Hand Sanitizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to remind everyone that as the world opens back up that there WILL be a second wave. Not maybe, will. If you haven't already purchased or made any hand sanitizer yet, now is the time. As for Texas, our numbers continue to climb as we continue to open up. (I am not saying we shouldn't open back up, because we totally have to get the economy going again! But our numbers are going up.) I am ordering another gallon of hand sanitizer today so that we don't run out.

How do I mix FO into hand sanitizer? I am ordering another gallon, and they only sell unfragranced now. I love the scented hand sanitizer! Do I just use a stick blender or what?

Last time i ordered sanitizer I just used a spoon. The goal was to not add extra air bubbles.

I used a bit of hydrosol (in place of the other liquid beside the alcohol + glycerin/hyaluronic acid). It wasn't a strong scent but was pleasant.

EDIT: if it's adding to store-bought sanitizer, I wouldn't do it, since it may be already a 60-70% solution and then adding more hydrosol water would make it too low. I wasn't thinking straight....

I mix my own...no special formula. Using a 100 ml spritz bottle, I measure in 2 parts isopropyl alcohol, 1 part aloe juice and a about 1/4 tsp of lemongrass. I've given it to lots of people so I hope it's OK .
IMG_20200713_235531.jpg

I mix my own...no special formula. Using a 100 ml spritz bottle, I measure in 2 parts isopropyl alcohol, 1 part aloe juice and a about 1/4 tsp of lemongrass. I've given it to lots of people so I hope it's OK .
View attachment 47788
Thought I'd comment -
In the US, they recommend 60-75% final alcohol concentration for covid hand sanitizer.. If your isopropyl is 70%, the sanitizer has less than 50% alcohol. If you're using 90% you end up with about 60%

Thanks.... I'd better check up on that...I get it from a friend with a printing works who buys it commercially in big drums and I'm sure he told me it was 99.9 %. I've printed that on the label, but not critical as I don't sell it... but I may have heard him incorrectly, I'll certainly check.
I love having the spritz bottle in the car...so convenient to spray anything I'm touching eg. steering wheel, phone, door handle.... as it dries instantly.
I still always carry a little bottle of commercial gel on my car keys for when I'm out.
.... and soap, soap, soap at home. ☺

In the medical field. Best option is a 2:1 ratio of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to Aloe liquid = 66%. Careful storing 99%, it is also known as "burning" alcohol for torches. The resulting hand sanitizer needs to be between 60-95% alcohol to kill bacteria.

Sanitizer should contain 665-705 of alcohol . Higher percentage evaporate too fast to kill any bacteria .

Back