Hard knocks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin roberts

Reaction score
I’ve read the guidelines. I’m new and have failed plenty so far. Just had a foamy volcano. 40% coconut oil and 60% olive oil. Understanding there is no real rescue, once it has cooled down is there any way to get it back to a fluid state?

Are you doing HP I assume? If it just volcanoed a bit but is still mostly in the crock pot you can just back down on your heat a bit and stay on top of it. If not Yes you can grate it up and put it in the crock pot and add a little water and a touch of glycerin and rebatch it. you would want to be sure you zap test it after its back to be fully cooked.

Are you doing HP I assume? If it just volcanoed a bit but is still mostly in the crock pot you can just back down on your heat a bit and stay on top of it. If not Yes you can grate it up and put it in the crock pot and add a little water and a touch of glycerin and rebatch it. you would want to be sure you zap test it after its back to be fully cooked.

Thank you msunderstood. Yes it is HP. It stayed within the pot but gelled. Denatured alcohol, warming the batch to 120 degrees, had it about 70% liquid but while stirring, it seized again. Then I left it to cool and it is dissolving again apparently. I am just going to let it sit overnight and see what decants off.

It may be a loss. It may not.

This morning, the batch is translucent. Does not zap. I split the batch and added some honey for lather and 1% menthol for shaving. The rest of the batch is going to sit.

The

I’ve been trying to dry a portion of my batch that volcanoed yesterday in the oven. I’ve been turning the temp up a bit every hour or so. At 170 degrees, a portion, about 2/3 liquifies and the rest is congealed and floating. Warm on my crockpot is 120ish and Low is more like 200. I’ll put it in on Low and watch carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
30 oz coconut oil
50 oz olive oil
11 oz lye
24 oz beer
7 lb impatience

Yes, solid soap is
and this is supposed to be solid soap right? Not liquid?

Could you post your recipe so I can see if anything looks off?
yes, solid soap is intended.

I found it easier to boil my beer down to a syrup, as recommended by someone here, weigh it, and use it as part of my liquid.

Check out this post by IrishLass, it's where I got the idea from. I didn't go 50/50 though.. Turned out more like 85% water, 15% beer, from the amount I had, which wasn't much lol

did you make sure the beer was flat?
Ive never done a 100% beer soap, I usually do a 25% beer and water discount during the cook and add the beer after.
No, I didn’t make sure the beer was flat. I didn’t understand that until it was too late. There was a fairly thick leathery scum on the top once the lye reacted. I removed and discarded it. I used no water.

Right now, it is like pudding. I am drying it in the oven. I know it’s premature but I took some that was fully dried to shave with. Loved it! The menthol fraction was just right and the shave was comfortable and smooth. It was real quick to lather with the brush and the lather was just stiff enough. My skin is a bit dry but I expected that without being fully cured.

did you make sure the beer was flat?
Ive never done a 100% beer soap, I usually do a 25% beer and water discount during the cook and add the beer after.
And thank you!

I found it easier to boil my beer down to a syrup, as recommended by someone here, weigh it, and use it as part of my liquid.

Check out this post by IrishLass, it's where I got the idea from. I didn't go 50/50 though.. Turned out more like 85% water, 15% beer, from the amount I had, which wasn't much lol
Good idea! Thank you! I read that the beer works to make more lather. They used beer to replace water 100%. I didn’t see any other mention of beer but i didn’t look.

It was a good 90 minutes before the solution cooled. I read the other thread. Thanks for that.

Can I delete a message? Just tried to delete this one
You can only delete a message by deleting the words in the message and writing "deleted". You can only do that until the "edit" button disappears.

Alcohol and NaOH don't work. You will have to follow Dawni's instructions and treat the beer before putting it in soap.

Good idea! Thank you! I read that the beer works to make more lather. They used beer to replace water 100%. I didn’t see any other mention of beer but i didn’t look.

It was a good 90 minutes before the solution cooled. I read the other thread. Thanks for that.
You're welcome!

I can't say for the others, but my beer soap had good lather even at the beginning. It's much better now. I'll have to use it again n update my post with pics.

It's the sugar more than anything else. I use sugar in all my soaps that don't use beer..

Conduction: Best way to Melt Rock/Volcano
Conduction is the simplest way to transfer heat. At the atomic scale, hotter particles vibrate more. When they come into contact with other nearby particles, some of that vibrational heat energy is transferred to those nearby particles, heating them up. At the macroscopic scale, when rocks melt by either decompression or by addition of volatiles, the more buoyant melt rises toward Earth's surface. When this rising melt comes into contact with solid lithospheric rock on its path upward, it can transfer enough heat to the surrounding rock to melt it. This often happens in subduction zones as the initial melt created at the slab/mantle boundary travels upward into the rock of the overriding plate.

Conduction: Best way to Melt Rock/Volcano
Conduction is ... upward into the rock of the overriding plate.
Completely off topic but at the same time too long didn’t read. Depending on your frame of reference a graben may appear to be a horst so be careful. Stating that conduction is the best way to melt rock suggests you are overconfident. Conduction may be very effective but magnetic excitement of the mineral may in fact be better because the entire rock could be brought to the melting point at once. Neutron bombardment has its advantage too. I have no reason to melt rock though. If you pee on fresh lava you may be in danger from the resulting toxic cloud.

Latest posts

Back