Has anyone had problems with their plumbing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valerieinthegallery

Reaction score
I have a septic system and when I make soap, I worry about the oils. I wipe out my oil measuring bowls, etc. with paper towels before washing them, but I always have a crockpot with soap all around the sides, etc. I get out as much as I can before I wash it, but...

I have been thinking about doing a soap with more coconut oil, as I am VERY sensitive to the smell of olive oil and I can smell it through some of my fragrance oils and I want to play with the numbers a bit and up my coconut oil, which would also mean upping my superfatting, which would mean less of the oils saponifying. Which would mean possibly more oil down the drain.

Has anyone had a problem with this?

I am not on a septic tank, but I live hillside below street level. Plumbing in my house is a pain in the backside. We noticed a big difference when I went to lower superfatting. I very seldom superfat as high as 5. I do make various soaps and my mens soaps are made with higher coconut so I do up the superfat, we just do not use them in our house. I use a lot of lard and tallow which lathers well enough for my customers. My vegan are made with a high amount of palm, low coconut, 7% castor. They lather enough to make happy customers

I let my containers sit a day or two, then scrape out the batter turned into soap, & wash with a washcloth. I do wash the stick blender attachment right away after scraping the batter off as much as possible. I also rinse out my stainless steel pitcher that held the oils, & clean the containers that held the FO & the heavy cream.

I am not on a septic tank, but I live hillside below street level. Plumbing in my house is a pain in the backside. We noticed a big difference when I went to lower superfatting. I very seldom superfat as high as 5. I do make various soaps and my mens soaps are made with higher coconut so I do up the superfat, we just do not use them in our house. I use a lot of lard and tallow which lathers well enough for my customers. My vegan are made with a high amount of palm, low coconut, 7% castor. They lather enough to make happy customers

WOW. You can tell my brain isn't operating on all cylinders because I was only thinking about the oils on the soaping equipment; didn't even occur to me to think about the actual SOAP affecting the plumbing as we use it.

Oy.

Definitely something to think about even more carefully now!

I let my containers sit a day or two, then scrape out the batter turned into soap, & wash with a washcloth. I do wash the stick blender attachment right away after scraping the batter off as much as possible. I also rinse out my stainless steel pitcher that held the oils, & clean the containers that held the FO & the heavy cream.

Similar system here. I love that we're SUPPOSED to let the "dirty" dishes sit a day or two before we wash them. ;)

Dbf is a plumber by trade, he actually takes a bit of lye and dumps in drains once in a while, just to give em a good cleaning. Once or twice a year. Had no problens with pipes..

Back