HARD SOAP BAR

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping I can get some suggestions from you experienced soapers on what would be a good breakup of the following oils to get a really hard bar of soap with good conditioning and bubbliness.

Oils I'd like to use are.

Cocount Oil
Palm Oil
Olive Oil
Sunflower Oil
Castor Oil

I've also read that you can add Steric Acid to the mix. If someone can outline the addition rate and when it is added that would be great.

Look forward to your suggestions.

hard soap

there's a great soap calculater that tells you the hardness and other considerations for each oil you want to use. it's a little frustrating at first, but i got the hang of it after a few dozen tries. www.soapcalc.com

if i can make it work, anyone can!

good luck

monet

Thanks for that.

I've run numerous combinations through and well I know people have all different opinions on the actual numbers the calc spits out.

I was more interested in peoples recipies and suggestions based on experience.

I just did a recipe this weekend and added 1% (as a percentage of oils) stearic acid and the bars are nice and sturdy. Just melt it in with your oils and be careful as it makes the mixture trace very very VERY quickly (I can't emphasize that enough). I unmolded the bars last night and they're already pretty solid .. they're going to be great after they cure for awhile. Paul has said in the past the he uses 3% stearic acid in one of his recipes for a conditioning bar, but I'd start on the low end and work my way up. I keep my coconut around 20-30% (to much coconut oil can be drying). I keep OO around the same percentage .. and through tips and tricks on here, I add about 5% castor so that the bar doesn't get too slimy. Palm oil is another great oil for adding hardness to the bar as is PKO. Just play with SoapCalc and Soap Maker and you'll find something that's do-able.

I totally agree with everything posted so far. In addition, you can add sodium lactate to a bar to make a harder bar, but with your oil choices you shouldn't need it. I haven't used it yet, usually preferring a teaspoon of plain salt PPO to firm up my bars. :)

If I was making it with those oils, I would use these percentages.

Cocount Oil - 30%
Palm Oil - 30%
Olive Oil - 25%
Sunflower Oil - 10%
Castor Oil - 5%

hardness - 44
cleansing - 20
conditioning - 52
bubbly - 25
creamy - 28
INS - 159

I wouldn't add anything else to harden the bar but I would probably add some sugar solution for more lather.....and of course color and scent. :D

cdwinsby said:
If I was making it with those oils, I would use these percentages.

Cocount Oil - 30%
Palm Oil - 30%
Olive Oil - 25%
Sunflower Oil - 10%
Castor Oil - 5%

hardness - 44
cleansing - 20
conditioning - 52
bubbly - 25
creamy - 28
INS - 159

I wouldn't add anything else to harden the bar but I would probably add some sugar solution for more lather.....and of course color and scent. :D

I'd up the % of olive oil, & decrease the coconut oil, but that's just me. My basic recipe is 50% Olive Oil & I don't have to add anything to make it a hard bar, it just is. Soapcalc's numbers say using 50% OO makes a soft bar, but that's just not true.

I agree; I'd down the CO unless you're trying to do a super cleansing bar. I like my cleansing number to be around 17, but as everyone's said, it's all personal preference. The coconut oil and olive oil have almost a synergistic effect and when you get the two in balance it's a nice foamy lather that's stable and lasts a good while.

I also agree about downing the CO....I like my cleansing number to be closer to 14 than 17....again, all in the personal preference. :)

All of those oils make a very hard bar once cured except for sunflower which is a medium hardness.

HTH

Hi all, Thanks so much for all your replies.

cdwinsby mentioned adding sugar syrup to add more lather. How much and when?
Does this affect other properties of the soap?

Thanks

Here is a quote from my site:

"Sugar - increases lather and can speed up trace time.
- when using confectioners sugar, add up to 1 Tbsp. per pound of oils and add to thinly traced soap. Whisk in very well.
- when using granular sugar, make a syrup of 2 parts sugar to 1 part distilled water and allow to cool. Substitute some of the lye water with up to 1 Tbsp. syrup per pound of oils."

I usually use about 1 tsp per pound of oils. Sugar can cause your soap to heat up more than normal but at the 1 tsp amount I haven't had to change how I insulate my soaps.

Back