Hatching a new batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Reaction score
IMG_20210517_115617.jpg
In 3 weeks' time we should be welcoming some new additions to our flock šŸ„° There's something magical to me about hatching, I can't wait!

Your coup is so clean! I don't think I've ever seen such a pristine chicken coup.

That are Lovely Ladies.
Was only painted in march and has been empty until 2 days ago, and they've already made quite a mess! Opened the door but they seem a little bit reluctant to come out, bless them

We only got two chicks out of our hatching attempt. Our granddaughter added 4 chicks from a school hatching project and we added 12 more pullets from Tractor Supply store. They are all doing well. We now have eggs under a broody hen; so we are waiting to see how many of those hatch.

We only got two chicks out of our hatching attempt.
Oh no :( out of how many?

All our chickens are ones we hatched ourselves from a very good quality set we were given by a breeder. We've generally had pretty good hatch rates *touch wood* and for the last hatch we got an automatic turner which helps a lot! (More consistent turning, less opening and closing and touching the eggs...)

Of course, if you can get one of the hens to do the work for you then so much the better!

Oh no :( out of how many?

All our chickens are ones we hatched ourselves from a very good quality set we were given by a breeder. We've generally had pretty good hatch rates *touch wood* and for the last hatch we got an automatic turner which helps a lot! (More consistent turning, less opening and closing and touching the eggs...)

Of course, if you can get one of the hens to do the work for you then so much the better!
We set about 12 eggs to hatch the first time. We turned our eggs twice a day.

What does one do with chickens when temperatures get near or below zero F? If I knew the answer to at least this question, hubs might agree to keep some chickens. We generally only get a few days in the 0 to -20F range (sorry @Zing !), but we do hover around zero F for most of the winter.

What does one do with chickens when temperatures get near or below zero F? If I knew the answer to at least this question, hubs might agree to keep some chickens. We generally only get a few days in the 0 to -20F range (sorry @Zing !), but we do hover around zero F for most of the winter.
They're surprisingly good with low temperatures; they naturally run a few degrees hotter than humans and can keep themselves warm pretty effectively. What you need to be careful about when it's very cold is the drafts and humidity. They can get frostbite on their feet and combs which you would obviously want to avoid. It's very important to build the coop so that there's very good ventilation but no cross breeze blowing on them when they're asleep.
I'd recommend reading up on your specific temperatures though, since I've no direct experience with that level of cold.

Well, we candled the eggs tonight, and went into lockdown. A disappointing percentage were not developed at all (rooster not doing his job sufficiently) so we took those out. There are 18 remaining that look pretty good, hoping most of those will hatch šŸ¤žšŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

I have one Chicken that i've taken in she was in the yard' I started feeding her & shes stayed, I dont have her caged & free to go if she wants, She gets broody thinking shes sitting on eggs, kinda sad. Her name is "Mrs. Hen" I think she a fighting hen? sadly "Fighting Roosters" is popular in my location šŸ˜¢. I've had her for about 3 years how time flys. Shes a happy spoiled bird.

Latest posts

Back