Happy accidents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintlysoaper

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my latest soap success which turned out be a happy accident. About three weeks ago I made not one, but two batches of slightly different soaps each (I thought) containing 10% coconut oil. Turns out I had picked up a large container of Shea butter instead of coconut which, believe me looks identical to the lower grade CO I now use. These soaps are now proving to be the extra mild type I was after as they contain no coconut oil at all but I would never have tried this deliberately.

Good thing I actually noticed my mistake right before I was about to make 100% coconut oil soap which would have been, er, 100% Shea butter.:oops::rolleyes:

Surprisingly, not too bad. In the first week, it was pretty low but it has definitely gotten better and some good sized bubbles can be worked up in amongst a more creamy dense lather. I am hoping It will improve even more though in the next 5 weeks. They all contain yoghurt too and a fair amount of castor oil.

Note also that your resulting superfat is lower than intended, due to the difference in SAP values for CO and Shea.

Yes that's true. i had the superfat at 6% but it now equates to 3%. Again, something I would never have done but it does still seem okay.
Next time I make it I will just go to 5% to avoid cutting the bubbles as much as possible.

Isn't it great when those "mistakes" turn out well? Instead of just an expensive learning experience? lol

I'm curious about you saying they looked the same. Is your CO crumbly, or is your shea really hard and waxy?

Both of them are a light cream colour and a dense creamy texture. I had previously only ordered Shea butter from one other supplier and that was still soft but grainy. This is also the first time I have tried a grade of CO other than Virgin food grade.

Back