Have I ruined my lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT2au

You bet they die
Reaction score
Hi all,

For years I have rendered pork fat into lard as we have had a couple of dogs with acidosis and the vet told us to give them a table spoon of lard in their dinner each night to help ward off the acidosis attacks. Anyway, I made a batch yesterday and for some reason I cannot fathom I put salt in the water and I now have salty lard. I guess my question is of the how long is a piece of string variety - but will I be able to use this lard for soap making? I certainly won't be able to use it for pastry as it is too salty but I guess the dog won't complain.

I wondered if I boiled the lard a couple more times, each time with fresh water, if the salt might dissolve into the water and lessen in the lard.

I probably put about a table spoon of salt into the water and have about 1.5 / 2kg of lard, I haven't weighed it yet so I don't know exactly, I just ran my finger over the top this morning and could taste the fat.

I dont think so. I add salt to my soap batter. Does the fat absorb all the water when you render? (Ive never done this)If not im thinking you didnt get any more salt into the lard the you would typically add to the soap.

I dont think so. I add salt to my soap batter. Does the fat absorb all the water when you render? (Ive never done this)If not im thinking you didnt get any more salt into the lard the you would typically add to the soap.
You boil the fat in the water and the bits of flesh etc fall down to the bottom of the pan while the fat floats on top of the water. You chill the saucepan in the fridge overnight and simply lift the lard off of the top. I am hoping that the amount of salt will not be too much of a problem.

That amount of salt won't hurt soap. If you want to wash the lard again to remove more salt, you can.
I wouldn't boil it though, it just needs to be hot enough to completely melt.

Melt the lard and stir in a reasonable amount of water, allow it to stand until the water settles out, chill, and remove the lard. This should remove nearly all the salt in the lard. Salt won't hurt the soap though.

That amount of salt won't hurt soap. If you want to wash the lard again to remove more salt, you can.
I wouldn't boil it though, it just needs to be hot enough to completely melt.
Thanks Obsidian

Melt the lard and stir in a reasonable amount of water, allow it to stand until the water settles out, chill, and remove the lard. This should remove nearly all the salt in the lard. Salt won't hurt the soap though.
Thanks psfred

Should be fine. I've added salt to my lye water before. Came out no problems in the end. It shouldn't affect it too much.
Thanks RockinRodeoChick

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back