Harvest soup

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its zucchini season again and this is my favorite way to use it up. Its one of those recipes that you can add or subtract as you want. I use a lot more zucchini and add extra spices. You can also add pasta if you want it extra hardy. Carrots and mushrooms are also good.

2 cups chopped cabbage
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped zucchini
2 cup tomato juice ( diluted paste works well too)
1 cup water
2 tsp boulillion
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground celery seeds
1 cup sausage or chicken (I like spicy andouille)

combine everything into a stock pot except the zucchini. bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is almost tender. Add zucchini and simmer until done.

This sounds so delicious. I too would use a lot more zucchini as 1 cup wouldn't use up much. This is my "Use up Zucchini Soup."

6 slices of bacon 6 c. chicken broth
2 T. butter or your favourite oil 1 can evaporated milk
2 onions, chopped 1 T. soy sauce
4 potatoes S & P to taste
2 garlic cloves or powder to taste
8 zucchinis
1/4 t. thyme
1/4 t. rosemary
1/2 t. basil
1/2. marjoram

In large frying pan fry bacon. Remove and chop bacon. Melt butter (or just use bacon fat instead) and saute onion and garlic till translucent. Add diced potatoes, zucchini and all seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes. In a large cooking pot add broth and bring to a boil. Add zucchini mixture; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 mins. When cooked use stick blender (not your soap one!) and blend till smooth. Add bacon and milk and heat to boiling but do not boil. Adjust seasonings and thin with more broth or milk if needed.

I do this all in one big cooking pot instead of dirtying two pans. Time is important!

Latest posts

Back