Haunted by lard/tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"......I have actually (years ago) looked up various soaps and compared the ingredients--detergents, detergents, detergents (lol) and my skin hates these and tallow. ...."

I need to make a correction because it sounds as if I don't like tallow or it doesn't agree with my skin. I like tallow but prefer lard--less expensive and no smell in fat form compared to tallow. It's the detergent that's wretched.

Oooops, I should've created two separate sentences. Detergents and my skin don't agree; I haven't used bar 'soap' in almost 45 years. The liquid 'detergent' cleansers also reak havoc on my skin so I've been using shampoo in place of bar or liquid body wash. It's not a whole lot better but some is better than the results of syndet/combars---owwwwww. Retirement has allowed me to make my own soap--real soap.

Re: detecting/not detecting a piggy smell:
I find that noses are very individual things in what scents they can and cannot detect, such as folks that cannot stand to smell jasmine flowers because they smell like cat pee to them, etc...

Jasmine is just awfulllllll, but not for the reason stated for me--allergic!! Lol, a relative who is quite dear to dear to my heart loves jasmine so I thought I'd make her some soap. Oh my goodness!!! was I sick for a week afterwards. I finally had to move the soap to a back room that's not used in our home and shut the door (forever, well at least until the soap was ready to give away).

I never knew some thought it smells like cat pee, lol. I actually like the smell; my body, however, takes it to be an invader.

Cjennmom, lard might be cheap in the US, but not in Australia, it's $18kg. I'm certainly not going to pay $18kg :eek: for fat. They keep it in the refrigerated section in the supermarket.

There are no Walmarts here, no slaughter yards in the city either. A lot of supermarkets while they keep meat, do not have instore butchers. I've been making soap quite a while, I know how to render fat. We use to have a butcher shop, the trimmings/fat and bones got collected, lever and kitchen use to get the fat for soap and the bones got crushed for fertilizer.
WoW :eek: that's outrageous!

Last edited by a moderator:
We can't expect it to be cheap when we don't have the population to support it. Most of it goes to manufacture of other products.

So true. And there's a bunch of pork processed here in the US so just a lot more plentiful here. That also goes for tallow as well but that's more expensive. With exporting about 547,000,000 pounds of beef being exported one would think tallow would be so abundant that it'd be less costly. Got the number of lbs by Googling it some time ago. It could be the cost of processing it from a heap of fat to useable tallow......or it could be greed.

Hi! First post, here, but I felt like chiming in might be a good thing. Tallow - especially the good, grassfed stuff is crazy-expensive, and I don't exactly trust the lard in the regular grocery stores. Plus, my skin is ridiculously sensitive to detergents, fragrance oils - essentially anything synthetic. So, that leaves me either buying the organic artisan stuff, or making my own, and quite frankly, that works for me, since I never really outgrew the 'me do it!' phase of childhood. The result is that I render my own tallow and lard, from the meats I'm getting ready to cook, for my soaps, shampoos, body butters, and lotions. It's a simple process, and the hardest part is cutting up the fat. So, I put it through the grinder!

A few cups of water in the slow cooker with the fat gives the solids a place to drop to, making it easier to separate from the rendered fat. It doesn't get much cheaper than using parts of your food that you won't eat, anyway.

I bought some lard at the grocery store. I ordered some tallow online. The lard was in the refrigerated section of the store, and I've kept it in the fridge. The tallow was delivered, and there is nothing about it needing to be refrigerated.

Does lard need to be kept in the refrigerator? Is tallow OK at room temp? If the answer to those are both yes, does anyone know why the storage requirements are different?

Look at the packaging and see if the instructions recommend refrigeration. Commercial products, whether lard or tallow, often contain preservatives and some may be hydrogenated (especially lard). They usually don't need refrigeration, although it won't hurt a bit if you have room in your fridge or freezer for the fat.

If it's home rendered tallow or lard, I play it safe. Whether it's been wet rendered or dry rendered, there can be some residual water remaining in the fat and I want to minimize the risk of oxidation and microbial growth. I add ROE (rosemary oleoresin) to the fat right after rendering to protect against oxidation. I also refrigerate or freeze the fat.

Look at the packaging and see if the instructions recommend refrigeration. Commercial products, whether lard or tallow, often contain preservatives and some may be hydrogenated (especially lard). They usually don't need refrigeration, although it won't hurt a bit if you have room in your fridge or freezer for the fat.

If it's home rendered tallow or lard, I play it safe. Whether it's been wet rendered or dry rendered, there can be some residual water remaining in the fat and I want to minimize the risk of oxidation and microbial growth. I add ROE (rosemary oleoresin) to the fat right after rendering to protect against oxidation. I also refrigerate or freeze the fat.

Thank you, DeeAnna.

what about other fats like Cangaroo, or emu?

These oils sound exotic to me. I wouldn't think twice about using them. But lard comes from a ... well ... a PIG ... a swill eating, mud rooting PIG! LOL. I just can't get over it! Even Bing Crosby has words about pigs:

A pig is an animal with dirt on his face
His shoes are a terrible disgrace
He's got no manners when he eats his food
He's fat and lazy and extremely rude
But if you don't care a feather or a fig
You may grow up to be a pig.

Ok, ok ... seriously, maybe I will make up some recipes that include lard. How bad could it be?

If I used a pound or two of lard, would I reduce that amount from the palm oïl I would have used? What percentage of lard is ok in a soap?

Going to Coco Coop (in Montreal) tomorrow to pick up all the soap supplies I ordered. (It only took a month for them to get them for me!) Soaping is on the horizon!

I've been looking at my 40 bar wooden mold. I can't remember how I used to use it. I think I used to cut the soap in the mold, but how did I get straight lines? I'm trying to get my partner to cut some slots in the sides of the mold. Then I can use my 4 foot soap knife and cut bars while the slab is still in the mold.

These oils sound exotic to me. I wouldn't think twice about using them. But lard comes from a ... well ... a PIG ... a swill eating, mud rooting PIG! LOL. I just can't get over it! Even Bing Crosby has words about pigs:

Ok, ok ... seriously, maybe I will make up some recipes that include lard. How bad could it be?

If I used a pound or two of lard, would I reduce that amount from the palm oïl I would have used? What percentage of lard is ok in a soap?

Going to Coco Coop (in Montreal) tomorrow to pick up all the soap supplies I ordered. (It only took a month for them to get them for me!) Soaping is on the horizon!

I've been looking at my 40 bar wooden mold. I can't remember how I used to use it. I think I used to cut the soap in the mold, but how did I get straight lines? I'm trying to get my partner to cut some slots in the sides of the mold. Then I can use my 4 foot soap knife and cut bars while the slab is still in the mold.

You can go as far as 100% with lard. Some here have done it. I prefer up to 50% when I use it. I just would caution you to consider making a small batch in case you don't like that soap.

what about other fats like Cangaroo, or emu?
Are they this expensive Relle?

Simply, yes, as far as emu oil is concerned. $95 approx for 500 ml :eek:, or $180 a litre.:eek: Run awayyyyy.

Kangaroo oil, as far as I know is not accessible, I don't think I'd like to use Skippy anyway. Skippy was a Kangaroo in a kids tv show when we were growing up, everyone watched it. Soon as you said Kangaroo oil, I thought of poor Skippy:(. I doubt anyone here would use it, if it was available.

".....Kangaroo oil, as far as I know is not accessible, I don't think I'd like to use Skippy anyway. Skippy was a Kangaroo in a kids tv show when we were growing up, everyone watched it. Soon as you said Kangaroo oil, I thought of poor Skippy:(. I doubt anyone here would use it.

:lol: I'm like you, no Skippy for me.

I remember Skippy!!! Instead of a dog (as in Lassie), the 'main' character was a kangaroo.

You can use 100% lard or tallow, if you want. Many people do. It makes a hard, white, long lasting, multipurpose bar. Like any other fats, though, if you want it for skin, make sure to superfat it, at 5% or better, so it isn't too drying.

I recently made an 80% lard and 20% Coconut oil soap that is surprisingly good (IMHO). I looked up "80% lard" here on SMF and found many posts extolling the virtues of high lard soaps. Some are using lard in the 40-70% range in order to bring other qualities to the soap. Here are two of the threads I read:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/80-lard-soaps-ok-i-get-it-now.53092/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lard-soap.75409/

I made a 100% lard test batch in late July. As I understand it, 100% lard gets better with a long cure. I haven't tested mine yet.

ETA: I just tried my 100% lard soap, which is only about 10 weeks old. I can get it to form a dense creamy lather, but it’s not making any bubbles to speak of.

Last edited:
Oh, my, @John Harris -- you have never made friends with a pig. I grew up with purebred Yorkshire hogs and can assure you they would rather bathe in fresh water than lie in mud and they certainly can appreciate the finer things in life. When I was 10, I showed a gilt (young female pig) for my grandpa at the county fair. I had to bathe and groom her and teach her how to stand in the ring for the judge, so she became friendly and tame toward me. For years after that, Rebecca (the pig) would see me in the barnyard and come over to say hi and ask for a tummy scratch.

I can actually help with that! My book that includes soap recipes has a 'single bar' method so you can experiment with colors, scents etc. I used it just a week or two back when trying out my coffee soap. Lol It actually makes ~12 oz. of soap, or 4 individual soaps from one of those flexible silicone mold trays.

Single bar method:

1/2 C. cold, soft water
2 heaping Tbsp. commercial lye
1 C. melted tallow (or lard, they say this stuff is pretty much interchangeable for soaping purposes)

You can go as far as 100% with lard. Some here have done it. I prefer up to 50% when I use it. I just would caution you to consider making a small batch in case you don't like that soap.

I can actually help with that! My book that includes soap recipes has a 'single bar' method so you can experiment with colors, scents etc. I used it just a week or two back when trying out my coffee soap. Lol It actually makes ~12 oz. of soap, or 4 individual soaps from one of those flexible silicone mold trays.

Single bar method:

1/2 C. cold, soft water
1 C. melted tallow (or lard, they say this stuff is pretty much interchangeable for soaping purposes)
It sounds like your book is quite outdated. I could be wrong, but soaping by measuring is not very acceptable today. We use weight and configure lye by using Sap values either with a soap calculator or manually. Most folks will use soap calculators to figure out lye amounts.
100% Tallow soaps are brittle hard with very little lather
100% Lard soaps are not quite the brittle hard as tallow but still, do not produce much when it comes to bubbles. Neither in my opinion, make for a nice single oil soap.

Single bar method:

1/2 C. cold, soft water
Respectfully, I wouldn't suggest making soap with these kinds of measurements - and especially not in a small batch. Using weights rather than volume measurements and a lye calculator is a much more accurate, safer way to go. Using 8 ounces of oils in Soap Calc with a lye concentration of 30-33% will give you about a 12 ounce batch.

Single bar method:

1/2 C. cold, soft water
I agree with the others concerning the recipe. If you tried this, use a scale to weight the measured out the ingredients by oz or gram (I suggest grams but I"m weird) and then run it through a soap calculator like SoapCalc, soapee or the forum's calculator- Soap Making Friend.

To cmzaha and dibbles: The book is about colonial type stuff and only the single bar recipe has that type of measurements. The basic full size recipe and all others is measured in lbs., oz, and tsp. (tsp. for essential oils). I've made 3 recipes out of this book not counting the single bar experiment. I used lard instead of tallow because it's what I have available here. Two of them are already cured and in use; the third (a lard/olive oil castile soap) is only a week or so away from cured and already looks fantastic. So far everyone who's used them likes them. My mother takes extra bars into her classroom (messy subject) and the home ec teacher there likes it too.

Back