Has anyone used craft foam to line molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaitriBB

Reaction score
Someone on one of the mailing lists that I subscribe to has described the process of using craft foam to line her wooden molds. She cut out the pieces to fit the sides exactly, and you can stick it on there, then pull it off after making the soap, wash, and stick back on. I have the craft foam purchased but haven't tried to line the mold yet. Was wondering if anyone else has tried it.

I'm not sure about craft foam. But I know you can use corrugated plastic exactly as you described. It would interesting if you could use the craft foam though & less expensive! :)

I used to use craft foam for about a year or 2 to line my molds with back in the day (about 4 years ago), and I had mixed results with them. Although they worked great for the most part, they would sometimes cause my soap to have craters along the surface edges. To explain- when I took my soap out of the mold and peeled off the foam liners, the surface of the soap just underneath the liners were pock-marked with craters, making the surfaces of my soap look like the surface of the moon. I was never able to pin down the reason why it would happen because it seemed to occurr so randomly, but for what it's worth, I never got craters when I used freezer paper (my liner of choice before I started using the foam).

Nowadays, depending on my mood, I use either heat-resistant quilter's mylar from Joanne's Fabric store (found down the quilting aisle), or one of the decorative Wilton fondant mats made out of silicone that you can find at Michael's Craft Store and Joanne's Fabrics (I really love the 'Graceful Vines' one). They both work great and never give my soap craters. I cut them both to fit my mold in the same manner that I used cut the craft foam to fit, and I 'stick' them to the sides of my wood mold with a little vaseline dabbed on the back, and then soap away. The mylar liners give my soap's surface a super-smooth, glassy finish every time, and the fondant mat liners do the same while also imprinting a beautiful twisting vine design on the surface.

Oh- I should mention that I lightly 'grease the sides of the mylar liners that will be touching my soap with a little mineral oil to prevent sticking. I don't need to do that with the silicone fondant mat, though. That stuff peels off like buttah with no outside help from me at all.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add- these liners last forever, too. My mylar liners are about 4 years old (the same ones), and my fondant mat liners are a little more than a year or so old now. Both are still in great shape.

I've seen the fondant mats, and ordered some from an online bakery supply store. Didn't pay much attention to the size listed on the website. When they came I was disappointed to see they were very small. Maybe I will check a craft store and see if they have larger ones :) Thanks for the ideas!

Irishlass. You cut the Myles or silicone mat to fit the mold (I assume one made of wood), how do you seal the seams?

TeriDk said:
Irishlass. You cut the Myles or silicone mat to fit the mold (I assume one made of wood), how do you seal the seams?

I was wondering the same thing. I'll have to take a trip to Joann's. it sounds like a great idea!

Craft foam sounds interesting, but I haven't had any problems just using cut up plastic garbage bags to line my wooden moulds with :)

TeriDk said:

Believe it or not, I actually don't do anything to seal them. I just make sure to cut each piece out so that each side abuts up against each other close enough at the seams to prevent leakage. Of course, this means that one needs to be very precise when it comes to cutting the liners out, which can be a little unnerving, but once you cut them out right, you never need to do it again. The way I do it is that I first measure out each dimension of my mold, then cut each individual liner piece out a little larger than needed, and then I whittle each piece down bit by bit until the fit is right. I should also mention that I like to pour my soaps at medium to medium-thick trace. I suppose if I were to ever pour really thin there might be some leakage, but for what it's worth, I never get any leakage with medium to med-thick trace.

IrishLass :)

:D thank you Irishlass! Your knowledge of soap making is impressive! :D

Latest posts

Back