Has anyone tried mixing two soap recipes in one batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeLoveWabiSabi

Reaction score
I know this sounds like a strange thing to ask, but I have an idea to make a particular combination of two soaps that I make, only I would like to use my original recipes for each soap. Let me explain. I make activated charcoal soap using a blend of oils including tallow. I also make pine tar soap that I use lard in (and a different balance of other oils) because pine tar soap seizes and it doesn't seize up as fast when I make it with lard. I want to make a dual pine tar and activated charcoal soap but if you put activated charcoal in the pine tar soap it will likely seize even faster. I was thinking that if I made two batches of the two soaps and either layered one on top of the other or drop poured one into the other, it could work. But they are two COMPLETELY different soap recipes. I have put different recipe soap chunks, fully saponified, into my batches before with no issue, obviously. But do you think it would work out with two completely different recipes mixed in the same loaf as soap batter? I don't have an chemistry background, but I do like to experiment. I have looked around the web and found nothing of the sort, so I just thought I might ask to see if anyone has tried it or has any opinions on what would/could happen. I might just give it a go with a small batch and see what comes of it. If I do, I'll add an update.
TIA.

It should work fine. The different recipes might set up a little different but I don't see that being a issue in the finished soap
I would probably do a drop swirl in the mold or a in the pot swirl. The brown and black will look nice together.
Any scent ideas? Something woody or tobacco would work well

Oooh, tobacco!...I hadn't thought of that. I already have a great custom EO blend that I use for my basic pine tar that accents the kind of smoky pine tar scent so it smells really woodsy. Honestly though, I don't mind the scent of pine tar in the finished soap like some people do. It's pretty basic IMO, and I use 20% PT in my recipe. I was thinking maybe vanilla patchouli, or a bay rum, but I kind of like your tobacco idea (I'll have to put that on my list of things to order). Have you used tobacco scent before? Any recommendations?

I wouldn't worry about setting up either. One might just take longer than the other. I might just need to wait a little longer to unmold it. I briefly thought of doing an in the pot swirl but just the fact that pine tar sets up so fast, I'd be concerned about having two consistencies in one pot and it not pouring well. At least toward the end of the pour. I like the idea of a drop pour, and if it stays thin long enough (doubtful) maybe even go for a hanger swirl

I think my biggest concern was maybe if one heats up more than the other or something and I end up getting a volcano (never had that one happen yet, fingers crossed) or it somehow ends up separating for some reason. I don't CPOP (the traditional way) but I do store my soaps in the oven with the light on overnight after making a batch, so it does warm up a bit. I could always just let it sit out on the counter uncovered, just to keep it cooler.

Oh, awesome! Looking at the scent profile, with the vanilla, patchouli, earthy, woody, AND tobacco, that sounds perfect. Thanks!! And I don't even have to worry about the vanilla content mucking with he color with this soap. ;) Price looks good too! Thanks!

The only possible issue I can think of relates to the solubility of the two different recipes. For example, if one recipe is lower in stearic + palmitic and/or higher in coconut oil, it might dissolve away faster than the other recipe. In that case, design would help, e.g. less noticeable in a swirled design compared with a layered design. I once made a layered soap that had one uncolored layer and a second layer with indigo colorant dispersed in oil. I added the indigo oil as a bit more superfat, but did not add extra oil to the uncolored layer. Even after a very long cure, the extra superfatted layer was more soluble compared with the uncolored layer.

It should work fine, but you will need to time your batch making so both can be poured in the mold when you want. You wouldn’t want one to seize up while you are waiting on the other to come to trace.

I can't imagine trying to do a decorative technique with pine tar soap, even the simplest of swirls. I've made enough PT soap to be tolerably decent at it, but I never get enough working time to do anything more than the bare bones.

I second the advice to make a basic PT soap, turn it into confetti, and use the confetti in a second soap.

Didn't someone just make a PT confetti soap? I think I saw a picture recently, and it was very pretty. If it was me, I'd do layers. I have no experience with PT, but I've read so many times about how fast it moves. And charcoal really gets thick quick for me as well.

ETA: It was @Obsidian who made the soap I was thinking of - picture in post #8 of this thread Pine tar confetti soap

Last edited:
Yes, that soap was my way to try and use the pine tar soap that I very much dislike the smell of.
It was a high lard recipe with 10% pine tar and was around a year old. No problems at all using it as confetti.
Think I will add some to a salt soap next.

I can't imagine trying to do a decorative technique with pine tar soap, even the simplest of swirls. I've made enough PT soap to be tolerably decent at it, but I never get enough working time to do anything more than the bare bones.

I second the advice to make a basic PT soap, turn it into confetti, and use the confetti in a second soap.

I've got my recipe and technique down to being able to pour it thin. It's hard because when I think i just need to stir it a little bit more,I have to curb myself or it'll get thick. But usually not unpourable. I like mine completely square with a smooth top.

But with the thin recipe, I think I could get away with at least a drop pour. Of course I'd have to have it ready before adding the lye to the pine tar.

Who knows, it could be a disaster. Goodness knows I've had Plenty of those. But if it does, I guess I'll have lots of soap to do the confetti thing. 🤣

Back