Happy soap dance..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calico21

Reaction score
Hi I've been making soap for about 2 years now and started playing with the tops and colors and look what I got, Happy soap dance ?
Also am trying acrylic picture frames as slab mold . First time tonight we'll see how it goes.
dsc0086n.jpg

By calico21 at 2010-12-20
dsc0085cn.jpg

dsc0084g.jpg

ETA: Got the frames at Michael's for about $6 each and the happy face soap is scented with Jamaican me crazy, the other is pink grapefruit

I think you can get at walmart too. i also went to a home improvement store called Menards and got a small piece of acrylic for a lid to prevent ash but u could use plastic wrap as well. I got no gel which was my reasoning behind getting it. (yea me!) Plus i love that u can see without peeking.

Thanx for the compliments. I wanted to update the picture frame experiment. It worked, think I was a little impatient. Put in freezer for a bout 20 minutes or so to try and unmold. It came out but left a bit behind. I had in mold for about 16 hours. Should i just have left longer on counter or in freezer longer? Any thoughts? Its nice and firm but can still squish with pressure.
ETA: Love the creamy white color which is what I wanted with no gel. Will post cuts as soon as I get a longer blade to cut it.
ETA: Ok update, definitely wait longer to unmold and cut. It seems to be cutting better today. It crumbled but no zap. And I think I'll try the spritzing with alcohol next time too. Seems to have a bit of ash as its curing. Learn, learn, learn !

dsc0095m.jpg

By calico21 at 2010-12-22

Did you have to spray the acrylic prior to pouring the soap in? If so what did you use.

I colored with oregon trails liquid peony spring.

No I did not spray with anything but either should have(used mineral oil?) or waited a bit longer to unmold. It stuck a little but not too bad. I will be experimenting more this weekend with times in mold because I just love the whiteness of the bars. I think most of the problems with sticking happened because I went with my normal time of unmolding.(about 16 Hours)

happy soap dance

I know the feeling. Last night I was up to 2 in the morning making soaps. I made 4 batches: Chamomile, Patchouli, Shea butter soap, and a rose shea butter soap. I was just having fun. But the really neat thing was I swirled the chamomile so pretty with madder root. I'll have to post pictures later. Today I did a few rebatches and they came out really nice. So overall today was a really good day.

Re: happy soap dance

srenee said:
I know the feeling. Last night I was up to 2 in the morning making soaps. I made 4 batches: Chamomile, Patchouli, Shea butter soap, and a rose shea butter soap. I was just having fun. But the really neat thing was I swirled the chamomile so pretty with madder root. I'll have to post pictures later. Today I did a few rebatches and they came out really nice. So overall today was a really good day.

eager to see pictures!

obviously i no longer have small children waiting for santa at pre-dawn hours and have been soaping instead, or at least trying to get an emulsified scrub ritht :) happy holidays to all!!!!!

Re: happy soap dance

paillo said:
srenee said:

eager to see pictures!

obviously i no longer have small children waiting for santa at pre-dawn hours and have been soaping instead, or at least trying to get an emulsified scrub ritht :) happy holidays to all!!!!!

I have a 5 year old daughter and I am waiting till midnight to put out her gifts. I soaped early today though; maybe Santa will leave me a perfectly gelled log to unmold in the morning!!!

But I always got to have one batch that just wants to act like a fool. I hate it when I use a fragrance oil. It just about seized on me when I added it, so I put the stove on low to melt it back down, then mixed it with my spatchula but it started getting thick again and I could get my swirl right. So I guess tomorrow this will be a rebatch, or maybe not. I'll see tomorrow. But my others came out pretty good. I need to stick to essential oils.

An acrylic picture frame how clever! I never thought of utilizing one of those frames until you posted your experience.

I think those happy face soaps are soo cute!

My kids would love something like that to bathe with. Thanks for the idea and thanks for sharing.

Off to make a batch of fig soap..I'll post some pics hopefully by tomorrow.

The bulb in my camera died so I have to see if it's worth replacing the bulb or the camera alltogether. The manufacturer states I need to take the camera to a repair shop to replace a bulb?

I hate paying money for someone else to do something I might be able to do for myself. ..We'll see.

Thats what I was thinking Traceyann, use to make it when I was going to school and maybe at Christmas time.

Relle.

Back