Has anyone made Salt Bars with Beer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunfloweracres

Reaction score
I am trying a batch tonight. I have made shampoo bars with Dark Side Vanilla Porter beer, Wheat Germ, and Bayberry FO that are my best seller so far, and have made a couple batches of salt bars with water, Red oxide, and Honey Almond FO (they smell like Cherry!). Tonight I am experimenting with my own home brew in salt bars. The salt bar recipe I have does not lather as much as I like. Any suggestions on a tried and true salt bar recipe with a nice lather?

SHAMPOO BARS 4 DARK SIDE BEER ROUND.jpg

SOAP PINK SALT BAR 5 BARS.jpg

Your beer & soap bars look really nice, I love the individual molds for the salt bars. As far as lather, very few oils lather in salt, coconut & bassu will lather, I add castor oil as well and I usually use about 80% coconut in my salt bars. They will improve with age.

Beer and salt bars

Your beer & soap bars look really nice, I love the individual molds for the salt bars. As far as lather, very few oils lather in salt, coconut & bassu will lather, I add castor oil as well and I usually use about 80% coconut in my salt bars. They will improve with age.

Thank you! I did not use individual molds for the salt bars. It was a square wooden box lined with waxed paper, then I cut them after 2 hours in the oven. Luckily they did not crumble.

I went to soapcalc.net last night and made up a new salt bar recipe trying to get more lather. In order to have cleansing, conditioning, bubbly, creamy and all that, I could only put 45.71% coconut oil, plus Olive Oil, vege. oil, Castor oil, and shea butter.

The salt bar batch made with my own homebrew beer (last night) turned out nice and creamy, but no bubbly lather. Can you tell me your recipe?

Thank you! I did not use individual molds for the salt bars. It was a square wooden box lined with waxed paper, then I cut them after 2 hours in the oven. Luckily they did not crumble.

I went to soapcalc.net last night and made up a new salt bar recipe trying to get more lather. In order to have cleansing, conditioning, bubbly, creamy and all that, I could only put 45.71% coconut oil, plus Olive Oil, vege. oil, Castor oil, and shea butter.

The salt bar batch made with my own homebrew beer (last night) turned out nice and creamy, but no bubbly lather. Can you tell me your recipe?

Even though the cleansing is very high according to soapcalc with the higher coconut oil content (I even went as high as 80% CO, 20% OO in mine) the salt seems to make it much milder and soapcalc doesn't take that into consideration. The lather is terrific. I'm loving my salt bars especially after letting them age 2 or 3 months!

I make salt bars all the time and use 85% Coconut Oil and 15% Olive Oil with a 20% Superfat. Great lather and awesome on the skin. They are my favorite. I have also done 90% Coconut Oil and 10% Avocado Oil or Shea or Cocoa Butter. You need a very high percentage of Coconut Oil to get great suds with the Salt.

Wow you cut really straight, I assumed it was the square individual mold. I love making salt bars, and using them, so I have experimented a lot. Most of them are high coconut, but I have had good results going as low as 66%. I don't use shea butter in them most of the time, but always castor, and then the remaining can be a rich oil, avocado, hemp, sweet almond. They take time before they will give you a good lather. The last bath was:
16 oz coconut / 66.67%
3 oz castor /12.5%
3 oz hemp oil / 8.33%
2 oz grapeseed oil /12.5%
I was really happy with the lather, and surprised, I mainly decided to throw in the hemp and grapeseed oils, since I wanted to use them up due to their short shelf life.

Woops! I messed up, I have the hemp and grape reversed, so 2 oz hemp and 3oz grapeseed. This recipe is adapted from one on the soap essentials site. Also I think I used about 16-17 oz salt.

Latest posts

Back