Handmilled Soap - HELP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSowers

Reaction score
I have made some hand milled soap and it is to wet, soft.
Can I add M&P clear glycerin to make it harder?
TIA

I wouldn't think so. MP soap is fairly soft on it's own so you would likely jsut end up with more very soft soap.

Time...

If it were me—and I admit I have no patience—I’d grate it back up (or dice it if it’s too soft), pop it back in the microwave and rebatch again. You might be able to cook some more water out of it. Of course, this may have an adverse effect on you FO/EOs. . . .

Flynn

If its wet and soft its because you added too much liquid. You can remelt in microwave or whatever your method. I use the microwave and only a few tbs of water ppo. Now if you have made cp soap and its fresh rebatch then you didn't need to add any water at all.

It had been curing for about 2 weeks before I rebatched it.
I also added some Vitamin E oil. (me thinks way to much), and about a 1/2 glass of water.

I tried to rebatch it again last night, but it is still way to soft.
I did it in the crock pot.

Maybe I need to try the microwave.

Too much water for that I would say- I have only done a couple- my first ones were too hard, my second ones too soft- yes all in the same batch! So much so that I went back to CP but plan to keep trying rebatch! A couple of batches I made did turn out beautifully- what I did was add about 1/4 cup of water to a 2 week old batch- then I mixed covered and let in sit somewhere between 5 and 8 hours- so all the liquid could soak up- then I just stuck it in a double boiler- I don't know how long I kept it there- not long though- it was a thicker liquid but a pretty smooth melt down and it made my best batch ever! I still have it curing but I'll get a pick up later today! Pepper is a good one to ask! I would not put any MP base in- it'll make it softer, I think!
Not an expert- just someone trying to nail it- but I think my expectations might be too high. I keep having to remember that a rebatch isn't as smooth looking as CP in appearance though it is darn good soap! My Ugly bar is a rebatch too- I did that one the same way and it came out great!
I tried the crockpot and the oven- not the micro though! The oven was just ok- the crockpot was awful for me!
Maybe I helped a lil? :eek:

Wait how much water are you adding to how many pounds of soap? You only need 4 tbs of water thats all. In a batch under 3 weeks old you don't need any water at all. I buy my cp soap from two ladies one makes goatsmilk and the other just plain old soap. Now from my researching and many many batches I realized I was using way too much water. My hand milled soaps harden up within hours. It's not supposed to take a few weeks. The longest I think I waited for my hm soap to harden up is one day. For those of you that participated in the recent swap that autumn soap I made is rebatch. These are obviously just my observations and its a kewl process to learn and I love it! People think I'm nuts when I say I rebatch on purpose its a lot of fun.

I like it but it's a challenge for me! I'll have to try no water next time! I haven't dont that yet- mine at least the couple of good batches only took a couple of hours to set as well and I could unmold. But yours Pepper seem so smooth- I'm jealous!! :)
:lol:

Aww ty that is my fav way to make soap besides mp. When my kids are less nosey and away at college LOL I will try it. Its so much fun to make rebatch I love it! Yeah thats the key how much liquid to add. The funny thing is the owner that sells me her rebatch base saw how my soap came out and asked if she could include my basic recipe for her to send out with the orders I was like okay! LOL Granted I changed my method since then but what I gave her still works. I used to add a lil less than 1/4 cup of distilled water.

Is your GM base from soaps and sundries.com? I think I need a new GM base- I'm not going attempt to do a CP with it- besides I can't find any here! Anyway, the GM base I had was good but the GM smell was so yucky! It went away but maybe I can find a less smelly one? It was also really brown- not sure if that is typical of gm or not. When it cooled it was a light tan but is it possible to get a white one- possibly less stinky! I know that goat milk has that ammonia smell regardless but...ewwww~ LOL

Mine doesn't have a gm smell?? or maybe I didn't notice but I love gm soap and yes from soaps and sundries. Sweet lady I bought 50lbs because I made gm/oat/hon for my house and my sisters house. We all have sensitive skin especially my kids so that soap it amazing! Goatsmilk rebatches the best!

After you let it sit it goes away- that smell but it is horrible lol! Maybe my batch was super fresh and the ammonia in the milk hadn't died down! She is super nice and I think her base is pretty inexpensive the soap quality is great! But that goat butt smell- yuck! Ok maybe I'll buy more because I do need some and let you know how it goes!

Oh I see- I have the same bar curing right now! Oatmeal, honey. I must say I did use it and I love it- though it is still a bit soft! It needs another week or so! :)
Ok so I'll stick to S & S!

yeah her base is amazing and very smooth I love it! I tried a sample and it was great and from there I was hooked! My gm/oat/honey bars all sold out on etsy! Everyone really liked it!

Did you mix those yourself? The oat and honey- she also sells one premixed right or similar?I will say that the oat/honey batch I made I really like it! It shaped up very nice- darn pic- I will get one up! I wonder how her lotion base is?? Maybe I'll see if she'll toss me a sample with my next order!! :)

I'm dying to try her gm lotion! I think my skin would love that! No I mix up my stuff all on my own its cheaper that way. I have to make some this week cause I'm all out and I need my bar lol

I have one if you want I'll send it to you- It's her gm, raw organic honey, organic rolled oatmeal- vit. e! Mine is totally usable it just may be a little soft! It's about a week shy! Sounds like it might be the same as yours! :) PM your addy and I'll throw one in the mail to get you through! :) If you want!

Latest posts

Back