Have you seen anything like it before?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satinfox

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have a picture of a soap that I just made. It has small brownish orange spots throughout the loaf. I checked each oil in a single oil test to rule out Dreaded Orange Spots or DOS. The only thing I could think of was the additives that I used like sugar and goat's milk powder. I searched online and have not seen anything like it on other troubleshooting sites. I figured someone here would have seen this before. Have you seen this before and do you think it could be caused by goat milk or sugar? Thanks for your input. :)
spots in soap.jpg

Assuming the sugar was already dissolved in your lye water, I would hazard a guess that the milk powder wasn't blended in sufficiently and that is causing the spots.
Thanks for replying. I think I will try blending longer to see if it happens again. Hopefully not.

I agree, its most likely the milk powder. Did you dissolve it in water before adding it to the soap?
Thanks for replying. No, I mix it into the oil. I made 4 loaves and 3 had the weird spots in it. I used the same recipe but used different FOs. I tested the fragrance oils for DOS in tiny batches and they came out fine. I think it might be something to do with powder milk.

Thanks for replying. No, I mix it into the oil. I made 4 loaves and 3 had the weird spots in it. I used the same recipe but used different FOs. I tested the fragrance oils for DOS in tiny batches and they came out fine. I think it might be something to do with powder milk.

I had the same thing happen when I used powder added directly to the oils. Next time mix it with enough water to dissolv.

Back