Has anyone used the liquid colors from WSP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the stained glass ones? I think those are for M&P. I haven't tried them in soap, but I do not like them in B&B (lotion, scrubs & bath bombs). I have to use a lot of them to get a detectable color.

I've never used liquid colorants in CP mostly because I'm afraid of morphing or bleeding. However, I did just order some of the WSP stained glass powdered dyes to use in bath bombs bubble bars. Maybe I should try a small test batch in CP to see how it turns out.

I tend to use micas for my CP soaps (sometimes oxides or clays) and highly recommend the ones from Nurture Soap. The website shows what each one will look like in both CP & MP plus specifies usage rates, if they're soap stable, safe for lips/eyes, etc. I've also seen some beautiful soaps made with Mad Oils micas but the prices & shipping cost at Nurture works out better for me.

For CP, I pretty much stick with micas. Almost all come from Nurture or Mad Oils. I have a mica problem... it's almost as bad as my FO hoarding.

My personal favorites:

MO Peacock Blue
MO Voodoo Red
MO Flashdance
MO Flirt
MO Harold's Purple Crayon
MO Maniacal Pea
MO 3 Olive Martini
MO Snow White - just easier than dealing with TD
NS Black Pearl - just easier than dealing with AC
NS Klein Blue
NS Kombu Green
NS Purple Vibrance
NS Really Red
NS Super Sparkles
NS Neon Purple

Susie, are you looking only for liquid colorants, or do you want to try powders? I usually use micas because they are the easiest to deal with. I get mine from Mad Oils or Nurture as well. I recently joined Steph's Micas and More FB group, and the few I've tried from her seem to be of good quality. I really prefer a jar though, and she only has bags. Snappy gave you a great list of favorites, and I totally agree that black mica is so much easier to deal with than AC, and white is easier than TD. AC is messy, messy, messy.

I'd be happy to share my favorite mica colors if you want to go that route.

I've used liquid colours. But not from WSP. They work pretty well for a uniform but not punchy colour. Every so often I get a batch of soap where the liquid colour leeches out as I use it. Haven't narrowed down what I did wrong. They are maybe safer than micas if you are being particular, not sure.

Good thing about liquids is they are easy to measure and mix and the colour in the batter is what you get in your soap. I like oxides too.

But micas really give you punchy colours. You have to test amounts and keep notes though because the batter colour is nothing like the cured colour. Some are lip safe.

I've never used liquid colorants in CP mostly because I'm afraid of morphing or bleeding. However, I did just order some of the WSP stained glass powdered dyes to use in bath bombs bubble bars. Maybe I should try a small test batch in CP to see how it turns out.

I tend to use micas for my CP soaps (sometimes oxides or clays) and highly recommend the ones from Nurture Soap. The website shows what each one will look like in both CP & MP plus specifies usage rates, if they're soap stable, safe for lips/eyes, etc. I've also seen some beautiful soaps made with Mad Oils micas but the prices & shipping cost at Nurture works out better for me.

Oh, thank you for that info! I am just about to start playing with "not from nature" colorants, so I need all the info I can get.

ETA: snappyllama and dibbles-that is precisely the info I was looking for! Thank you so much! I am sort of playing with the idea that I might want to sell "someday", and now that I have more guinea pigs *ahem, I mean beloved family members*, I have that much needed larger test group.

Last edited:
Susie, are you looking only for liquid colorants, or do you want to try powders? I usually use micas because they are the easiest to deal with. I get mine from Mad Oils or Nurture as well. I recently joined Steph's Micas and More FB group, and the few I've tried from her seem to be of good quality. I really prefer a jar though, and she only has bags. Snappy gave you a great list of favorites, and I totally agree that black mica is so much easier to deal with than AC, and white is easier than TD. AC is messy, messy, messy.

I'd be happy to share my favorite mica colors if you want to go that route.

Yes, please? I need lots of suggestions from people who have used these in actual CP. I would rather not learn colorants using the trial-and-error method. Clays, natural powders, micas, liquid, anything that you like that works and does not morph.

The only colorants I've used were natural or micas from NS. I just placed an order from NG for some of the FUN soap colorants tho. I like micas, but NS has a minimum purchase and I don't need anything else from them at the moment since I just ordered last month. I did need some FO's from NG, so added a red and a green to my order. I have to use some before the end of the month (Christmas soap, as if the colors didn't give that away) so I'll let you know my experience.

Edited to fix my reversal of the names. :duh:

Last edited:
Yes, please? I need lots of suggestions from people who have used these in actual CP. I would rather not learn colorants using the trial-and-error method. Clays, natural powders, micas, liquid, anything that you like that works and does not morph.

Look on the challenge soap entry threads. Most people say which colours (and they are generally micas) they used and how much.

You need 2 tsp plus ppo for micas.

You know this means people will want to see your soaps now and you won't have an excuse not to enter challenges! (Not that you had much of one before because natural colourants can be great!

Last edited:
I just checked the WSP stained glass dye powders and all the colors I ordered say they will morph in CP so guess that's a no-go. I second Snappy's list of favorites from Nurture and have a few more that I really like. Alpine Green, Caribbean Blue, Mocha Brown, Copper Penny, Mango Tango, Raspberry Red & Sunshine Yellow are on my 'must-have and panic when supply is low' list.

Look on the challenge soap entry threads. Most people say which colours (and they are generally micas) they used and how much.

You need 2 tsp plus ppo for micas.

You know this means people will want to see your soaps now and you won't have an excuse not to enter challenges! (Not that you had much of one before because natural colourants can be great!

Sorry, the fancy swirls and such are not for me. I think they are gorgeous when y'all do them, but it is just not in my nature. I do practical stuff. If I can even make myself do a glittery bit on the top of the loaf, I count it fancy. Even a cocoa line occasionally. But I want people to use my soaps, not just look at them.

Well, I guess I'm not only an official FO ho, but a mica ho as well. Here you go:

1. The Vibrance micas from Nurture are great. I think most people agree with that, with the exception of the Vibrance Green. I've not had a problem with that one morphing, although it isn't my favorite green.

2. Greens: Apple Green (NS) and Maniacal Pea (MO) are the same to my eye and are a bright, happy green, Lettuce Green (MO) which is a nice springy yellow-green, Laurel Green (NS) which is a cool, minty green, 3 Olive Martini (MO) which is one I actually use more often than I thought I would. Kombu Green (NS) which is a beautiful, dark green.

3. Blues: Klein Blue (NS) and Twighlight Blue (MO) are not the same, but very similar - deep blue, Sky Blue (NS) is a pretty light blue. I think you could get similar results with Vibrance Blue mixed with a touch of black or white.

4. Purple: Wisteria Purple (NS) is deep, dark. Other than that I've just used Vibrance Purple in varying amounts for the shade I want. Flash Dance (MO) is a pretty pink/purple - berry color.

5. Orange: Other than Vibrance Orange, I probably use Tangerine Dream (MO) or Mango Tango (NS) the most often (again, they are the same to my eye). I do sometimes mix a little Neon Orange (NS is a more red-orange color and MO is a more yellow-orange color, and I prefer Nurture's) for a better pop. Orange can be tricky for me.

6. Red: Spicy Red Tomato (MO) and Red Vibrance are, if not the same, very close in color. Really Red (NS) is a true bright red, but the soap has to gel.

7. Pink: Amaranth Pink (NS) is a lovely soft pink, Pink Vibrance is a good all-around pink, and Raspberry Red (NS) and VooDoo (MO) are the same, both are beautiful and bright.

8. A black and a white. Right now, I'm using Black Pearl (NS) and Snow White (MO), but when I need to reorder, I'd be comfortable using a black or white from either place.

9. Bronze Brown (NS), Mocha Brown (NS), Satin Penny (MO), Sister Golden Hair (MO) and Gold Finger (MO).

Whew, quite a lot huh? I don't quite know what colors you are looking for. If I had to choose, starting from scratch and knowing what I know now:

A black and a white, Raspberry Red or VooDoo, Bronze Brown or Mocha Brown, Gold Finger (which is closer to a copper than a traditional gold), Apple Green or Maniacal Pea, Vibrance Blue, Vibrance Yellow, Mango Tango or Tangerine Dream, Vibrance Red or Spicy Red Tomato, Vibrance Pink.

FWIW, I haven't had any color morphing with any of the micas I've used. The pictures on the Nurture site are pretty accurate on my monitor, and I appreciate that they are there. I'm sure that Mad Oils has colors that compare to the Vibrance micas at Nurture, I just haven't tried any that I thought were like what I already had. Playing with color is so much fun. We need to see pictures!!!

Well, I guess I'm not only an official FO ho, but a mica ho as well. Here you go:

1. The Vibrance micas from Nurture are great. I think most people agree with that, with the exception of the Vibrance Green. I've not had a problem with that one morphing, although it isn't my favorite green.

2. Greens: Apple Green (NS) and Maniacal Pea (MO) are the same to my eye and are a bright, happy green, Lettuce Green (MO) which is a nice springy yellow-green, Laurel Green (NS) which is a cool, minty green, 3 Olive Martini (MO) which is one I actually use more often than I thought I would. Kombu Green (NS) which is a beautiful, dark green.

3. Blues: Klein Blue (NS) and Twighlight Blue (MO) are not the same, but very similar - deep blue, Sky Blue (NS) is a pretty light blue. I think you could get similar results with Vibrance Blue mixed with a touch of black or white.

4. Purple: Wisteria Purple (NS) is deep, dark. Other than that I've just used Vibrance Purple in varying amounts for the shade I want. Flash Dance (MO) is a pretty pink/purple - berry color.

5. Orange: Other than Vibrance Orange, I probably use Tangerine Dream (MO) or Mango Tango (NS) the most often (again, they are the same to my eye). I do sometimes mix a little Neon Orange (NS is a more red-orange color and MO is a more yellow-orange color, and I prefer Nurture's) for a better pop. Orange can be tricky for me.

6. Red: Spicy Red Tomato (MO) and Red Vibrance are, if not the same, very close in color. Really Red (NS) is a true bright red, but the soap has to gel.

7. Pink: Amaranth Pink (NS) is a lovely soft pink, Pink Vibrance is a good all-around pink, and Raspberry Red (NS) and VooDoo (MO) are the same, both are beautiful and bright.

8. A black and a white. Right now, I'm using Black Pearl (NS) and Snow White (MO), but when I need to reorder, I'd be comfortable using a black or white from either place.

9. Bronze Brown (NS), Mocha Brown (NS), Satin Penny (MO), Sister Golden Hair (MO) and Gold Finger (MO).

Whew, quite a lot huh? I don't quite know what colors you are looking for. If I had to choose, starting from scratch and knowing what I know now:

A black and a white, Raspberry Red or VooDoo, Bronze Brown or Mocha Brown, Gold Finger (which is closer to a copper than a traditional gold), Apple Green or Maniacal Pea, Vibrance Blue, Vibrance Yellow, Mango Tango or Tangerine Dream, Vibrance Red or Spicy Red Tomato, Vibrance Pink.

FWIW, I haven't had any color morphing with any of the micas I've used. The pictures on the Nurture site are pretty accurate on my monitor, and I appreciate that they are there. I'm sure that Mad Oils has colors that compare to the Vibrance micas at Nurture, I just haven't tried any that I thought were like what I already had. Playing with color is so much fun. We need to see pictures!!!

Thank you! These lists are invaluable! Now I can order the "Choose 10" sample pack from NS with far more confidence.

I just wish they had sample packs of their FOs, because apparently I'm becoming an FO ho also.

Sorry, the fancy swirls and such are not for me. I think they are gorgeous when y'all do them, but it is just not in my nature. I do practical stuff. If I can even make myself do a glittery bit on the top of the loaf, I count it fancy. Even a cocoa line occasionally. But I want people to use my soaps, not just look at them.

Yup. I know that's what you've said before but if you are going to sell...well now is your chance to let that creative side take over :)

I like Nurture's Hollywood Pink. It's a dark bright pink. They have pretty accurate colour samples on their site. For browns I think I still prefer coffee water or a cinnamon line.

Vibrancy yellow is a true bright yellow.

For black I like AC. But I think you get a crisper line with mica.

Last edited:
I'm a nurse, and I have given AC to many a child, so if I can avoid AC, I'm all for it. I have ruined so many shoes and such with AC, you have no idea.

The soapmakers that sell the most soap at the farmer's markets here and in Louisiana have mostly solid colored plain soap. Occasionally they have a simple swirl or a bit of mica sprinkled over the top. Nothing really fancy. And the person that wants me to wholesale to their shop has opaque bags that they will be providing.

I buy my colorants from Nuture or Mad Oils. That's a great list above and I own most of them and they work great in cp

I've used liquid dyes from WSP in my CP. They don't seem to mix in well, kinda streaky, but well enough so you really can't tell. When I've used the blue, soap turned a pinky gray color but was the right blue color the next day.

I'm a nurse, and I have given AC to many a child, so if I can avoid AC, I'm all for it. I have ruined so many shoes and such with AC, you have no idea.

The soapmakers that sell the most soap at the farmer's markets here and in Louisiana have mostly solid colored plain soap. Occasionally they have a simple swirl or a bit of mica sprinkled over the top. Nothing really fancy. And the person that wants me to wholesale to their shop has opaque bags that they will be providing.

Great that you know your market and it is a perfect fit for you.
Very best of luck with your new venture.

Latest posts

Back