Handmilled soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperi27

Reaction score
I want to start making handmilled soap and was wondering if I used a cp recipe and tweaked it would the result be the same? Handmilled soap result that is. I just noticed there aren't many recipes for that process. Does anyone here make this type of soap? Thank you

Hi, I am just getting into hand milled soap myself... a really good book to check out is called, natural soap, by Marie Borwning. It is awesome, I have only made around 40 bars so far, and they have all worked very well, I just add whatever I want at that piont. Any type of herbs, ground coffee, whatever! The only thing you have to watch out for is that if you put too much extra oils is wont re-firm up. I also use plain CP recipes. Does that answer your question? I'd love to give some more advice if you want any!

If your handmilled soap doesn't turn out you can always turn it into dishwashing liquid or shower soap. :)

That is great help thank you very much. I'm kinda nervous I've made mp for two years now and finally mastered it lol. I actually just recently purchased that book so I'm reading it and absorbing everything. I purchased a basic rebatch soap and goats milk soap so I'll let you know how it goes! One more question, when your curing your handmilled soap how long do you let it cure? The book says up to three weeks but I guess since its my first time I should allow it to cure for that long.

Hi, I probably make it a little different thant you do... but, I make my own base, then remelt it after it has already aged, so that when I go to mill it is totally safe, and just needs to re firm up before I use it. There is no aging time, between when I mill it and when I use it excpet 12 to 24 hours to harden agian. Does that make any sense? Are you buying the base or making it?

You can handmill any of your soap two weeks after making, but it will lengthen the aging time, and is not as safe as it would be if you let it age before you use it. I like to wait the aging time becuase I have many younger siblings that can help me if I let it age first, as it is not safe for them to make CP with me!

So long story short... I actually don't age my soap after hand milling at all. But that is only becuase I age it full time before I mill it.

Hope this is helpful! Any more questions and I'll try and help.

Oh wow that would be awesome to get more recipes!! Also do you sell your bases or you do this as a hobby? I'm wayyyy too afraid to make cp soap myself but I will try making the handmilled stuff. Yes I bought bases from brambleberry but I would to try someone's cp base soap. Anyway all just trying it out who konws!!!

Here are some good recipes.

Chamomile Oatmeal Soap

melt together:
2 cups grated soap base
1/4 cup palm oil
1/2 cup water

add after the soap has melted:
1 Tbs ground dried chamomile
1 Tbs groundtoasted oatmeal
10 drops camomile oil
5 drops clary sage oil.

Cinnamon Orange soap

melt together
2 cups grated pure vegetale soap
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup palm oil

Add after melted:
1/4 cup almond oil
10 drops sweet orange essential oil
5 drops cinnamon E.O.

Honey bee soap

Melt in a double broiler, 1 Tbs beeswax. Melt in microwave, 1 cup melted opaque soap base, add 1 tbs Honey. Mix well together.

peppermint refreshment soap

melt together
2 cups grated soap
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup water

After soap has melted:
1 tsp. crushed driend peppermint leaves
5 drops rosemary oil
5 drops eucalyprus oil
5 drops teatree oil

Alright, if you want more I have some! :) No I don't sell my soap base, I am pplanning to sell locally the soap I make from my soap base. The reason I make my own soap base is becuase I am going completely all natural and 100 percent pure. So that way I cna know the ingredients in my base. Sometimes I don't hand mill it and just keep the finish product. I hope to sell soap in my Dad's business. Another reason I don't use soap at al lfrom the store is becuase the soap you buy at the store isn't soap! It is detergent. Unfortuanatly the soap you buy at the store is terrible unhealthy for your skin... and becuase our family is into healthy products... I like making it. Why don't you try to make CP soap?

ooohh no way! Lye makes me want to lie down in the fetal position. Ok that was over dramatized but you get my drift. I'm too clumsy and not good at proper measurements. When I cook I never remember if I add a pinch or tbs but because its my food it always comes out good. For now this is safer for me lol

I was the same way about lye when i first started but my friend had me help her do a batch of cp and i realized that it isn't really all that scary.

well maybe when the kids move out I may take classes and attempt it but until then..........I have another question. I hear people use a cheese grater but can I use a knife? I ask this because the soap I received to rebatch was soft so I thought maybe I could cut it up small??

Hi, yeah, I don't see anything wrong with cutting it, but I usually use a cheese grater, I guess it is supposed to melt more evenly or something of the like... but don't see anything wrong with using a knife to cut it into little peices.

hmmm now i'm excited! I also read that to melt it you could use a double boiler method but first put the soaps into a bag like oven bag. I think to make easier clean up but i'm not sure

You are supposed to use a double broiler, although last time I dd not and was not happy with the way it melted, adn no I haev never used a bag of any sort, or done anything like that. if you do not heat it in a double broiler you get a frothy mess, that takes a really long time to get back to normal!

wow ty so very much I'm quite excited but scared at the same time. I know what to expect doing mp soap but this is a bit different! LOL I purchased a basic soap rebatch and two goat's milk soap rebatch so I'm going to try them tomorrow. Did you turn them over after you cut them and placed them on a rack. The directions on the website said to do that so not sure since you've already tried it. BTW thank you for enduring my newbie questions I really really appreciate it!

I use these pots from candle companies but i'm pretty sure there not steel and those pots I use to burn down my soap seperate ones of course. Is that okay to use for rebatching?

Well, If your soap is alraedy cured you can use any pot you want, except for non-stick. I put my soap on a sheet of waxed paper then stack another layer of waxed paper, then more soap! Right now I haev about forty bars in one big stack. Sometimes I switch them around, I find that the ones on the bottom cure faster. I don't keep them on a rack, just on top of a dresser.

I assume that it is fully cured because I purchased them from a company. I did not make them from scratch. I melt my mp soaps in aluminum pots and they clean my skin fine. Obviously not the same thing but just saying :D . Alright well I'm finally going to try some tomorrow. Thank you so much for all your help I'm super excited now lol

I'm so upset!

It turns out that the rebatch soap base is made from cp and it isn't cured! I was melting it in an aluminum pot and it wouldn't harden even after two days. I'm thinking its b/c of the pot. Maybe i didn't melt it properly also. I'm going tomorrow to purchase a steel pot and make another base so I'll once again keep you posted.

Hi, yeah, I wouldn't know exactly why it is not hardening, but don't give up on it yet! Some soaps take a good three weeks to harden! It could be the recipe you used, what recipe did you use? Also I am surprised you did not get awful reaction from the lye if the soap was not cured! Often you will get a really bad reaction that results in a real mess, and a batch for the trash can! Watch out with uncured soap, I placed mine to cure on waxed paper on a dresser, well the soap ate all the way through the waxed paper and then ate the wood and paint! So now I always place mine on a flattened cardboard box, and waxed paper! Uncured soap will eat glass, wood, paint, and about anything else that is not stainless steal! It also totally eats non stick off of pans. Learn from the mistakes, it is best that way! :) Believe me I have made many myself and I have only just started. I started about four months ago! I have been studying a lot for some time though! I really got hooked to the idea of hand milling soap becuase then My younger sister Alaina can help me! As well as the other younger sisblings I have!

Back