Have you heard of LUSH?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bret said:
Tabitha said:
A syndet (in a nut shell) is any other cleaning agent that does not begin with fats & lye.

synthetic + detergent=syndet

Most all M&P is a synthetic detergent, it contains oils but does not begin w/ lye.

But SFIC base is considered soap, correct? Because it does have saponified oils?

No, it is still a syndet bar. Only soap can produce lather/bubbles without adding a synthetic such as sorbitol, slsa or liquid sufacants.

According to their website (took out parts that are n/a for this discussion):

"Our soap is 100% real soap and not a combination of detergents and or surfactants, which are erroneously called soap. Surfactants and detergents are derived from crude mineral oil ("motor" oil). By blending them, a so-called "Syndet" bar (synthetic detergent bar) is produced.

Our Glycerine Soap is a superior form of soap. It is made of pure vegetable oils (no animal testing or products) and contains a high percentage of glycerine.
Our soaps are:

100% Pure Soap
Only the Finest Natural Vegetable Oil Recipe
20% Kosher Glycerine Added
Hypo-Allergenic
Non-Comedogenic
No Animal Testing
No Animal Products (unless you ask for milk to be added)
No Detergents
No Sulfates
No Surfactants
No Alcohol
No Sugar solutions "

And the ingredients do contain Sodium Hydroxide, which is lye, I think:

"Coconut Oil, Palm Oil ,Castor Oil
Safflower Oil ,Shea Butter,Glycerine (kosher, of vegetable origin)
Purified Water,Sodium Hydroxide (saponifying agent)
Sorbitol (from berries, moisturizer)
Sorbitan oleate (emulsifier)
Soy bean protein (conditioner) Titanium dioxide. "

Those are Lush? Ok maybe the bar soap isn't that bad- I could have been looking at the ingredients for lotion and that shower whip. :)
Thanks for the info Tab...
I will say if you like Soap and natural handmade soap and butters- Basin.com is cheaper than Lush- they have some great stuff kinda like Primal as a matter of fact I'm wondering if Primal doesn't make their stuff. There soap is amazing- unfortunately the Shampoo bars have SLS but I guess most do- everything else is fine- Their body butter has 9 ingredients and is heavenly- I order sometimes when I'm bored with what I've got.

The ingredients Bret listed above are from SFIC, not Lush.

Hm, guess it has been a while since I have been on the SFIC webiste. That is intresting Bret.

Here's an ingredient list for my favorite soap from Lush, Honey I Washed The Kids. (Although, now that I know about some of the ingredients, and started making my own, don't know how much more, if any, I'll buy. Love the scent though.)

Black = Safe Synthetic Green = Natural and/or Organic

Honey Water (Mel Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Beeswax (Cera alba), Sweet Orange Oil (Citrus dulcis), Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia), Aloe Vera Extract (Aloe barbadensis), Aloe cupensis), Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides), Titanium Dioxide.

Most often, Lush (like many other successful B&B co) get's a bad rap because people envy their success, IMHO

EDTA is diaminoethanetetraacetic acid which is an irritant which is used in detergents, industrial cleaning agents and in fertilizer. It is used to make cosmetics more stable.

Makes you want to run out and buy more doesn't it?

Joanne

Tabitha said:
Most often, Lush (like many other successful B&B co) get's a bad rap because people envy their success, IMHO

I couldn't agree with you more.

Melt and Pour has a place in the industry. Even the syndet variety. Some people are allergic to real soap and HAVE to use sydnets. And I would wager to bet that until most of us used handmade soap for the first time - we were probably quite happy with our store bought sydnet bars. Maybe not in love with it as we are CP - but accepting of it nonetheless.

There are many M&P makers out there that make syndet bars and they are quite happy with their product as many of them should be. Some of them look at our lye soap in the same way Lush is being looked upon here - with disgust.

I like several of Lush's products. I prefer my own soap but have nothing bad to say them. And I have actually tried the products.

Thank you Marr & I hate to tell you this ladies, but there is far worse crap in the foods you eat, unless you hand raise all that you ingest. If you knew what was in your meds, over the counter & perscription, your heads would spin.

This thread was started before we inacted the rules below, or it probably wouldn't be here now.

We pride ourselves on being the friendliest soap making forum on the net. Please abide by the following rules to keep it that way.

1.For the purposes of this forum, ALL products commonly known as soap are handcrafted/handmade, regardless of whether it began as oils and lye or a base that may or may not contain detergents. BOTH products qualify as handcrafted/handmade soap in this forum.

2.Disrespect and criticism of another member, their practices or choices, will not be tolerated.

3.Disrespect of any member of the soaping community, whether they hold memberships on this forum or not, will not be tolerated.

4.Disrespect of suppliers will not be tolerated. While everyone have the right to post experiences with suppliers, both favorable & not, it shall be done in a professional manner free from insult.

Any negative, nasty, offensive or questionable comments regarding the above points will not be tolerated and will result in that thread/comment being deleted by the Moderating Team without further reference to the member.

Continued posting of negative, nasty or offensive comments will result in that member being banned from the board.

Thank you!- The mod team

Lush is very good, and very, very expensive. If people are willing to pay that high price, all the power to Lush, we are a society based on freedom of choice! :wink: I do wish I could sell a strange shaped piece of soap for $30.00 per pound though. :lol:

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
I do wish I could sell a strange shaped piece of soap for $30.00 per pound though. :lol:

Paul

LOL! No doubt! But hey - they must be doing something right. :)

I still adore Lush. I just look at some of the products (bath bombs, etc) a bit differently now. They have a huge following, and will continue to do so.

(I still have a box in my closet FULL of Lush. I just can't bear to part with it :) )

Im not a Lush fan at all. I did go and visit the store to see all the rave behind it.. I touched and smelled everything .. and I just was not happy with the packaging or the items in the store.

But its a market for it, certain people like it, and certain people dont.

It just amazes me how they can have the mp soap all out like that even in the summer time and there is no sweating.

I know it. You would kind of expect a little bit of sweating....especially off the soaps in the plastic bags.....but nothing!

Has anyone tried the sea salt face scrub? 30 bucks for a small container but it is one of those things that lasts a long time. Makes my face glow!

Joanne

ok so i am a little late posting here but Propylene Glycol is definitely not good for your skin. anything that you put on your skin enters your blood stream.

Propylene Glycol

A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair, propylene glycol works as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.

Back