Happy Accidents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night I was blending my hurricane ocean soap, which was planned to be an ombré for the soap challenge. I was using activated charcoal to shade blue micas and that’s the last step used titanium dioxide to lighten the upper layers. Big mistake! My titanium dioxide was in a solution of water and much of it beaded up and refused to blend. Things went from bad to worse when I tried to fix it and the soap batter in all 5 cups thickened up. I consolidated the soap batter into 2 mixing cups and poured the mess into my tall and skinny mold. Absolutely not an ombré design!

this morning I cut the bars thinking I could probably make rock soap out of them later. The bars look familiar, however, so I took one out to my husband the geologist and asked, what kind of rock is this? Turns out it looks like andesite, an igneous rock.

This will make fantastic Christmas gifts for the family from uncle Bill the geologist. I couldn’t do it again if I tried, but it’s a very happy accident. The bars are scented with bay rum.

I would love to see other soap fails that turned out to be happy accidents! 😊

831481E3-FF43-4023-995C-1DF4328AC304.jpeg

And here is a pic of andesite.
D13A1FF0-EC84-474D-81C7-CD8082E87CCC.jpeg

Building on this- remember that TD blunder. I wonder if you have TD that needs to be mixed with oil. Maybe you can replicate this another time. It certainly looks like the real.
Notes? I can write down more or less what happened with the mica colors. I believe this TD is supposed to be both oil and water soluble. It mixes readily with water and with oil, too. This TD has sort of an oily texture to it, so maybe the oil is required. Don’t know. Right now I have a batch of it mixed up with castor and olive in a condiment bottle. I haven’t found a way that ever gets it as smooth and perfect as in melt & pour. I’ll order fresh sample to compare and see how it does. Glad I had chosen bay rum for the fragrance since men will be more likely to appreciate this.

(added color mistake notes)

Last edited:
Hi. Do you have an agitator in your bottle of TD?
A stainless steel nut or bolt from hardware store will work. I use a couple 1/4-20 sized. You rock!
In my current TD dispersed in oil I dropped a large marble. It wouldn’t have helped in the water base TD. The TD was fully mixed with the water, but (duh!) I accidentally mixed it with the soap oils instead of the water. The TD refused to properly blend after that. 🙄

In my current TD dispersed in oil I dropped a large marble. It wouldn’t have helped in the water base TD. The TD was fully mixed with the water, but (duh!) I accidentally mixed it with the soap oils instead of the water. The TD refused to properly blend after that. 🙄
Interesting... I often mix my water-dispersed TD into my oils with no problem. Sounds like you have some finicky TD there!

Back