Happy Independence Day, Americans!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Americans includes more than people in/from the USA, just to be nit-picky. :)

Happy 4th to you, too, Susie.

You know, everyone in English speaking countries has a "4th of July". Only people who are citizens of the United States of America have a significant event that is shared by all citizens of the United States of America. So, I do not wish folks a "happy 4th", I am very specific of the event.

And while I fully understand that there are people "from the Americas" other than citizens of the United States of America, generally folks will automatically associate the name "Americans" with citizens of the USA, as we lack any other name for ourselves. Britain has British folks, France has French folks, Germany has German folks, but we of the USA lack any other form of name other than "American". Therefore, I will continue to call myself, and other citizens of my country...American.

So, I say again, Happy Independence Day, Americans!

You know, everyone in English speaking countries has a "4th of July". Only people who are citizens of the United States of America have a significant event that is shared by all citizens of the United States of America. So, I do not wish folks a "happy 4th", I am very specific of the event.

And while I fully understand that there are people "from the Americas" other than citizens of the United States of America, generally folks will automatically associate the name "Americans" with citizens of the USA, as we lack any other name for ourselves. Britain has British folks, France has French folks, Germany has German folks, but we of the USA lack any other form of name other than "American". Therefore, I will continue to call myself, and other citizens of my country...American.

So, I say again, Happy Independence Day, Americans!

It is so typical of "Americans" to hog not only one, but two entire continents to identify themselves. But, you are right. What are we to call ourselves if not "Americans"? USers? USAers? United Staters? Nope. We're 'Muricans and danged proud, too. Happy Independence-from-tyranny-and-taxation-without-representation-and-snobs-with-hobs-(it's-a-stove!)-Day to you, too!! (Does England have the 4th of July? Best joke ever. So many Americans get it wrong.)

It's a good point - south Americans will likely use their nationality before their continentality, The USA is the united states of America, not the USNA to include "north" as a specific term. so there is in essence two continents, one called "north America" and the other "south America", as well as a "country" (or a union of states, in this case) called "America", because the states which are united are the states of America, not north America or South America. Hawaii, for example, is not part of either continent, sitting as it does so far out there - it is, however, part of America the country.

It's a good point - south Americans will likely use their nationality before their continentality, The USA is the united states of America, not the USNA to include "north" as a specific term. so there is in essence two continents, one called "north America" and the other "south America", as well as a "country" (or a union of states, in this case) called "America", because the states which are united are the states of America, not north America or South America. Hawaii, for example, is not part of either continent, sitting as it does so far out there - it is, however, part of America the country.

Exactly!! You're such a thinker...:think:

Happy Independence Day to all my fellow citizens of the US of A! :)

Today is the 240th anniversary of the day in 1776 that the wording of the draft of what we know as the Declaration of Independence was given final approval by the Continental Congress (after edits/changes), although independence from England had actually been declared two days earlier on July 2.

IrishLass :)

Back