Has anyone used this - aloe vera

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the the Juice for mixing my lye and use fresh aloe in the soap. The aloe juice seems to help with bubbles
This I have used in soap, and does work. I used it because I was trying to use up a gallon my daughter had. http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/aloe-gel-base-unscented.asp?bc=no

I have a huge aloe plant and have been wanting to try it in soap. Wasn't sure about how to process it though. Puree and add at trace or? Do you count it as water? Take the skin off? I gave up trying to put aloe in smoothies because of that part. So slippery! lol. Thanks.

I have a huge aloe plant and have been wanting to try it in soap. Wasn't sure about how to process it though. Puree and add at trace or? Do you count it as water? Take the skin off? I gave up trying to put aloe in smoothies because of that part. So slippery! lol. Thanks.

You want to remove the skin. Easiest way is to fillet the insides off the skin then puree the gel. You would use this puree as part of the water.

I always added the puree to the lye solution but you could add it a trace. I have a weird thing about adding raw vegetable matter to soap, I have it in my head that the lye will "cook" it, helping prevent it from going bad.

Probably not true but doing it that way makes me happy and it works well in the soap. In truth though, I didn't find the fresh puree to add anything extra that I couldn't get from the store bought juice.

I just puree my aloe vera, leaf and all in the blender. I add mine at thin trace. I subtract the amount of aloe vera used from liquid used to dissolve the lye.

I just puree my aloe vera, leaf and all in the blender. I add mine at thin trace. I subtract the amount of aloe vera used from liquid used to dissolve the lye.

Guess I'll test both methods but I'm so glad to know this way works! What does it end up looking like in cured bars with whole-leaf puree? Does it add any scent/stink?

It has no odor in my soap. When the soap hardens, it may be pale green, but that fades over time. You may get tiny green specks in your soap from the outside of the leaf. I think that just adds to the interest of the soap. I have never had it go bad in my soap, using it this way. I use cucumbers the same way.

Latest posts

Back