Happy New Year, 2021!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
My quilting mentor, who is Dutch, sent me a recipe for "Olie Bollen", a New Year's tradition from her homeland. Apparently it translates literally to "Oil Ball". 😄
Essentially, they're fried donut holes. Made mine with sourdough starter instead of "store-bought" yeast. Delicious!

Happy New Year, everyone!
FullSizeRender (46).jpg

My quilting mentor, who is Dutch, sent me a recipe for "Olie Bollen", a New Year's tradition from her homeland. Apparently it translates literally to "Oil Ball". 😄
Essentially, they're fried donut holes. Made mine with sourdough starter instead of "store-bought" yeast. Delicious!

View attachment 52872
They look delicious! Did you add raisins? Currants? Apple? When I make them, I add all three, as I was taught by my mother. And, yes, I'm of Dutch heritage. We grew up eating Olie Bollen every New Year's Eve. At our annual New Year's morning church service, you could smell the Olie Bollen (deep frying) in the air as almost all households made them. The smell permeated everything!

Here's a pic of mine from last year, before the icing sugar.

Attachments

• 20191231_141842.jpg
    20191231_141842.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 2
Those look delicious and I'm sure you missed having them this year! Your memory is much the same as my friend, Hedy, described with the smell from all the households making Olie Bollen everywhere. I didn't add anything, as it was not in her recipe. I read that raisins and apples, etc were often added and I thought about it, but then I'd have to answer to Hedy! LOL

Those look delicious and I'm sure you missed having them this year! Your memory is much the same as my friend, Hedy, described with the smell from all the households making Olie Bollen everywhere. I didn't add anything, as it was not in her recipe. I read that raisins and apples, etc were often added and I thought about it, but then I'd have to answer to Hedy! LOL
It may also depend on what part of the NL your friend comes from. Different areas of the country have different traditons. Next time you make them, though, try adding the raisins and diced apples. SO good!

Interestingly, the last time I was in NL (over 25 years ago now), most people no longer made their own; they bought them at their local bakery. They weren't as good as homemade, that's for sure!

It may also depend on what part of the NL your friend comes from. Different areas of the country have different traditons. Next time you make them, though, try adding the raisins and diced apples. SO good!

Interestingly, the last time I was in NL (over 25 years ago now), most people no longer made their own; they bought them at their local bakery. They weren't as good as homemade, that's for sure!
She's from the Amsterdam area. I will be sure to add raisins and diced apples next year as it does sound delicious!

View attachment 52872
Drooling looks yummy' Happy New Year 😉🧼🤗

Back