has anyone used canolive oil? -new pic added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
I bought 4 gallons of it, to try, haven't made a batch yet (since my mother died in March, I've been in a fog).

I emailed the company and they told me that their blend uses 60%olive, 40% canola.

I am looking forward to making a batch with it, maybe today.

anyone else ever tried this oil? the brand is Saporito.

That's pretty high in canola oil. Canola has a lot of linoleic acid (as does OO), which makes it prone to DOS and rancidity. I checked out those percentages on Soapcalc, and you will end up with a bar that is softer even than pure castile soap (100% olive oil). It will definitely be conditioning, but will be prone to DOS. My guess is you'll need to let it cure for several months, just like a 100% olive oil soap, otherwise your lather may seem slimy.

LushishLux said:
What does DOS stand for?

To clarify, dreaded orange spots are a sign of rancidity in your soap. Certain oils like soy, canola, hemp, and grape seed are prone to rancidity in high % Your soap will either get orange spots or will turn yellowy-orange and will develop an off-odor.

You can preserve the shelf life of fragile oils by adding rosemary oleoresin extract or vitamin E and by keeping them refrigerated. Best solution is to not use them at all or in small quantities.

I know that sunflower oil also has a short shelf life - only 6 months.

So....does nobody here use canola oil in soap?

No responses?

well i went ahead and made my first batch of Canolive oil soap this morning, scented it with Yuzu and swirled an orange swirl into it. Yuzu is sometimes considered, in China as "mandarin grapefruit", hence the orange swirl.

I will name this soap Mandarin Grapefruit, cuz Yuzu is not well-received by my customers (very conservative).

I will be in my 10th spring tour this May. This year I didn't feel up to making a LOT of soap, so I invited a student and friend of mine to share it with me. I will do Saturday, she will do Sunday, and on Monday, we'll put our leftovers together and spend time together. Should be interesting, esp since she refers to herself as 'reclusive' and asked at first: "WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? (i.e. share my customers with her). ANSWER: I'm getting really tired of doing shows and tours, want to get into other work too.....more mosaics, write my memoirs etc.....

I'll take pics again, to show you.

I've been using some Canola Oil in my recipes but very little 15% or so?. So far so good but I will let it cure a good, long time now.

i used canola early on, and after about six months had to pitch a bunch of batches due to dos. i avoid canola and hemp (though i love the latter). i use high oleic sunflower at a low percentage, no more than 15 percent...

Here's what they look like, 9 days old....pretty hard. I made these bars small, 2.5 ounces, and colored with pink clay. Scent is Yuzu FO.

Canolive%20bars%202weeks.JPG

One bar fits my rather smallish hand:
Canolive%20bar%20One.JPG

They lather well, but mostly fluffy, less stable lather.

Canolive%20lather.JPG

I'll keep this batch for 2 more weeks, watching for DOS. The recipe contains olivecanola oil, organic coconut, organic palm kernel, organic cocoa butter, castor. The canolive and castor oils contain some preservatives themselves, so maybe they help stave off DOS.

I will keep you posted about its progress.

Interesting experiment Woodi. I'll be following this thread for your updates. The soap looks lovely.

Gee Irena, thanks for the warning....now I'll be watching extra carefully. Could it be that your oil was already old?

This Saporito brand is so much cheaper.

A batch of my usual bars using this oil cost less than half of my recipe using all olive instead of CanOlive.

Woodi said:
Gee Irena, thanks for the warning....now I'll be watching extra carefully. Could it be that your oil was already old?

This Saporito brand is so much cheaper.

A batch of my usual bars using this oil cost less than half of my recipe using all olive instead of CanOlive.
I don't know how old the oil was at the time when I bought it, but it smelled fine.

I am LOVING these bars! Hard, smooth feeling on hands afterwards, best of all - cheaper than my olive/coc/pk/shea/cocoa butter/castor bars.

Will do more experiments with this oil, very soon. I want to try a castille bar with my usual 100% pomace olive oil, and also a batch with 100% canola-olive.....just to see the difference. Will use no scent also, to test the smell of it.

Latest posts

Back