Has my shea butter gone bad?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just FYI...

Solid oils have a microscopic crystalline structure and are known as polymorphic (meaning "many shapes" or "many forms") because each oil can exist in more than one crystal form and the crystal forms can change from one to another. This can be noticeable because the various crystal polymorphs have different volumes, appearance and melting point.

So what is happening when you see bloom is one kind of fat crystal changing into another type, which can happen spontaneously over time or be induced by things like temperature changes. Candle makers who use soy wax, which is simply a hydrogenated oil, call it frost.

Chocolate makers are familiar with polymorphism too because of cocoa butter. When they "temper" the chocolate, they are manipulating the chocolate physically and temperature-wise so that it solidifies with a type of crystal structure that will be stable over time, has the right texture, appearance and "snap" when you bite it, and melts properly in your mouth.

Bloom, or course, is irrelevant to soapers because the crystal structure disappears when you melt the oil.

I wish I had room in the fridge or the freezer for all my oils and butters! Good to know though, which ones would you absolutely refrigerate?

Anything for which you have quantities greater than you can use up before the end of their shelf life. Also, if you buy it refrigerated, keep it refrigerated. Hemp, walnut, flaxseed and evening primrose are some examples of that. In general, liquid oils have shorter shelf life than hard oils.

There are many guides out there on shelf life, and they may give slightly variable advice. Here is one:

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...s-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/

Regardless of whether you refrigerate, always store oils in in cool, dark locations such as inside of cabinets.

Back