have any of you made cream soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthsessencellc

Reaction score
I just tried my first hand at cream soap, however I tried making it without stearic acid, and the lye/water solution got a little colder than what it should have before mixing, however the oils were a little hot... Yeah a no, no, I know, but it never did anything, it bubbles when i mix it with a stick blender but it isn't setting up nor is tracing at all. What kind of luck have you had with cream soaps, and do you have to use stearic acid when you make cream soaps?

Okay, after leaving this cream soap sit for a short bit, and LOTS and LOTS of whipping it with my hand mixer, it took forever! but I got what I was looking for, now, the real test, waiting for that 5-7 days to see how well the soap works! I developed it for a shaving cream, using;

Avocado oil
Palm oil
cocoa butter
Olive oil
Glycerin

then I scented it with Cedarwood and Petitgrain Essential oils, for a cricp but woodsy scent, just perfect for a man.

My hubby is waiting to use it, keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Michele

What method did you use? Have you read Failor's bulletin on cream soap? I make cream soap and have so since early '06. I've never ever used it before two or so weeks have passed. I will scrape some of the soap from the spoon and try it as I am mixing and getting it to relax during the rot time but.....Also... your recipe contains no stearic...I get that. Did or are you planning to super cream this soap? 7 oz of my 20 oz base recipe is stearic acid. Works beautifully.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2816638300_e42075a8af.jpg

No I haven't read Failors forum on cream soaps, this is my very first time making this kind of soap, I have made my own liquid soaps using only Potasium hydroxide before, and have learned to master that, then I was on to cold process soaps, now I am attempting to make that mixture of the two.... anyhow, I didn't have any stearic acid on hand, is that going to make a huge difference, so far I have noticed it isn't that 'thick' I mean it's set but just not thick like i would of liked it, is that because of the absence of the stearic acid in it? I followed the directions from snowdrift farms recipe formulas other than that i have never done this kind before, i hope it doesn't separate....

So i should be waiting a couple of weeks before trying this, see the directions say 5-7 days. i am so confused! Sheesh arr there any clear directions about cream soaps anywhere?

The bulletin is VERY helpful. It explains how and why certain ingredients are needed. There is also a cream soap calculator that shows different water factors, super fat percentages, the hardness, conditioning, stability factors of your recipe....I've never known anyone to be pleased with the method you have used. Quite honestly. I'm not sure if it will do what you expect or wish it to do. When I made my cream soap it looked like this before I super creamed it and added additional liquids....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2761977198_b7fa91b8ae.jpg

I highly recommend Failor's book. You can find it at most book stores and on Amazon. There is also a Yahoo group specifically for cream soap.

I agree with Anhoki. I've used Snowdrift Farm's method, but I've since acquired Failor's bulletin. The SDF method is ok; but it wasn't really what I was looking for, if that makes sense. When I looked at Anhoki's page I saw a really mellow whipped, creamy soap; SDF's was a stiffer more redi whip if you will, consistency. Mine wasn't quite like that, so I play on trying Failor's method next weekend.

Back