Has anybody made Butter Bars from Ophelias Soapery?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question though. I have been soaping at 33% lye concentration, this recipe says 35%. Is there a reason for this particular recipe that i should change my usual concentration? Or do you think thats what she normally soaps at?

And why so much castor oil do you think?

I plan to scent them with coconut, which is slightly accelerating, and discolors to light tan. In her video, she doesnt scent or color with anything, but i love the light buttery color that the soaps are. Do you think adding a fo that makes a light tan make them super dark? I really dont want to mess with td.

There are two Butter Bar recipes. The first uses Rice Bran, the second uses Olive Oil and there are some other minor changes...including Lye Concentration.

Speaking for myself, the first time I use a recipe...cooking/baking or soap...I tend to follow the recipe as written if I want to get the same results. With that said, I've been cooking/baking for close to 50 years, so I am fairly comfortable making minor changes to a recipe based on available ingredients, but I've only been making soap for about a year and a half, so I stick to the recipe.

Now with that said, I don't know if Julie uses the same Lye Concentration on all her recipes or even if she uses the same recipe for all her soaps (excepting special soaps); I have watched her several techniques change over the last two years. But if you read the description in her second video, she does say: You can use which ever lye ratio you prefer. The unmolding times may vary

I would hazard to guess that the high Castor Oil is to balance out all the hard butters used.

In her first BB video she add a FO...some ginger white tea I think. In her second video, if you stop the video when she posts a pic of recipe from SoapCalc, it includes a Fragrance Ratio of 0.8 (7.50 oz).

ButterBar Video One: June 9, 2018
ButterBar Video Two: February 12, 2020

And why so much castor oil do you think?

Castor is added to soap to enhance/support bubbles & lather. Butter inhibit bubbles & lather. Increasing the Castor helps to offset the inhibition by the butters and provide additional support in conjunction with the Coconut Oil.

You may find both of these of interest in reference to boosting & supporting desirable bubbles & lather:
https://www.thumbprintsoap.com/blogs/news/handmade-soaps-can-indeed-have-lots-of-latherhttps://www.modernsoapmaking.com/secret-to-the-best-soap-recipe/

There are two Butter Bar recipes. The first uses Rice Bran, the second uses Olive Oil and there are some other minor changes...including Lye Concentration.

Speaking for myself, the first time I use a recipe...cooking/baking or soap...I tend to follow the recipe as written if I want to get the same results. With that said, I've been cooking/baking for close to 50 years, so I am fairly comfortable making minor changes to a recipe based on available ingredients, but I've only been making soap for about a year and a half, so I stick to the recipe.

Now with that said, I don't know if Julie uses the same Lye Concentration on all her recipes or even if she uses the same recipe for all her soaps (excepting special soaps); I have watched her several techniques change over the last two years. But if you read the description in her second video, she does say: You can use which ever lye ratio you prefer. The unmolding times may vary

I would hazard to guess that the high Castor Oil is to balance out all the hard butters used.

In her first BB video she add a FO...some ginger white tea I think. In her second video, if you stop the video when she posts a pic of recipe from SoapCalc, it includes a Fragrance Ratio of 0.8 (7.50 oz).

ButterBar Video One: June 9, 2018
ButterBar Video Two: February 12, 2020
Thank you! I didnt notice her saying to use whatever lye ratio you prefer. SMH. Over thinking i guess. I just dont want to screw up a recipe using expensive butters.

I will be making this next week. So be sure to expect more stupid questions lol. I am in a comfort zone with my regular recipes. Havent done anything so different. Maybe i will really step out of the comfort zone and try her heat transfer method lol.

I have been anti-microwave my whole life, except for popcorn lol. Ok, melting cheeze wiz too lol. I feel like it changes things, and nobody can change my mind about that.

Castor is added to soap to enhance/support bubbles & lather. Butter inhibit bubbles & lather. Increasing the Castor helps to offset the inhibition by the butters and provide additional support in conjunction with the Coconut Oil.

You may find both of these of interest in reference to boosting & supporting desirable bubbles & lather:
https://www.thumbprintsoap.com/blogs/news/handmade-soaps-can-indeed-have-lots-of-latherhttps://www.modernsoapmaking.com/secret-to-the-best-soap-recipe/
Thank you! I love the castor oil in my soaps, but only add it at 5%. I havent made soaps with so much butter, so this makes sense.

I didnt notice her saying to use whatever lye ratio you prefer.

I don't think she does. Again, it is in the description. If you're watching from a PC, click on SHOW MORE. On a tablet or iPad, there is a down arrow on the right hand side, under the screen. Click that.

I make a triple butter bar (my most expensive soap to sell so I call it the luxury bar to myself lol) with mango, Shea and cocoa at 45% total. I don't use much coconut to begin with so mine's more or less the same, I don't up my castor though. I also don't use olive in mine.

What I do is cure extra. Like 4 months instead of my usual 2. The bar lasts forever but it doesn't lather much before 3-4mos. If you're selling you really have to take that into account. Maybe upping the castor helps with the lather. I haven't tried.

Latest posts

Back