Happy Soapiversary to Me!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Today marks exactly 1 year since I made my first batch of soap. It was from Jan Berry's book Simple Natural Soapmaking. It was the Bastille recipe. 75% Olive Oil - 16% Shea Butter and 9% Castor Oil. I added Lemon Peel Powder and an EO mix of Lavender and Litsea. Nice and simple and it came out awesome. After that I was hooked. Before that I did a good amount of research and actually spent a decent amount of money buying good equipment. I didn't take any shortcuts, I didn't have unrealistic goals for my first soap and I respected the process. After that first batch I joined this forum and with the help of so many of you out there I learned so much over the last year. The pandemic and the shutdown last year caused a drastic increase in my drinking and I knew something had to be done so on July 1st of 2020 I had my last drink. RIght about September 2020 I had been white knuckling my sobriety for those first 3 months and knew I needed some sort of outlet-hobby to keep me on the right path. Stumbled onto some Dr Squatch commercials on You Tube and ordered a few bars. After using them I was intrigued and started doing some research on how to make your own soap. Fast forward to today and 400 some odd bars of soap later I haven't had a drink in almost 15 months. I love this hobby and am so appreciative of all of you who have taken the time to respond to my questions and/or posts. I can be a little verbose at times so thanks again for everyone's help and patience. For any new soapmakers reading this post, please don't leap before you can walk and please respect the people on this forum that take the time to give their knowledge and advice. I see it more and more nowadays, people ask for help but then are not willing to take the advice because it does not line up with the answer they were hoping to hear. To be honest I am blown away by the patience of people like @Deana @cmzaha @Zany_in_CO @AliOop @earlene and the list goes on and on (sorry if I missed a few of you :)) There is something so rewarding knowing that my wife and daughters have been using soap that I made and even though they are sick of hearing about soapmaking and colorants and fragrances I know they are appreciative and love when I cut a new batch of soap. Looking forward to the next year of soaping!!! Thanks again everybody out there. 😍😍😍😍

Happy Soapiversary. As dibbles said congratulations on your sobriety, that is so important and I wish my oldest daughter would find something to help her with this horrific demon she had fought most of her life and also worsened during covid. This is a great hobby and I am glad this Forum has made it while most of the soaping forums have disappeared.

Even though I have not soaped in a couple of years I am sure when I finally get moved I will get back to at least a little soaping and for me cutting a log of soap was like opening up a Christmas present, I was always so excited waiting for the cut. Again Congratulation and Happy Soaping. 🎈🎈🎈

Happy Soapiversary and thank you for sharing your struggles *hugs* I grew up with a mother who was a suicidal alcoholic. As a child I found her in our VW van after she shot herself. Sobriety is so difficult but so important not just for you but for everyone who loves you. You don't know me but I am proud of you! ❤

Thanks.gif
...for sharing your incredible story and your awesome success!
happy-feet-penguin.gif
I'm doing the Happy Soapers Dance to celebrate this day. Keep up the good work!

:tub: This calls for a bubble bath in your honor, which I shall be taking shortly. Yes, yes... any excuse for a bubble bath and I'm on it! 😁

Before that I did a good amount of research and actually spent a decent amount of money buying good equipment. I didn't take any shortcuts, I didn't have unrealistic goals for my first soap and I respected the process. After that first batch I joined this forum and with the help of so many of you out there I learned so much over the last year....
Looking forward to the next year of soaping!!! Thanks again everybody out there. 😍😍😍😍

Congratulations!:dance:

Thank you for sharing your story, we are cheering for you!

You have all the tell-tell signs of a great soapmaker! Seems you are one of those measure twice, cut once kind of people. Good for you! I am new here myself (and verbose also ahem...🤭)

Although I am not new to making soap, I agree with all your statements. Very generous people who have ooodles of patience with those who really want to learn the craft and respect the process and respect the people with knowledge that exceeds their own. That is the reason I wanted to join the forum also, not just to harvest from those who walked the path before me.

I always try to remember that no matter how long we have been on a path in life, there will alwyas be those who walked the path before we did, making it easier for those of us that comes after them. Keep walking, like you have been, and you will be just fine @SoapDaddy70 😊

I also wanted to join the conversation when I can, and to contribute with whatever I can so I can give back, however small. You are not alone, I am struggling with some heavy stuff also. Not the same as you, but I have gotten very sick the past year with some serious things, which makes me limited to what I can do everyday and how often and how much I can contribute. But the great things about this forum is that we can clock in when we are able to, and there will always be room for us!

There is something so rewarding knowing that my wife and daughters have been using soap that I made and even though they are sick of hearing about soapmaking and colorants and fragrances...

And helleeeuu, that is why WE are here, silly! Never forget that!!

The day our eyes glaze over, reading about a new fragrance, color, or seing pictures of soaps, is the day cows grow wings in addition to udders, and flaps over the grassy meadows, landing on the ground only to digest their food in the warmth of the sun...

cows-cartoon.jpg

link

Last edited:
Back