hard flakey soap? pic added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy

Reaction score
i made 2 batches of plain lard soap today. i popped bothin the oven to gel then left them alone in oven with it off for a couple of hours. i went to remove them from the oven and they were both very hard so i unmolded and cut them, but when i cut them they are very hard and they are flakey all along the bars where i am cutting. both batches. i was able to wipe most of the flakes off but i have never had this happen before.

recipe was
27 oz lard
3.6 oz lye
5.4 oz water
1 oz FO

i soaped hot (very hot 150*+ lye) and melted lard was liquid

i am off to see if my scale is wonkey buy measuring quarters, but in the meantime.... any ideas?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is what all of the bars look like. they have this flakey "shelf" like layer that falls off the edges. the stuff on the counter is what fell off as i cut the bars.

Did you mean to do such a high water discount?
When I calculate it, I get double the amount of water that you put in :?

no, i wasnt planning on doing anything other than the normal 33% that i always do.

i guess less water would make the bar harder but i had no idea it would be that hard that fast. the soaps dont zap and my scale checked out as far as weighing things correctly... so i guess it was the less water.

Back