worry about my new machine. I've never had an HE machine before....and didn't really want to buy one recently, but had to buy something!

1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 2 pkts lemonaide koolaid(without sugar), 1/2 cup coarse kosher salt. Mix well and store in airtight container in fridge. Use 1 tablespoon per load. Use vinegar in your rinse recepticle.

How does the lemonade koolaid work?

I haven't bought soap in probably 2 years. Before I started making it, my mother in law was sending us hers. We've both learned a lot since then. I want to try laundry detergent, but worry about my new machine. I've never had an HE machine before....and didn't really want to buy one recently, but had to buy something!

Good news! The basic laundry detergent and fabric softener recipes most people use work perfect in HE washers. It also gets that horrible musty smell out that the new HE machines are notorius for.

Laundry Detergent:
1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup soap shreds. Mix them together for a dry detergent. Add about 1 gallon (less 3 cups) of distilled warm water for a liquid detergent.

Liquid Fabric Softener:
3 cups vinegar; 2 cups hair conditioner; 6 cups distilled water. Shake with each use. I like to put a little Lavender + Clean Cotton FOs in if I want a fresh clean laundry scent.

"...How does the lemonade koolaid work?..."

It is a source of acid. You can use citric acid instead, but it is harder to find.

I can get citric acid at my local food co-op, how much would you use? I hesitate because of concerns about etching... But, yeah, I would love to ditch the commercial products as much as possible.

Actually, I am wondering about the purpose of the salt?

And the citric acid is to help combat hard water spots by dissolving any lime that is in the water.

I would think it would dissolve long before it would be scrubbing the dishes... But then again, I've never really paid much attention to what happens inside the dishwasher as long as the dishes come out clean.

Good news! The basic laundry detergent and fabric softener recipes most people use work perfect in HE washers. It also gets that horrible musty smell out that the new HE machines are notorius for.

Laundry Detergent:
1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup soap shreds. Mix them together for a dry detergent. Add about 1 gallon (less 3 cups) of distilled warm water for a liquid detergent.

Liquid Fabric Softener:
3 cups vinegar; 2 cups hair conditioner; 6 cups distilled water. Shake with each use. I like to put a little Lavender + Clean Cotton FOs in if I want a fresh clean laundry scent.

Thanks! That's the same recipe I used in my old washer. I'll definitely try it out!

Back