Has anyone tried to make something like Bodyglide?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
It's gotten REALLY hot and humid out, and my new job has me working outside in a little glass box on top of my machine (I move trailers around a freight yard), and I also do a lot of jumping in and out and running back and forth along the trailers. I sweat a LOT, and it is causing some unpleasant chafe issues. I have a really nice lotion bar that I have tried to use as an alternative to Bag Balm (which does work but is extremely greasy and feels almost as unpleasant as the chafe!) but the lotion bar seems a little 'sticky' which is not a big help on the moving parts that chafe. My lotion bars are equal parts beeswax, shea butter, and an oil (hard like babassu or soft like avocado). I also make babassu/magnesium hydroxide deodorant which I have not tried as an anti-chafe agent. I wonder if that would work? I need some kind of slippery oil without feeling greasy. I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe the lotion bar recipe with less beeswax? Any ideas??

When I need protection from chafing, I do a lot better when I use a powder than a lotion or salve. The salve/lotion tends to wear off or (like you said) feel waxy and sticky, while a powder does a better job of staying in place and letting my skin glide rather than rub.

Teresa had a nice recipe for an anti-chafe powder awhile back ... lemme see if I can dig it up for you ....

edit: Here it is -- https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/un-talcum-powder.63705/

If you look at the ingredients of body glide, it seems pretty simple. Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), Cetearyl Alcohol, Ozokerite Wax, Glyceryl Behenate, Stearyl Alcohol, Allantoin, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)

The only one of those ingredients that I don't own and haven't used in my lotion and deoderant making is the glyceryl behenate. I've just been making normal lotion, not the bars.

When trying to increase glide in my lotion, Cetyl alcohol is what I go to. Might be something to try.

Latest posts

Back