Has anyone purchased half a cow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have purchased half a cow and haven't made a decision on our cuts yet. If anyone has experience with this I am looking for recommendations on the best use of the meat and what to do with options. I am not a huge steak fan but a good steak is definitely worth it once in a while. I also have three prime ribs and rib steaks in the freezer already. We know we want short ribs and the skirt steak and hanger steak.

I am wondering what roasts are better ground instead etc. Any input is appreciated.

With what is going on in the meat industry I am not eating any meat from the grocery store.

When I ate meat, the very best cut of meat I recall really enjoying was tri-tip.

Wiki:
The tri-tip is a triangular cut of beef from the bottom sirloin subprimal cut, consisting of the tensor fasciae latae muscle. Untrimmed, the tri-tip weighs around 5 pounds. The cut was known in the United States as early as 1915, called "the triangle part" of the loin butt.

Where this cut comes from: Tri-Tip Roast

We get a half beef and half hog about twice a year (in fact just got each about a month ago). We just always just go with the butchers bundle and what they make - this is the bundle we normally get. Only thing we differentiate with is we get more of the beef patties than just the lb ground beef packages.

16 New York Steaks
16 Boneless Rib Eye Steaks
16 Top Sirloin Steak
8 Cube Steaks
7 Chuck Roast ( 3-4 pounds each)
4 Rump Roast ( 3-4 pounds each)
4 Packages Stew Meat ( 1.5 pound)
80 lbs Ground Beef
10 lbs Ground Beef Patties
1 Trimmed Brisket
Ribs ( Cut in 1/2)

This will give you an idea of what you can get. I know it's a lot of ground beef, but we eat a lot of burger around here, especially in the summer for cookouts and such.

Thanks this helps. I know I don't want cube steaks and thought there would be more roasts and less steak. I am a fan of the tough flavorful cuts that cook low and slow!
This is just the bundle I get that is cut and ready to go where I get my half beef, however, they do offer special cuts, it would just take a bit longer to process.
I'm sure you can talk to your butcher and let them know you aren't too fond of steaks, but like roasts and other cuts. I'm sure they can come up with a bundle that will suit your needs.

I always thought the butcher cuts it into what it should be, apart from the preference of roasts vs steaks. X amount of it will be burger and you could have the added benefits of asking to keep the suet to render into tallow etc. It also depends if getting 2 front or 2 hind quarters or a full side. Cube steal are from the round (hind) chuck roasts (front). Chuck is much better in terms of tenderness than round.

I always thought the butcher cuts it into what it should be,
Depends on the butcher, and as you said if you are getting a full side, or 2 front/2 back.
Our butcher will cut them any way you want them too, as long as they can, which is why there is extra processing time and cost. They might have to take from different cows to get the cuts you want also, but they can do it.
Some butchers however, don't accommodate that. Mine does, but we've also been going to him for well over 25 years and he may make concessions for us.
Wouldn't hurt for @bookreader451 to ask her butcher though. They should also be able to recommend a bundle that may not be a full half, according to what is actually wanted/needed.

If you have a smoker and like to smoke meat I would get an untrimmed brisket and 2 untrimmed tri-tips. I even buy un-trimmed tri-tips for the barbecue. If you are paying on the hoof price if makes no difference. It mainly depends on how you are purchasing the meat.

We are getting a full half. I do know I have the options on getting the tongue and liver as well as the hanger steak and skirt steak and yes, I already told them I need the fat to render ;). I looked at the cut sheet for the processor but I wasn't sure how much of each it would yield.

I plan on making a pastrami with half the brisket. I love, love, love short ribs and want the soup bones and marrow.

If you have a smoker and like to smoke meat I would get an untrimmed brisket and 2 untrimmed tri-tips. I even buy un-trimmed tri-tips for the barbecue. If you are paying on the hoof price if makes no difference. It mainly depends on how you are purchasing the meat.
We have a smoker and we are buying by hanging weight. I definitely have plans for the brisket! I actually buy a couple of full briskets a year for corned beef, pastrami and smoked bbq.

We get a half beef and half hog about twice a year (in fact just got each about a month ago). We just always just go with the butchers bundle and what they make - this is the bundle we normally get. Only thing we differentiate with is we get more of the beef patties than just the lb ground beef packages.

16 New York Steaks
16 Boneless Rib Eye Steaks
16 Top Sirloin Steak
8 Cube Steaks
7 Chuck Roast ( 3-4 pounds each)
4 Rump Roast ( 3-4 pounds each)
4 Packages Stew Meat ( 1.5 pound)
80 lbs Ground Beef
10 lbs Ground Beef Patties
1 Trimmed Brisket
Ribs ( Cut in 1/2)
beef cut paris
This will give you an idea of what you can get. I know it's a lot of ground beef, but we eat a lot of burger around here, especially in the summer for cookouts and such.
looking for some opinions on everyone's favorite cuts of steaks. We always do ribeye she and they always turn out great. Got the father-in-law and his girlfriend coming over this weekend and we want to impress a bit on the egg. So let's hear it!

Definitely rib eye steaks, roasts, hamburger, and stew meat. You can also use flank steak cut into strips for oriental dishes. If you have a slow cooker or an instant pot, then tenderness shouldn't be a problem with the flank steak and roasts.

We like rump steak but don't have that too often because it's too expensive. We buy blade on the bone, that's good for a barbie. T-bones are always tasty and occasionally scotch fillet my favourite.

Back