Has anyone seen anything like this before? (Fragrance weirdness)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
Hi friends.

I was making a batch of soap and decided to test some new fragrances with a little left over batter.

Two of the fragrances discoloured yellow, which I expected, however, the 3rd got these weird brown spots in it. The fragrance is eucalyptus and spearmint. The ingredients of the batter are cocoa butter, coconut oil, olive, rice bran and sunflower.

xFxr1fd.png

D6QqWra.png

None of the other tests, nor the batch of soap itself got these brown dots. I tried to scrap one of them out, the dot is not hard like a burnt sugar would be, its just...colour. The next pic shows the tests with a layer potato peeler'd off. You can see the dots go right through the test but do not appear on the other test with a different fragrance.

pyP75TX.png

Any ideas? It smells great and I'd love to be able to use it.

I'm guessing its the scent not mixed in properly. Can you pick some of the brown out with a toothpick and smell it? I bet smells more then the lighter parts.

Its should be perfectly safe, just unusual looking.

I'm guessing its the scent not mixed in properly. Can you pick some of the brown out with a toothpick and smell it? I bet smells more then the lighter parts.

I guess my next step is to make an entire loaf with intricate colours and detail and hope nothing goes wrong then get surprised when it does like I usually do.

I wonder if the something in that fragrance crystallized somehow.

Latest posts

Back