Has anyone ever tried saffron for color?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi everyone . I was wondering if saffron infused in oil would make a good soap color ? Has anybody tried it ?

TIA

Kitn: who is smitten with making soap.

Haven't tried it! Would like to see a saffron, tumeric, and annato side-by-side some day. hmm maybe a project for later.

Hello!
I saw somewhere a picture of a CP soap colored with saffron and it was great (an envelope, I don't know how much it it, I will check, for 500 gr of oils, and it had a lovely mango color).
I tried once, but I realized too late that my saffron wasn't in powder, but in "pistils" (I realized when, at trace, I opened the envelope. too late. Anyway, too late also for "normal" saffron, I guess it should be infused in a spoon of oils, before).
I think it's expensive, but I don't know how expensive, compared to other yellow plants.
Anyway, curcuma should be as great for coloring, and much cheaper.
Comparison should be a great project!

ciao
vale

Danielito said:
Do you get yellow from infusing oil with calendula petals?

I got a very pale yellow using calendula , I used about 1.5 cups in 36oz of oils.|I am going to try it again with more calendula.

HTH
Kitn

I would be eating it, rather than soaping it...if I could afford it!

Code:
Coming from the dried stigmas of the saffron crocus, it takes 75,000 blossoms or 225,000 hand-picked stigmas to make a single pound which explains why it is the world’s most expensive spice.

Powder is about $140 an oz. The threads are about $250 an oz. Give or take.

Living in Europe has it's advantages. Saffron from Spain is not that expensive. My parents get it for me when they go over on hols. I use it for baking. Might try some in soap next time I get a delivery.

For those who don't care about the expense, it would be great if you could post some pics, or even better, some pics alongside carrot or annatto.

Any takers?

I have crocus growing on my window sill right now so that I can play with the saffron in soap! It just started blooming, so I will keep you informed. BTW, the bulbs were $0.99 each.

I have crocus growing on my window sill right now so that I can play with the saffron in soap! It just started blooming, so I will keep you informed. BTW, the bulbs were $0.99 each.
When you respond to a post from 2009, we call it “necroposting.” The better approach is to start a new thread or, for a post like this, the “what soapy thing have you done today” thread is a great place to let everyone know about your upcoming soapy experiment. Many of us who read that thread will be interested in your results using a natural colorant.

I got a very pale yellow using calendula , I used about 1.5 cups in 36oz of oils.|I am going to try it again with more calendula.

HTH
Kitn
Grinding dried calendula very fine (all parts not just petals) and infusing gets a bit of color. Unless wanting exfoliant it is best to filter the infusion. Here is a pic of the second batch of soap I made. Ground the calendula and tossed it into the oils while they we’re cooling down. Not scratchy in soap but one definitely knows there is an added ingredient. Also using entire flower gives a very slight scent.
Now am going to kitchen spice cabinet to track down some saffron. Buying from India food supply source offers substantial savings. Have an Indian grocery not too far from me and saffron is just another ingredient on their shelves. Pricey? Not as bad as other sources. Not inexpensive either.

Attachments

• 8D9D04E5-34BA-4475-9A23-36041BC9D96F.jpeg
    8D9D04E5-34BA-4475-9A23-36041BC9D96F.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back