Hand Writing on Labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy Jensen

Reaction score
Hello,

I do not sell my soap but would like to dress up the final product. Does anyone ever handwrite on the labels? right now I use gauze bags and stickers however the stickers fall off the bag. I've seen gusseted cellopane bags with breath holes however I cannot find them. I would like to add a sticker to the bag and handwrite the product, scent and weight. how does that sound? does anyone know where I can find the bags with breathe holes?
thank-you,
Nancy

I used to hand-write my labels. It can be rather time-intensive, and of course, you want to be able to write as neatly as possible. Legible writing gets to be an issue when the hands cramp up or one becomes tired, though, at least for me, so eventually I switched to designing my labels via my computer.

depending on how many bags you plan to use, you might want to order online. Nashville Wraps is good, so is Papermart.

I think handwritten labels would be lovely. I personally wouldn't do it, because I have bad handwriting. it's either illegible, looks like a serial killer wrote it, or if I take my time, looks like a 3rd grader wrote it.

okay good, I have decent hand writing depending on the pen so I'll go with that for now, thanks for tips...serial killer funny

I do not sell my soap but would like to dress up the final product. Does anyone ever handwrite on the labels?

I do not sell, either, but I gift soaps often. I love to handwrite my labels, but in reality, they are a pain. First, you need to write small enough to include everything-- I like to include a name, fragrance, and an ingredients list. Second, it can be a lot of labels to write, depending on how much I'm giving away. Third (and worst), one misspelling means redoing the whole label. These days, I prefer using an attractive handwritten font and printing the labels. You can find a lot of handwritten fonts here: https://www.1001fonts.com

I just give to family and friends and hoping to avoid an ingredients list, I thought that was only required if you sell the soap? thanks for the idea but I need to buy a printer and figure out how to print labels, maybe when I retired

Hello,

I do not sell my soap but would like to dress up the final product. Does anyone ever handwrite on the labels? right now I use gauze bags and stickers however the stickers fall off the bag. I've seen gusseted cellopane bags with breath holes however I cannot find them. I would like to add a sticker to the bag and handwrite the product, scent and weight. how does that sound? does anyone know where I can find the bags with breathe holes?
thank-you,
Nancy

I like the idea of gauze bags. Are yours cotton? If so, can you post of pic of your soap modeling a bag?

As a solution to your label issue. Can you print tags at Kinkos and thread them though the tie as an alternative to labels?

Last edited:
I just give to family and friends and hoping to avoid an ingredients list, I thought that was only required if you sell the soap? thanks for the idea but I need to buy a printer and figure out how to print labels, maybe when I retired
Technically, I don't think you have to list ingredients even if you sell. A lot of us like to label soaps for gifting so allergies or someone not wanting to use animal derived products, palm or soy will know they are in there. I find that when I give a lot of soap to one person, they like to share it with others. Which is fine with me. I'd hate for someone that has an allergy to (for instance) avocados end up with a soap made with olive oil, or a vegan having a lard soap and not know those things were in there. So I label - and I print my labels myself.

A lot of us like to label soaps for gifting so allergies or someone not wanting to use animal derived products, palm or soy will know they are in there. I find that when I give a lot of soap to one person, they like to share it with others. Which is fine with me. I'd hate for someone that has an allergy to (for instance) avocados end up with a soap made with olive oil, or a vegan having a lard soap and not know those things were in there. So I label - and I print my labels myself.

This is why, 100%. Also, if the giftee likes a particular soap, they have a better chance of telling you which it was if they can say, "the one with the carrot puree was better than the one with the oatmeal."

Yes, I list ingredients for the reasons listed above. Often I bring a box of various soaps with me on my roadtrips and let family & friends sift through them to choose what they want. My niece was quite surprised to see 'lard' on one of my labels last year. I don't know what surprised her more, that I used lard in anything ever (vegetarian for 20 years, so she barely even remembers when I ate meat) and I think she was just shocked to see lard as a possible soaping oil.

Plus there really are some ingredients that should not be used by some people. Pregnant women and children need to stay away from certain essential oils, so listing them puts the onus on the user or the parent of the child.

You can make your own font using your own handwriting.
https://www.calligraphr.com/en/

I tried it but there are so many fantastic free handwriting fonts that it wasn't worth the effort of making something imperfect.

I think it is nicer to have an easy to read font on the back with the ingredients and website info so that everyone can read it easily.
Infact I think a handwriting font should be really legible or it is just annoying or people. But that is just me.

I've been told many times that I have beautiful handwriting but I wouldn't use handwriting on my labels, for any part of the label. Even my own grandchildren, who do know the basics of cursive, can't read it very well. I want my soaps to be clearly marked, readable by anyone. Cursive no longer is.

upload_2019-2-15_12-26-56.jpeg

Hello,

thank-you,
Nancy

Handwritten can look very nice and definitely seen some that weren't rustic - more Martha Stewart like. I used to handwrite but only because I don't sell and didn't have a printer that could print labels. It is time consuming (especially for those of us with poor penmanship)

I use bags like that for some of my products and I put in a business card and/or a slip of paper with ingredients and instructions. This is a sample pack for a lip scrub and lip serum that I'll be giving to a few people for feedback but it's similar to what I do with my Bubble Scoops and other small items. This just has my business card in it because I'll be telling my testers how to use both, in person.

20190215_104956_HDR.jpg

Back