Hard plastic molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been busily making soap almost every weekend for the past three weeks (I think I'm up to about 12 different batches so far). So far, it's been going really well.

I've come across a problem, though, and would appreciate any push in the right direction you can give me. Last week, I made a batch, had some leftover and poured the leftovers into a hard plastic mold. After a couple of days, I tried to remove the soap from the mold and couldn't. I froze it and still couldn't get it out. I ended up prying the soap out and tossing it because it was starting to go rancid. (Thankfully, there were only three soaps.)

Last night, I made a batch of soap to fill a children's mold and, after 24 hours, the soap has hardened beautifully but it seems to be stuck in the mold. I've tried pushing on the center of the mold but only succeeded it cracking one of the corners of the mold. It's in the freezer now but I'm a little worried.

21237953680_e433966796_n.jpg
[/url]001 by Ev Skae, on Flickr[/IMG]

Any advice? I'll try later this evening but, yeah, I'm worried.

I've been busily making soap almost every weekend for the past three weeks (I think I'm up to about 12 different batches so far). So far, it's been going really well.

I've come across a problem, though, and would appreciate any push in the right direction you can give me. Last week, I made a batch, had some leftover and poured the leftovers into a hard plastic mold. After a couple of days, I tried to remove the soap from the mold and couldn't. I froze it and still couldn't get it out. I ended up prying the soap out and tossing it because it was starting to go rancid. (Thankfully, there were only three soaps.)

Last night, I made a batch of soap to fill a children's mold and, after 24 hours, the soap has hardened beautifully but it seems to be stuck in the mold. I've tried pushing on the center of the mold but only succeeded it cracking one of the corners of the mold. It's in the freezer now but I'm a little worried.

Any advice? I'll try later this evening but, yeah, I'm worried.

The part in red concerns me the most. Why was it going rancid/ what made you think it was?

I don't use hard plastic molds often but, there is a post on soap queen about using them. I'll go find it.

Here you are:
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...molding-cold-process-soap-from-plastic-molds/

I read throught it a while back and I think its got some good advice.

ETA: and not to worry, even sad messy looking soap is still soap! :)

Last edited:
Galaxy, the soap I made has peppermint leaves in it. Because it was still so moist in the mold, I could smell that it was starting to go off. The batch in the mold is fine; it just went black. Ugly as the soap turned out, there are a couple of friends who will be more than happy with it simply because it smells so minty.

By the way, thank you for that link; it explained it very well. Much appreciated!

Update... I tried it after it had been in the freezer for a while. It came out with a little bit of damage but was easily repaired. The soap has now been cut into bars and is curing in my spare room. Phew!!

Next time, I'll be a little more patient, especially with a soap I know will harden nicely.

I always spray hard plastic molds with Pam. Before un-molding, usually the next day, I put them in the freezer to make sure they are hard. They will come right out of the mold, but be careful not to actually freeze the mold and soap, because the mold can crack if it is actually frozen

Back