Have you used these molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
I am considering buying some molds. The crafter's choice silicone mold from WSP did not work out well. Not only did it bow, but the batter stays pretty wet, so I went back to using my wooden molds + freezer paper liner. I really do not like having to make liners, so I found these and am considering one of them.

This one looks like a dream-come-true, if it works as it says. I think it would unmold more easily than the silicone molds:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/241568825/happy-molds-4-5-lb-hdpe-soap-mold?ref=related-5

This one looks nice because they are stackable:
http://www.essentialdepot.com/product/SS-MOLD-NATURAL-PLUS-BASKET.html

Has anyone used either of these? Would love to hear your reviews!

I use all hdpe molds. The only ones that have a chance of un-molding without lining are the perfectly smooth hdpe. I would ask them if the hdpe is slightly textured or perfectly smooth. Soap can and will stick to hdpe and will even stick to the slick smooth hdpe depending on the recipe.

I have silicone liners with wood molds from Nurture (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE) and Brambleberry (okay - but they are floppy and don't fit exactly perfectly in the mold). I know a lot of folks like the essential depot ones. If you go that route, get the white ones. I hear that the red ones have leached color into folks' soap on occasion.

I have and love many different silicone molds. I've bought them from various places over the years, but most recently from Nurture Soaps. I'm very happy with it. I made my own wooden box for it.

I have HDPE liners for one of my wood molds (BB"s wooden vertical mold) and I hate them with a passion, so I'm not sure that I could recommend the molds in your first link. My soap sticks to them something awful...even though I use a water discount, gel, and use sodium lactate. I quit using them, and instead I line the mold with either heat-resistant mylar or decorative silicone fondant mats (cut to fit). If you really like your wooden mold, but only hate lining it with freezer paper, I would do something like that before investing in new molds. All you need to do is just spend about 30 minutes to an hour cutting the mylar or silicone mats to fit, and you now have a set of custom-fit liners that will last you for years to come.

I'd love to be able to recommend the second mold you linked to, but I have 2 of them and my soap always comes out of them with blistered surfaces. Others have good success with them, but so far, I've had to plane the surfaces off all my batches made in them (I have the white/natural ones).

IrishLass :)

I think the fact that it comes apart would be a HUGE advantage. I have an HPDE mold that i like pretty well. My suggestion would be to line it - You don't have to line it perfectly like a wooden mold. Get some quilting mylar and fold it so you get a U shape (but with sharp corners. There's no key for that that I can find). Then if it sticks you only have to worry about 2 sides, vs worrying about the bottom AND all the sides.

You can also grease it with mineral oil or silicone spray, but that's been only moderately successful for me.

I also use all HDPE molds like the ones in the picture. I always line them. Sometimes I just do it on the longer side. I like that they are chemical resistant and washable. I never put them in the dishwasher though. The ones I bought said they didn't need to be lined but all the reviews told me otherwise. The bigger ones are textured but I have a smaller one that is smooth. I line them all even though as Carolyn said, you might be able to get away with not lining the smooth one.

I do find that I have to force gel (CPOP) in my HDPE molds otherwise I get partial gel so just keep that in mind.

I love my hdpe molds but I do line them with a slip liner. Only the ends do not get lined and I just slip a knife right next to the hdpe to break it loose off the end. I cut the freezer paper 9.5 inches long then you will have cut off some of the end of the paper to fit the length of the mold

Yep, that's the one I use.

In the meantime, just a suggestion regarding the bowing you mentioned - if you happen to have some lego lying about, this "mould stabiliser" I made works a treat: :)

2016-04-04 001.jpg

I have six molds plus baskets from essential depot and love them, the work great and can be stacked four high with the baskets.

Are they easy to unmold?

Here is another one to consider, I have two and love them, they make a very nice sized bar.
http://americansoapsupplies.com/mol...ll-skinny-mold-TS-mold-silicone-vertical-soap

I have tried two of those in different brands have not not lilke them.

A. they bowed
B. difficult to unmold

Robert

Yep, that's the one I use.

In the meantime, just a suggestion regarding the bowing you mentioned - if you happen to have some lego lying about, this "mould stabiliser" I made works a treat: :)

LOL!!! VERY cool idea!!! No, don't have any leggos...

Yes those silicone ones with the collar do bow slightly. Depends how fussy you are. You can make a Lego surround, or a wooden box or cut a piece of heavy duty cardboard out to reinforce the top. Sort of a collar under the lip. That works well.

If I had my time again I'd buy a silicone mold with a timber box and lid. The nurture ones actually fit the timber mold, some others may not fit exactly. There are cheaper ones on the net but the silicone quality does matter if you don't want "silicone blisters" on your soap and I don't know what their silicone is like. For the price it might be worth a try.

Yes those silicone ones with the collar do bow slightly. Depends how fussy you are. You can make a Lego surround, or a wooden box or cut a piece of heavy duty cardboard out to reinforce the top. Sort of a collar under the lip. That works well.

If I had my time again I'd buy a silicone mold with a timber box and lid. The nurture ones actually fit the timber mold, some others may not fit exactly. There are cheaper ones on the net but the silicone quality does matter if you don't want "silicone blisters" on your soap and I don't know what their silicone is like. For the price it might be worth a try.

Is it important to "lid" the soap?

I have both wide and tall and skinny molds from BB.
I like them both, tall and skinny one needs just a tiny bit of reinforcing on the sides and that's easily managed with some cardboard and towels when I covered it up to enforce gel.
If the soap is gelled it's quite easy to unmold soaps, they sort of just pop out with a bit of pushing on the bottom. Sides have to be released completely first.
There is a bit of bubbles on the sides, especially towards the middle where gel is strongest, but nothing I can't deal with.

Back