Have you used kombo butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Peeps, one of my favorite soapy friends gave me some kombo butter. I've read recipes online but trust you all more. Hit me up if you've used it in lotion bars or balms. Any lessons learned and what are some good essential oils to use with? Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't remember which recipe I used, but I'm pretty sure it had some shea butter in it. It was harder than I wanted it to turn out, as I was wanting more of a salve or balm type of consistency. Anyway, have you checked all the recipes out on the Baraka site? I used one of them, and now I see there are a lot more. I'm going to revisit this. Recipes You Will Love Kombo Butter - Baraka Impact

If you want to compliment the natural scent, I'm not sure what to use. I left mine unscented, but I like the scent of unrefined shea and the kombo butter. If I was to try to mask it, maybe patchouli (blended with something or just all on it's own).

I can't remember which recipe I used, but I'm pretty sure it had some shea butter in it. It was harder than I wanted it to turn out, as I was wanting more of a salve or balm type of consistency. Anyway, have you checked all the recipes out on the Baraka site? I used one of them, and now I see there are a lot more. I'm going to revisit this. Recipes You Will Love Kombo Butter - Baraka Impact

If you want to compliment the natural scent, I'm not sure what to use. I left mine unscented, but I like the scent of unrefined shea and the kombo butter. If I was to try to mask it, maybe patchouli (blended with something or just all on it's own).
Um, thanks? So that was a rabbit hole of 20 recipes -- I only have a coupla ounces! Decisions decisions. It's like a restaurant menu with 30 pages and I have to pick just one entree!
No, seriously, this is a great website that did not turn up in my original Google search. Thanks!

Peeps, one of my favorite soapy friends gave me some kombo butter. I've read recipes online but trust you all more. Hit me up if you've used it in lotion bars or balms. Any lessons learned and what are some good essential oils to use with? Thanks!
I have used Kombo butter. I love it but just started playing with it.

Just made a soap yesterday with Kombo. The smell is WAY too strong for me to use in a body butter (it reminds me of an earthy, slightly rancid, treacle and Marmite) but it is really moisturizing so maybe down the road, I'll experiment with it.
I did Tea Tree and Rosemary e/os in the black part of the soap but used too heavy a ratio of tea tree. My next batch will 1/4 that (or leave it out entirely) and go heavier on the Rosemary. Rosemary e/o with Ho Wood e/o or Copaiba Balsam e/o could be a nice blend also, a little fresh and woody..
The Kombo retains a little of its earthy smell and imparted some color at @ 2% of main oils.

Green portion Lime, Bergamot and Ho Wood e/os, Green Kaolin clay, infusion of Seaweed, Matcha, Alfalfa and Wheatgrass. The seaweed and matcha I use in bath and face masks but here, I'm mainly using the 4 for their deep green color, which will hopefully hold (the alfalfa and wheatgrass were infused in EVOO and used 100% for the olive oil portion, the seaweed and matcha infusions used in my additives)- Smells awesome, fresh and fruity, will make a soap of this again but need to see how the smell lasts as it cures.

White portion, White Kaolin clay, TD, Spearmint, Peppermint e/os, smells strong and clean.

Black portion, Grey Kaolin clay, charcoal, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Himalayan Cedarwood e/os with a 10% sub of Kombo in both my Kokum butter and Palm oil portions.

Soap was made with 1/2 distilled water, 1/2 org. aloe juice from TJ's. It contains water, concentrated aloe and concentrated lemon juice. I reduced the citric acid I added a little, to accommodate for the lemon juice.
Next batch of this will probably just be the black and white. The rosemary and mint would be a good combo, I think. I can't do the strong patchouli scents, since they make me want to throw up, but they could probably go well with the Kombo smell also. My reaction to the Kombo smell is to mask it, since I don't like it!

I usually soap low temps since most of my soaps are Goat Milk but this one was too cold (oil was at 79F and lye was at 81F) since I had to step away from it for a while and I'm not used to LA being chilly, lol, so I have some bubbles in the soap as you can see in the pic. I gelled it in the oven at 135 F for an hour and let it sit overnight in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.39.33 a.m..png
    Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.39.33 a.m..png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Just made a soap yesterday with Kombo. The smell is WAY too strong for me to use in a body butter (it reminds me of an earthy, slightly rancid, treacle and Marmite) but it is really moisturizing so maybe down the road, I'll experiment with it.
I did Tea Tree and Rosemary e/os in the black part of the soap but used too heavy a ratio of tea tree. My next batch will 1/4 that (or leave it out entirely) and go heavier on the Rosemary. Rosemary e/o with Ho Wood e/o or Copaiba Balsam e/o could be a nice blend also, a little fresh and woody..
The Kombo retains a little of its earthy smell and imparted some color at @ 2% of main oils.

Green portion Lime, Bergamot and Ho Wood e/os, Green Kaolin clay, infusion of Seaweed, Matcha, Alfalfa and Wheatgrass. The seaweed and matcha I use in bath and face masks but here, I'm mainly using the 4 for their deep green color, which will hopefully hold (the alfalfa and wheatgrass were infused in EVOO and used 100% for the olive oil portion, the seaweed and matcha infusions used in my additives)- Smells awesome, fresh and fruity, will make a soap of this again but need to see how the smell lasts as it cures.

White portion, White Kaolin clay, TD, Spearmint, Peppermint e/os, smells strong and clean.

Black portion, Grey Kaolin clay, charcoal, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Himalayan Cedarwood e/os with a 10% sub of Kombo in both my Kokum butter and Palm oil portions.

Soap was made with 1/2 distilled water, 1/2 org. aloe juice from TJ's. It contains water, concentrated aloe and concentrated lemon juice. I reduced the citric acid I added a little, to accommodate for the lemon juice.
Next batch of this will probably just be the black and white. The rosemary and mint would be a good combo, I think. I can't do the strong patchouli scents, since they make me want to throw up, but they could probably go well with the Kombo smell also. My reaction to the Kombo smell is to mask it, since I don't like it!

I usually soap low temps since most of my soaps are Goat Milk but this one was too cold (oil was at 79F and lye was at 81F) since I had to step away from it for a while and I'm not used to LA being chilly, lol, so I have some bubbles in the soap as you can see in the pic. I gelled it in the oven at 135 F for an hour and let it sit overnight in there.
Stunning. I made a loaf with kombo and barcuri butter and it came out like fudge.

Attachments

• 313A5102-8263-42A1-B4A6-3C6EDF0DD972.jpeg
    313A5102-8263-42A1-B4A6-3C6EDF0DD972.jpeg
    1,004 KB · Views: 0
Contrinokathy, your soap looks great! It indeed looks like a tasty fudge and is making me want to bake!
Did it harden up well after curing? Did it keep that beautiful color?
I had a tonne of 'bits' in my Kombo butter (I don't know if that's normal or not, I bought a small bag on Amazon), so I strained it after melting.
I've never heard of Barcuri butter before. Just looked it up. Sounds like a very moisturizing butter also. Is it less pungent than the Kombo? The below article implies it also has an acquired smell!
https://rainforestchica.com/products/bacuri-butter

Contrinokathy, your soap looks great! It indeed looks like a tasty fudge and is making me want to bake!
Did it harden up well after curing? Did it keep that beautiful color?
I had a tonne of 'bits' in my Kombo butter (I don't know if that's normal or not, I bought a small bag on Amazon), so I strained it after melting.
I've never heard of Barcuri butter before. Just looked it up. Sounds like a very moisturizing butter also. Is it less pungent than the Kombo? The below article implies it also has an acquired smell!
https://rainforestchica.com/products/bacuri-butter
The bars did indeed keep their color and darkened to a deep rich brown.
The bars are also hard as a rock lol.
I had no bits in mine. It’s lovely stuff. I added it (kombo butter) to a body butter and it is very nice. Barcuri butter does have a scent and it is strong but both the scent goes away unlike Neem oil.
Thank you for the compliment. I love a rich bar of soap.

The bars did indeed keep their color and darkened to a deep rich brown.
The bars are also hard as a rock lol.
I had no bits in mine. It’s lovely stuff. I added it (kombo butter) to a body butter and it is very nice. Barcuri butter does have a scent and it is strong but both the scent goes away unlike Neem oil.
Thank you for the compliment. I love a rich bar of soap.
Interesting that the scents go away, makes me happier to use it. I will purchase my next batch from a reputable source and see if it smells better as well as not having all that sediment!
And add Bacuri butter to my ever growing list of oils/butters I must try!!
Yes, Neem has a very strong scent to it. I add it to my skin butter (and some soaps mixed with e/os) but only a very small amount.
I also use it on my plants for various problems, multipurpose! 👍🏻

The neem oil topic pops up again! I use neem on my OUTDOOR plants and can barely stand upright and not pass out from the smell. I cannot imagine being indoors or showering with it. 🤢

The neem oil topic pops up again! I use neem on my OUTDOOR plants and can barely stand upright and not pass out from the smell. I cannot imagine being indoors or showering with it. 🤢
It's funny how different smells trigger people differently!
I'd rather sit by someone doused in Neem than say, Patchouli, 😅 That's probably the one most likely to make me sick. And the Kombo I bought was way worse to me than Neem also! In the butter and GM soap, I use it in, a little goes a LONG way and the smell is masked by a Lavender, Geranium, Him Cedarwood, Tea tree combo.
But it's always good to remember that the scents we think are fine can cause others to go urgh! and walk away from a sale!

Latest posts

Back