Hanger swirl hanger sizes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im sure someone has done this and Im just not searching the right words. I’m looking for a comparison of different thicknesses of a hanger tool and how it affects the design. For instance, a wire hanger versus something as thick as a drinking straw or gear tie.

Hi Dragonfly! Hopefully others will contribute with their pictures of a thicker hanger swirl, but here is my own contribution of the kind of swirls that a regular/un-enhanced, thin metal hanger can do (It's my avatar pic, but you can see it better blown up). I just used a plain, thin metal hanger in it's regular triangular shape for this soap, following the technique of a soaper on Youtube named Ione from Eve's Garden Soaps:

IMG_3720IoneSwirlTassieLavender!!!640.JPG

IrishLass :)

Patiently following… My few hanger swirl baby steps, have all suffered from incomplete understanding how the batter behaves under pouring and/or pulling-through.

I know that the wire diameter is important, as is the thickness of the batter (trace).

But that doesn't tell me how to do it to end up with patterns that match my expectations. 🙄

Whenever I do an Ione swirl like what I posted, I never know exactly what I'm going to get in the end, but as long as the FO that I use is the well-behaving kind that will allow my soap to stay in medium trace for an extended period of time, it will turn out with a good enough amount of pretty, flower-like, wispy swirls to make me very happy.

Ione's video below shows her specific technique that I use in order to get that wispy, flowery look:

I use a thick plastic hanger for my swirling and depending on the batter thickness, I usually get wispy swirls. The batter was kinda gloopy in the white and brown soap, fluid in the purple and black soap (those had circular movements around)6D88D0AF-0CF6-4A42-88D3-5EB08ED49944.jpegB3F14274-55C5-419D-AD93-563FF29A1DEC.jpegB622C6AF-F0F1-475A-99C1-4203F36FD905.jpeg and thick in the red and black one with just one swipe through. I never really know what’s going to happen but I know my intent lol

Thanks everyone. This is what I’m hoping to do, and the reason for the question to begin with. I’ll pour solid green at the bottom and leave it be. Then I’ll do the middle section with the green colors dk green, lt green directly on top of that, then white, repeat, and run a thick hanger through those. After that, do the section at the top with the pink and a thin wire hanger just through those, not down into the green, and hopefully get a dainty looking pink flower that looks different than the stem and leaves. I thought about putting yellow in the top of the flower but have decided against that for now. Thoughts?

I guess this isn’t technically a swirl? Maybe just hanger manipulation. :)

Attachments

• 2E68CBC5-B6D1-4A17-94B7-58B82ACE7AAA.jpeg
    2E68CBC5-B6D1-4A17-94B7-58B82ACE7AAA.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 18
Im sure someone has done this and Im just not searching the right words. I’m looking for a comparison of different thicknesses of a hanger tool and how it affects the design. For instance, a wire hanger versus something as thick as a drinking straw or gear tie.

The problem here is that there are other factors beyond the size of the tool that can contribute to how the design turns out...like trace and temperature.

Rule of thumb...the thicker the tool, the more batter is moved...think teaspoon vs tablespoon vs serving serving.

The problem here is that there are other factors beyond the size of the tool that can contribute to how the design turns out...like trace and temperature.

Rule of thumb...the thicker the tool, the more batter is moved...think teaspoon vs tablespoon vs serving serving.

IrishLass mentioned medium trace in a previous post, and that's what I was planning on going for. While I realized in the back of my mind that those things can make a difference, seeing it in words drives it home. It makes me want to make a bunch of batches at different trace, with different tool thicknesses, just to test.

IrishLass mentioned medium trace in a previous post, and that's what I was planning on going for. While I realized in the back of my mind that those things can make a difference, seeing it in words drives it home. It makes me want to make a bunch of batches at different trace, with different tool thicknesses, just to test.
That sounds like a great photo testing project to share here with your best buds on SMF 😁

Hi Dragonfly! Hopefully others will contribute with their pictures of a thicker hanger swirl, but here is my own contribution of the kind of swirls that a regular/un-enhanced, thin metal hanger can do (It's my avatar pic, but you can see it better blown up). I just used a plain, thin metal hanger in it's regular triangular shape for this soap, following the technique of a soaper on Youtube named Ione from Eve's Garden Soaps:

View attachment 64337

OMG Irish - that is quite possibly the most beautiful soap I have ever seen. I bet Ione is well jell!
@~Dragonfly~ I always use a regular thin wire ( plastic coated) hanger, and have often pondered the benefits of a thicker device. Good luck with your design.

View attachment 64337

Wow, just wow.
When I first saw the picture I thought it was Iones’s creation.
I’ve never seen anyone emulate her.
You have nailed her design! Congratulations.

View attachment 64337

That soap couldn’t be more beautiful. Just gorgeous. !!

Back