Has Anyone tried this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this from hartnana.com

Goat Milk Soap Recipe

18 oz slushy raw goat milk
6 oz water
6 oz lye (sodium hydroxide)
9 oz olive oil
10 oz coconut oil
24 oz vegetable shortening or lard

My concern is that this is an awful lot of liquid for this recipe as it is a CP. My gripe with the page's owner, however, is that she gave some poor advice to someone as far as cutting the recipe in half but keeping the lye the same. I guess I could groan about that another place.

Any anyone used a recipe like this with about 4 parts liquid and one part lye?

I haven't tried using that much liquid and never will. What's the point? Also, I always get very suspicious when a recipe calls for all ingredients in whole ounces, no decimals. This usually tells me the person who wrote the recipe isn't being very precise so SF can end up too high or too low. At that conclusion I've lost all trust in the soap maker's knowledge. When I put this recipe into SoapCalc it gave me NaOH at 6.12oz (5% SF) and full water at 16.34. I wonder what the reasoning is using that much liquid? Also, does the soap maker explain this recipe will no longer be 5% SF but much higher depending on the fat content of the GM?

You need to run that recipe through a soap calc. Never use a recipe without doing so. If it's HP that's a lot for the liquid (water/GM). Also, I highly recommend measuring in grams, not ounces as it is much more accurate.

Last edited:
Are they hot processing? If so that much liquid isn't unusual as I understand.

No, this is a cold processing recipe. Even in Hot process, I tend to use 3:1 water to lye and it's serving me fine so far.

I haven't tried using that much liquid and never will. What's the point? Also, I always get very suspicious when a recipe calls for all ingredients in whole ounces, no decimals. This usually tells me the person who wrote the recipe isn't being very precise so SF can end up too high or too low. At that conclusion I've lost all trust in the soap maker's knowledge. When I put this recipe into SoapCalc it gave me NaOH at 6.12oz (5% SF) and full water at 16.34. I wonder what the reasoning is using that much liquid? Also, does the soap maker explain this recipe will no longer be 5% SF but much higher depending on the fat content of the GM?

Good points. She only goes through basic how-to's. she gives the temperature of oils an lye solution as well. You can read the recipe here if you like. Running the recipe through the soap calc with a 40oz batch in mind actually gave me whole ounces when the percentages were kept in the fives.

Other than the overly high water amount and the dodgy advice all round, the recipe seems..........well...........meh. Lots of lard is good, but then why the OO in that amount? An 80% Lard, 15% CO and 5% castor recipe would be better

In the future, I'm more open to try beef tallow. If eating pork gives me allergenic skin issues, I'm afraid of what the fat may do.

I use tallow as well as lard. The lard is just easier. I don't have to render it, and wait for it. I usual render 10 lbs at a time. That lasts me a while. I use whatever I have on hand. I'm not completely sold on the lard part. I'm trying to learn to love it, but just not feeling it yet. I like to make flowers and pretty shapes and they don't come out of the molds with out freezing them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??

I use tallow as well as lard. The lard is just easier. I don't have to render it, and wait for it. I usual render 10 lbs at a time. That lasts me a while. I use whatever I have on hand. I'm not completely sold on the lard part. I'm trying to learn to love it, but just not feeling it yet. I like to make flowers and pretty shapes and they don't come out of the molds with out freezing them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??

It's been some time since this thread was posted. Since then, I have tried beef tallow and lard. I honestly would not know about the mold issues; I have never had them. Maybe you could try a little lining of petroleum jelly or miner oil, if I'm recalling right.

3:1 in my opinion is a lot of water in even in hp. It will take a more than 4 weeks to cure and dry out. Maybe this is why I have had my former customers complaining how fast the soap they bought from other vendors in my market, while I was gone for a few months, had their soap melt away in a week. One told me his soap melted in 8 days and mine last him a month. I know he uses wood soap decks because I have given him several. This is just one reason for a long cure. I do not even use full water in hp if I have to hp a batch

3:1 in my opinion is a lot of water in even in hp. It will take a more than 4 weeks to cure and dry out. Maybe this is why I have had my former customers complaining how fast the soap they bought from other vendors in my market, while I was gone for a few months, had their soap melt away in a week. One told me his soap melted in 8 days and mine last him a month. I know he uses wood soap decks because I have given him several. This is just one reason for a long cure. I do not even use full water in hp if I have to hp a batch

I see your point. I haven't played around with numbers for HP but this was a very eventful school year where I have little time to babysit a HP batch. Even liquid soap allows for more time spent with my junior con-artist-in-training (this kid tries to talk her way out of homework EVERYDAY)

I'm not completely sold on the lard part. I'm trying to learn to love it, but just not feeling it yet. I like to make flowers and pretty shapes and they don't come out of the molds without freezing them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??

I use lard at 50% and my soap pops out of my pretty molds with no issues. I use 2:1 water:lye

Back