Has anyone tried this GM method?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that others have tried it this way with good results, but I must be milk-soap impaired or something where this method is concerned because the milk always burned for me whenever I tried it. :?

Nevertheless, I still make lots of lovely goat milk soaps, only I use the method where you divide your liquid amount into part water and part milk. I add the lye to the water part, and then I add the milk part either to my oils before adding the lye/water mixture, or just after, or at trace. Works like a charm for me and my milk never burns or makes my soap discolor, even if it gels (and it always does- gel, I mean).

I can even make my lquid amount equal to 100% goatmilk this way by adding enough goatmilk powder to the milk part of my liquid amount to make it super concentrated before adding it to my oils or at trace. It's a great way to get a 100% goat milk concentration without ever having to add any lye to the milk. And it also gives you a light colored soap (instead of tan or brown). It's super easy, too. HTH! :)

IrishLass

IrishLass

Irish Lass: this is how I just made my first GM batch. See Photo Gallery for a pic. It is quite white and smells nice even though I did not use scent.
I made more today in the same way. Next, I want to add the milk powder to the fresh GM to make a higher concentration. I used the same method for buttermilk soap that I made last week!! It was low stress for me!! Now, I'm hooked! The hard part is going to be waiting the 4-6 weeks for the cure!!

Goat's milk soap is fun and easy to make. I use the canned goat's milk so you need to remember that it needs to be mixed with water. But instead of water I use aloe vera juice and I keep them seperate. I mix the aloe juice with the lye and then I add the canned concentrated goat's milk at trace. So when my soap is complete I have used 100% goat's milk in my soap, yet I also have the benefit of the aloe and it's easy to use.

For example if my recipe calls for 12 ounces of liquid. I use 6 ounces of aloe vera juice and 6 ounces of the canned still concentrated goat's milk.

And the milk will not burn using this method.

I have never experienced any negative effects from mixing the lye in with my aloe vera juice.

I buy mine at wal-mart but K-mart also carries it, and i'm not sure about target. It's in the laxative section, and costs about $8.00 a gallon.

that's how i do it when i am lucky enough to find fresh or liquid in the dairy section. or am using a combo of heavy cream and aloe juice or any veggie puree.

i just make sure that the oils are cool ( just barely warm to the touch when you wrap your hands around the outside of the soaping pot ) or room temp.

depending on the fragrance, cause some heat like a rocket on their own i may or may not put the milk cubes in a cold water bath too. so everything is almost cold when i mix.

dump the lye on the cubes and stir the pewillies out of it ( be careful of splashing ), till all the cubes are melted and the lye is dissolved.

i will run my sb in this mixture on low ( be real careful if you do this and start out with the sb on the both of your container and do not raise it up if the blender is going ). this helps break up the milk fat that has started trying to bind with the lye by itself while the rest of the milk was melting. i then pour this thru a very fine ss strainer just in case there is some undissolved lye, although with adequite stirring this has never been a problem.

depending on how long this all took, the mixture is off white to lemon colored and gives me a light cream colored soap base if left uncolored and the fragrance doesn't discolor.

Latest posts

Back