Has anyone used beets or beet juice to make soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I'm curious if it is usable or a waste of time. Also if there are any hiccups to the process that I should be aware of.

TIA :)

Last edited:
Why would you use it? If its for the color, then its a waste of time. The pretty pink will turn brown.

Awww will it? Well that's a total bummer. I was putting beets in something I was cooking and thought how pretty the color would be and decided to ask you folks (figured someone has probably tried it already LOL)

Ty for the response. I won't waste my time then.

Very disappointing news ....

So you're saying she should.......drop the beet?

:) - 8)
LOL
There are only two natural pink colorants I know of, madder root and rhubarb root.
I was watching a few YouTube videos that showed using pureed or juiced veggies to color soap, none of which turned brown on them, so it made me curious if beets could be used also. I'd love to make soap that was that amazing vibrant fuchsia color

I use beet powder sprinkled atop my soap. I know that it will brown, eventually, but until then...

I didn't think of beet powder, but if it's going to turn brown I won't bother. Maybe it has to do with the amount of sugars in the veggies. If spinach and carrots etc don't morph, but beets do, it must be the sugars. Hmmmm. I watched those YouTube vids and thought how the heck are they preventing them from turning brown?? It's probably the veggie choices. Drats.

TY all for the feedback. :)

It isn't the sugars, it's the pH of the soap that does it. I will tell you that in my soap it takes a good long time for the color to change.

Watermelon juice turns soap pink and purée lawn grass turns a soap green. See videos on soap 101.

I am going to try watermelon next week when my Shea butter arrives.

I'd like to know how long these vegetable soaps last. Could you use them in Castile soap that has to cure for 12 months?
Does turning them into a powder mean the soap last longer than if you used a purée?

Last edited:
Watermelon juice turns soap pink and purée lawn grass turns a soap green. See videos on soap 101.

I am going to try watermelon next week when my Shea butter arrives.

I'd like to know how long these vegetable soaps last. Could you use them in Castile soap that has to cure for 12 months?
Does turning them into a powder mean the soap last longer than if you used a purée?

Watermelon turns it pink?? Hmmmm :)

Yep- it's all about the pH. You just need to find fruits and veggies that aren't phased by the higher pH of lye-based soap.

IrishLass :)

http://www.lovinsoap.com/2011/07/color-soap-naturally-testing-herbs-and-spices-for-ph-stability/

This is what happens to beet in soap.

Unfortunately the article doesn't give the ph of the beet. The more alkaline a substance the more likely it is to be stable in lye. The more acid the more likely it is to morph.
Yep- it's all about the pH. You just need to find fruits and veggies that aren't phased by the higher pH of lye-based soap.

IrishLass :)

Well that is good news :) Another thing to research!

As usual, I can share a story of what didn't work for me. My beautiful green soap made with spirulina infused oil eventually faded to a brownish green color after a few months.

As usual, I can share a story of what didn't work for me. My beautiful green soap made with spirulina infused oil eventually faded to a brownish green color after a few months.

Oh no! What was your soap recipe? Did you use a FO or EO in your mix?
Do you have any idea why this might have happened? :Kitten Love:

I do know that if you add Sprulina powder to the lye it will turn brown. Did you add your infused oil at trace or to the lye solution?

Last edited:
If I can remember correctly, it was 10% CO, 10% PKO, 20% OO, 5% Castor, and the rest lard.

I infused the oils with powder in a teabag for several weeks into my OO. The oil itself was so dark green that it almost looked black. When mixing it into the soap, it was a perfect shade of green. Not it's brownish greenish yellow.

Latest posts

Back