Hard water soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^Everything TheresaT said!

I thought I needed a course, also. None in my area, either. So I taught myself with videos, books, and this forum. I would actually suggest you use this forum over books to start with. That way, you can get many opinions (with good explanations) on any questions you have. And we darned sure do a better job of troubleshooting than a book that can't respond to you.

I was soaping for 6 months before a soapmaking class that fit into my schedule became available to me. It was 2 states away from me and winter time (snow and cold) but I went anyway because although I knew I had already learned most of what the instructor was going to teach, I still wanted to learn more. It was a 2-day course and I am really glad I went. I did learn a few new things and several of my questions were answered. I did meet some very nice people and learned about soapmaker gatherings and conferences. Some of us stay in touch via email, too so that was a nice bonus to taking the class.

Maybe if I had already joined this forum before the class, I probably would not have needed the class. I am sure all my questions would have been answered here at SMF, too. But I had not found SMF as I recall until afterward, or if I did, it was only while doing an internet search and it didn't occur to me to join the forum right away.

To start out I read all the books on soapmaking available at my local library (a very limited choice, sadly) and watched hundreds of youTube videos on soapmaking and read many online tutorials. And I just jumped right in and made soap. I didn't realize at the time that some of those videos and tutorials were showing me some unsafe practices, but over time I learned not to use glass and to choose good quality plastic (recycle code 2 or 5 for lye solution mixing) and so forth. But I managed to make some soap that I really like and some that my husband likes. And I believe my soap making skills are just getting better as I continue.

I do really enjoy being a member of SMF and find the forum climate and the people here to be extremely helpful and supportive. I second what Susie said about the forum being more responsive than books. And even youTube video makers don't always respond to questions with helpful answers or at all.

When I started I had a little book my daughter gave me from B&B and a video that I think I watched once. Like any craft I ever learned I just started making soap and kept at it until I liked what I made. Colors were my hardest to learn and thought I would never get it right. I was not on any forums or watched any You Tube videos, which would probably have helped me progress with coloring quicker. I do not think we had any classes available here at the time and throwing away small batches would have been cheaper than paying for a class, and I did throw away a few in the beginning which were colored much to heavily, especially when I was learning to use purple

Hard Water Soap Attempt #1

Hi all, well i made my 1st batch with sodium citrate. Looking for critiques please:
Recipe = 270 gm coconut oil
450 gm olive oil
250 gm palm oil
30 gm shea butter
142.2 gm NaOH
380 gm water
And I added 1 tsp of sodium citrate mixed in with some of the water for the lye. Once dissolved I added SC to the lye water.

I use HP for my soaping and I did make a mistake here. Instead of a slow cook I forgot to turn it down to low and oops did a fast cook. But it does not seem to have hurt my soap.

I added 30 ml of vanilla EO once soap was done cooking and had cooled off somewhat, as well I tossed in about a nugget of shea butter in the hopes that it would add some conditioning.

This was all done about Sept 22nd and it has been drying on my rack since then. It seems to be hardening nicely.

Any comments/suggestions please?

I believe any recipe will work, you'll just need to add a chelant to the soap to reduce the soap scum. You can try citric acid, sodium citrate or tetrasodium EDTA. They all work well; however, the EDTA works the best because it reduces soap scum and boosts the bubbles.

Take a look at this thread, specifically post #62 from DeeAnna. This has been one of the most helpful pieces of info I've found on this forum and I know it by heart now.

Sodium citrate from baking soda and citric acid

Take a look at this one too, specifically my "analysis" of the three different chelators in post number 4.

EDTA Detractors?

I hope these help.
Are each of these considered to be safe additives for people with skin sensitivities/ eczema/ psoriasis? Would any one be better than the other?

And I added 1 tsp of sodium citrate mixed in with some of the water for the lye. Once dissolved I added SC to the lye water.

I use HP for my soaping and I did make a mistake here. Instead of a slow cook I forgot to turn it down to low and oops did a fast cook. But it does not seem to have hurt my soap.

I added 30 ml of vanilla EO once soap was done cooking and had cooled off somewhat, as well I tossed in about a nugget of shea butter in the hopes that it would add some conditioning.

This was all done about Sept 22nd and it has been drying on my rack since then. It seems to be hardening nicely.

Any comments/suggestions please?
It is best to dissolve the SC in the water before adding the lye to the water. The lye is a water hog and makes it difficult to fully dissolve other ingredients.

You can definitely cook your soap on high without hurting it, as long as you don't burn the soap, or overcook it. :)

There is no true vanilla EO, so if the product you used was labeled as vanilla EO, it was mislabeled. Is there an ingredient list on the bottle?

Latest posts

Back