Hard soap for laundry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black squirrel

Reaction score
I am trying to find the best recipe for cp soap that would yield a nice hard bar, without using lard, that I could then shred for laundry powder. I am currently using ivory soap because it has the least amount of unnecessary ingredients but I would rather make my own. Any good ones?

Thanks Irena. I figured I should superfat 0% but I wasn't sure of the best combination of oils to use to get a harder bar. Just palm oil, palm with some castor or coconut? I don't really need it to get lathery as I have a front loading he washer so I suppose I could leave out the last two. I basically need a good old fashioned soap that would have been made with lard and lye but minus the lard. And smellitlikeitis, I make laundry soap because the stuff you buy at the store is so full of phosphates and other bad things that aren't good for the water, and it is very expensive- especially for the high efficiency washers. I make my own fabric softener, too.

~Andria

Here's my fabric softener recipe:

2 cups baking soda
2 cups white vinegar
4 cups distilled water (warm)
approx. 25 drops of fragrance oil (optional)

Slowly add baking soda to vinegar in large container, as it will erupt. I add the fragrance oil to the water and give it a good shake then add this to the baking soda/vinegar. Mix well and store in an airtight container.

Use 1 tablespoon per load. I think you could add this to a Downy fabric softener ball and toss it in at the beginning of the wash.

It will sort of gel up so I keep mine in a squirt bottle. There is no smell of vinegar on my clothes and the best part is you can make them with any fragrance you want. I make one of my brother's with Green Irish Tweed and the other's with fresh cut grass. My husband and I prefer a fresh laundry scent, though.

~Andria

black squirrel said:
Thanks Irena. I figured I should superfat 0% but I wasn't sure of the best combination of oils to use to get a harder bar. Just palm oil, palm with some castor or coconut? I don't really need it to get lathery as I have a front loading he washer so I suppose I could leave out the last two. I basically need a good old fashioned soap that would have been made with lard and lye but minus the lard. And smellitlikeitis, I make laundry soap because the stuff you buy at the store is so full of phosphates and other bad things that aren't good for the water, and it is very expensive- especially for the high efficiency washers. I make my own fabric softener, too.

~Andria

You could also go with all coconut with 0% suprefat.

I was thinking I'll make a batch with all coconut oil tomorrow, Irena. Thanks again. I just wasn't sure what would be the best replacement for lard or tallow but I'll see what happens with the coconut.

black squirrel said:
I was thinking I'll make a batch with all coconut oil tomorrow, Irena. Thanks again. I just wasn't sure what would be the best replacement for lard or tallow but I'll see what happens with the coconut.

That should make a really good laundry soap. :D

Irena

Latest posts

Back