Hard film on top

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CindyG

Reaction score
Hi there. I’m hoping someone can Tell me why the top of my liquid soap keeps getting a hard film, like what happens to pudding if you don’t cover it. It gelled no problem. Took longer than I expected to dissolve in my water/glycerin mixture. Thanks.

Hi Cindy & Welcome!

If your liquid soap forms a film on top during dilution, you need to add a bit more water until the film is thoroughly incorporated. This may result in "too watery" LS but it is the best indication of the amount of dilution water needed to get the LS to the point where it washes off easily and still has great lather.

Many LS-ers prefer a thicker viscosity but it may take twice as long to rinse the soap residue from your hands after lathering up. The choice is yours. It's all a matter of preference. Keep good notes on the total amount of dilution water added for the next time!

For me, it takes about 3 hours more or less to dissolve the paste. I do it range top. Most of the soaps I make have 50% coconut oil.
100% Coconut Oil LS requires 40% soap to 60% dilution water.
100% Olive Oil LS requires 15-20% soap to 80-85% dilution water.
All other formulas fall somewhere in between.

So, here again, it's good to know the amount of water needed for dilution. If you add too little water it may take longer to dilute. It helps to warm the paste first in the microwave and chunk it up into the pot of boiling water on the stove. Be sure to turn the dial down to Medium Low or Low.

TIP: I add 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon of Liquid Calgon (water softener) to my dilution water. It seems to speed things up.

HTH and HAPPY SOAPING!

Latest posts

Back