Has anyone tried Lottie's Dog Shampoo Bar from Humblebee and Me?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have made and used HB’s Lotties dog soap for the past three years on my dog. Cleans well, lathers nicely. I use tiny bit of Lavender EO. Have always used a leave in conditioner as my dog has long hair. Conditioner is called Cowboy Magic which I purchase online.

@KiwiMoose I was hesitant to use a CP soap on the dog since the pH is wrong for humans and I assumed it wouldn't be okay on dogs either. Do you have a special recipe for the dog, aside from adding neem oil?

@bwtapestry Lottie's formula sounds much more gentle than the Cowboy Magic shampoo, but their conditioner sounds good enough to use on my own hair! I bet your dog smells wonderful.

Bar soap ( non-syndet) is available here for purchase and people use it, so I figured I'd make my own, as we all know handmade is better than commercial ;). No special recipe - just a few tweaks to accommodate the neem.

Dog's skin has a higher ( more alkaline) pH than humans so my rationale is that they are more tolerant to bar soap than we are.

Bar soap ( non-syndet) is available here for purchase and people use it, so I figured I'd make my own, as we all know handmade is better than commercial ;). No special recipe - just a few tweaks to accommodate the neem.

Dog's skin has a higher ( more alkaline) pH than humans so my rationale is that they are more tolerant to bar soap than we are.
And considering some of the stuff my dogs roll in, their skin just can't be that overly sensitive to much of anything 😝

@KiwiMoose I was hesitant to use a CP soap on the dog since the pH is wrong for humans and I assumed it wouldn't be okay on dogs either. Do you have a special recipe for the dog, aside from adding neem oil?

@bwtapestry Lottie's formula sounds much more gentle than the Cowboy Magic shampoo, but their conditioner sounds good enough to use on my own hair! I bet your dog smells wonderful.
He has very unruly hair. This is him with some Pethead color.

Attachments

• F5CC261F-967F-4DD7-B2C1-808FF0634260.jpeg
    F5CC261F-967F-4DD7-B2C1-808FF0634260.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
We've got a 100-lb sometimes stinky Labrador Retriever. DH gave her a bath today with Dawn, and it got me to thinking: I'm making syndet bars for humans, what can I make for our doggy friends? Have any of you tried this one or any other syndet doggy recipe?

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/lotties-dog-shampoo-bar/
When making syndet shampoo bars I push the dough into guest size soap molds until it fills the mold well. Then cover with plastic wrap and roll across in various directions using rolling pin. Flattens the dough while helping ease dough into the molds. Plastic wrap keeps dough from sticking to pin. Then into freezer until nicely frozen. Freezing allows gentle pushing out of molds without bending or breaking soaps. I give five to ten days drying. Love to wrap in smell through polyolefin bags from Twowildhares (Etsy). I do not shrink wrap as I dislike the smothered look and feel. I do heat seal open top of polyolefin bags to keep dust free. I have stored bars this way for a very long time and they age well. Use Brambleberry mold which makes nine bars. Yesterday made human bar soap mango mango humblebee recipe using Seabuckthorn oil to color. I like raspberry FO with a tiny touch of peppermint for scent. Added finely ground marshmallow root at .5% of cocoa butter for conditioner. Will update when I try one out in ten days. These are for family, self, and friends. Hopefully this info is helpful.

Attachments

• 4D3463BC-A902-4162-B8FF-6476B642E227.jpeg
    4D3463BC-A902-4162-B8FF-6476B642E227.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6A7B5209-1B98-419C-B65D-9EDB0FD7874B.jpeg
    6A7B5209-1B98-419C-B65D-9EDB0FD7874B.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
I have made syndet shampoo bars for my dogs for many years. They’re so handy to use on a wiggling animal. Their Ph is a little higher than ours,about 6-6.5. I even used violet#2 in the ones I used to make for our white dogs, to brighten the yellowing of their fur.
I use a large bone shaped mold I got from WSP…it’s the perfect shape and size for large dogs. It doesn’t slip out of your hand and the “knobs”on the bone are great for reaching into tight areas.
I have made them for horses also, but find that the high cost of ingredients makes owners balk at purchasing them. I make them as gifts for a friend now…I don’t own a horse. Horse Ph is about 7, from research I’ve done.

I have made syndet shampoo bars for my dogs for many years. They’re so handy to use on a wiggling animal. Their Ph is a little higher than ours,about 6-6.5. I even used violet#2 in the ones I used to make for our white dogs, to brighten the yellowing of their fur.
I use a large bone shaped mold I got from WSP…it’s the perfect shape and size for large dogs. It doesn’t slip out of your hand and the “knobs”on the bone are great for reaching into tight areas.
I have made them for horses also, but find that the high cost of ingredients makes owners balk at purchasing them. I make them as gifts for a friend now…I don’t own a horse. Horse Ph is about 7, from research I’ve done.
I totally agree with you that the bars are so much easier to use than liquid on a squirmy dog. And if you drop the bar, it doesn't spill!

Do you use the Humblebee (Lottie's) recipe or something else?

I use one from Swifty Crafty Monkey, out of a book that I purchased. It’s not meant for dogs, I just adjust the Ph for them after researching.
I use a very conditioning one, as digs have much better gunner skin that humans do…who knew?!
It has mango butter and jojoba oil, with argan oil.

Oh my goodness!!! Should have proofread better!!! Dogs have much THINNER skin…not gunner.

Does syndet bars clean or deodorize better than store bought dog shampoo? After bathing, my dogs still smell doggy lol.

I've used a neem based lye soap on them before and it removes all odors

We've got a 100-lb sometimes stinky Labrador Retriever. DH gave her a bath today with Dawn, and it got me to thinking: I'm making syndet bars for humans, what can I make for our doggy friends? Have any of you tried this one or any other syndet doggy recipe?

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/lotties-dog-shampoo-bar/
The HumbleBeeandme Lottie’s dog shampoo bar is the product I’ve used on my dog for two years. Works great. I have a dog whose hair tangles easily so use Cowboy Magic leave in conditioner after he is towel dried.

Back