Has anybody tried this String Pull technique?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...and no. My one attempt was just with an old reject bar of soap and some left over batter from a new batch. I think with a little practice and once the batter thickness that works is figured out it wouldn't be too difficult to do with good results. Maybe not like this maker, but good. She is a very talented soaper.

So this is totally doable with some practice. Here are my experiments...First tried uncolored. But then wiped it off because it just looked clear on the soaps. Plus i didnt think the batter was set up enough. So i added td, which also made the batter a bit thicker which i needed.

bottom left, the batter wasnt set up enough.

top right...used yarn. Dont do that. Its a mess. Lol

top left...medium trace. Much better. Need some dexterity and non shaky hands lol.

With the exception of the two yarn ones, i used embroidery 6-thread cotton. Could have gone a litte thicker though, maybe take it apart and do 8 threads. It was a little hard to handle

Attachments

• AD271482-1881-4302-A2AB-EABEAFCA5C06.jpeg
    AD271482-1881-4302-A2AB-EABEAFCA5C06.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 60
I was actually considering it for this month's challenge but chose to do the marble challenge instead. I'm glad to see you are trying it. I've seen it done with shoestrings with paintings. So it's worth experimenting with whatever string you are inclined to try.

The challenge rotate and host the challenge topic of their own choice. I don't recall whose turn it is next, but I am sure the topic is already chosen and prep is in the works. I'm sure we will keep it in mind for the future, now that you have suggested it.

Incidentally, there is another String Pull Technique, not to confuse, but in case you're interested. See this post: String-Pull Technique

Last edited:
That's pretty, Kim! You did some nice work there! Even if it's not quite what you want, I like the results.

I especially like the ones like the bar in the lower left corner of your last photo where the center of the "petal" is thinner so some of the underlying color shows through. It's a cute way to dress up a one-color bar.

Wow, those are just beautiful, @Catscankim! I'm wondering if I could make a Christmas soap with this technique: start with a white base soap, and use red and green string pulls to create a poinsettia effect. Hmmmmmm

This is wonderfully done @Catscankim ! I've been wanting to try this technique for almost a year now. Thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm next month's host, but unfortunately I won't have time to try this out before next week and I prefer to host a challenge where I know the technique, so I can at least provide some help and guidance when needed. Maybe another host will pick this up for another month.. I'd love to participate in a string pull challenge!😁

Latest posts

Back