Hanger swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here it is. I'm pleasantly surprised! My only regret is that my "thin lines" ^^^^started as thin lines and then went into thick globs. I should have known better than to use a floral (True Lilac) but WSP said no acceleration. I soaped cool, used a high percentage of liquid oils and 33% lye concentration. WSP said no water discount so they would have used more water and probably small batch.

Attachments

• 20210515_073930.jpg
    20210515_073930.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210515_074205.jpg
    20210515_074205.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 60
So here it is. I'm pleasantly surprised! My only regret is that my "thin lines" ^^^^started as thin lines and then went into thick globs. I should have known better than to use a floral (True Lilac) but WSP said no acceleration. I soaped cool, used a high percentage of liquid oils and 33% lye concentration. WSP said no water discount so they would have used more water and probably small batch.

They turned out nice. They look like a fat feather swirl.

Very pretty soap. Which hanger swirl method did you end up using and and what type of cut?
As you can see by the photos I used a log mold. Alternating colors I poured thin lines from end to end until it became too thick to pour, then glopped the colors in as best I could still trying to make lines from end to end, building layers till all was used. I started at the short end, inserting the hanger tool diagonally the whole way to the bottom. From there I made forward loops diagonally coming the whole way up to the top and going the whole way down to the bottom to the other end. I made the loops close together. Then just swirled the very top with a chopstick. I hope this is clear. Perhaps @ResolvableOwl can do one of those drawings..I know I can't.

I love how all cuts are vastly different from each other! “Parallel” hanger swirls can be quite uniform at times (which can be intentional or not), but with skew angles, every bar is guaranteed to be unique (and develop in unpredictable manner while being used up).

inserting the hanger tool diagonally the whole way to the bottom. From there I made forward loops diagonally
Great to see you picked up my suggestion! Should I feel the desire to return the favour (by making a sketch), the single most important information is the angle of your diagonal. When the short side points to 12 o'clock and the long side to 3 o'clock, where did your hanger point to? In my above sketch it was about 1 o'clock, and a conventional hanger swirl would point straight to 3 o'clock.

I love how all cuts are vastly different from each other! “Parallel” hanger swirls can be quite uniform at times (which can be intentional or not), but with skew angles, every bar is guaranteed to be unique (and develop in unpredictable manner while being used up).

Great to see you picked up my suggestion! Should I feel the desire to return the favour (by making a sketch), the single most important information is the angle of your diagonal. When the short side points to 12 o'clock and the long side to 3 o'clock, where did your hanger point to? In my above sketch it was about 1 o'clock, and a conventional hanger swirl would point straight to 3 o'clock.
If I understand correctly I would say 11:00 and 5:00. But I am attaching a picture to make sure.

I was concerned about the corners not getting the hanger in them and intended to do something in those corners but the batter was getting too stiff so I left them alone. I am attaching a picture of the end bar. It did no harm to let them alone.

The drawing was not for me but for others. But now that they see a picture of the angle, maybe not necessary?

Attachments

• 20210516_133501.jpg
    20210516_133501.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210516_133654.jpg
    20210516_133654.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 46
@soapmaker MUCH better with that photo! Did I get you right that you put it in both diagonal directions? That's clever, I didn't think about the edges. And crossing hanger tracks are another twist to the story. Needless to say that the results speak for themselves 😃

Very nice looking swirl! I also see secret feathers. I seem to recall Soaping 101 on YT does a hanger swirl type thing where she rotates the hanger in a circular pattern (looking down) from a narrow end as she moves to the opposite end of the mold. I don’t recall being enthusiastic about the results. FuturePrim does a lot of chopstick swirls in her videos and I think also Ophelia’s Soapery. If I’m remembering correctly, OS sometimes uses a thick spoon handle to do her swirls. How the soap is added to the mold will affect the results, e.g. layered versus dropped in. I try to imagine that I’m drawing a design on whatever face of the soap will be cut. It keeps me awake at night 😂

Very cool affect! You just may have invented a new technique! ♥️

@soapmaker MUCH better with that photo! Did I get you right that you put it in both diagonal directions? That's clever, I didn't think about the edges. And crossing hanger tracks are another twist to the story. Needless to say that the results speak for themselves 😃
No I didn't do both diagonal directions. One time through making loops (written lower-case e's?) close together. I didn't cross my design.

Thanks for the photo. Now @ResolvableOwl's sketch makes perfect sense 🤸‍♀️

(True Lilac) but WSP said no acceleration.
I'm impressed! Those swirls are gorgeous! And with that fragrance... did I mention I'm impressed? I can only get a single color pour when I use True Lilac because it moves too fast for me. When I made a batch 2 months ago, I did an ombre pour, but I had to fragrance and color each layer separately and it was still a pill to work with. Stunning soap!

I'm impressed! Those swirls are gorgeous! And with that fragrance... did I mention I'm impressed? I can only get a single color pour when I use True Lilac because it moves too fast for me. When I made a batch 2 months ago, I did an ombre pour, but I had to fragrance and color each layer separately and it was still a pill to work with. Stunning soap!
Perhaps too many hard oils for True Lilac? My recipe is 50% liquid oils. Another thought is lower lye concentration. And soaping at 90 degrees. But you know all that.

So I answered your post with "Next time." Yesterday was next time. Another day of experiments. So the first attachment is a 3 colour soap like the Lilac ^^^above, using the same method only I inserted the hanger in as before AND came back to the starting point inserting it at 10:00 or (11:00), or the opposite way, and crossed my tracks with the same motion. It is not as striking because of the muted colouring but it is a men's soap and I used sea clay, uncoloured and blue and green ultramarines.

The second attachment is just sea clay and blue & green ultramarines with an ITP, one circle around with a whisk, pouring mostly from one end and then inserting the hanger from the end at 1:00 or (2:00), making my lower case e loops. Not striking but a lot easier than pouring alternating stripes down the center of a 5 lb. mold. In the right colours it could pass as a fire soap.

Attachments

• 20210609_112106.jpg
    20210609_112106.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210609_125536.jpg
    20210609_125536.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Wow!!! I'll be not the one to start with my associations (embarrassing subconsciousness thingies, ye know), but there is so much going on there! Frequently, hanger swirls have some “distorted zebra” type of discernible structure, but here I couldn't even tell what's the upper or lower side. Well done!

Back