Hand Sanitizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up in Canada we dont sell high proof. I gotta get in making my own still lol
costco 99% Isopropyl alcohol 2 l for 12.99. It does stink though
yeah not high proof alcohol in liquor stores , while being in Poland they have high proof grain alcohol in stores, always had, it is 99%

costco 99% Isopropyl alcohol 2 l for 12.99. It does stink though
yeah not high proof alcohol in liquor stores , while being in Poland they have high proof grain alcohol in stores, always had, it is 99%

Costco MB sold out of alcohol and sanitizer wipes. We had some very greedy people here. I have tried pharmacies and stores. Im done. I will carry a bar of soap with me :nonono:

Costco MB sold out of alcohol and sanitizer wipes. We had some very greedy people here. I have tried pharmacies and stores. Im done. I will carry a bar of soap with me :nonono:
same here, I can not believe it
i still have almost 2 l which i got few months ago

Sighhhh i can find aloe gel but no way no how is there any rubbing alcohol around. And our liquor stores no linger carry everclear.

i find it ironic that they want us to sanitize but there arent any products available to use.

My store is out of Everclear, too. It's a bummer, because I use it regularly for making things for myself and family other than hand sanitizer, such as perfume and hubby and son's after shave. This is the first time I've ever used it to make hand sanitizer.

BUT....I last week I was able to purchase food-grade 190 proof alcohol (ethanol) online from Mystic Mountain Distillery located in Colorado. The funny thing is that I didn't find out until after I had ordered it that their main customers are the marijuana growing crowd, who use either it or Everclear for extraction purposes. A name like Extractor 420 would have been a clue had I been savvy enough to know any better, but I was totally clueless until I looked up their choice of name for it of curiosity, lol. Umm.....anyway, I received it via FedEx yesterday, and it turned out to be less expensive than what I normally pay for Everclear at my grocery store (even with shipping included). You do have to live in a state where 190-proof alcohol is legal, though. They won't ship it to you otherwise. And you have to be home to sign for it (with ID) when it gets delivered. On the plus side, being at home is not a problem at the moment. :D

IrishLass :)

My store is out of Everclear, too. It's a bummer, because I use it regularly for making things for myself and family other than hand sanitizer, such as perfume and hubby and son's after shave. This is the first time I've ever used it to make hand sanitizer.

BUT....I last week I was able to purchase food-grade 190 proof alcohol (ethanol) online from Mystic Mountain Distillery located in Colorado. The funny thing is that I didn't find out until after I had ordered it that their main customers are the marijuana growing crowd, who use either it or Everclear for extraction purposes. A name like Extractor 420 would have been a clue had I been savvy enough to know any better, but I was totally clueless until I looked up their choice of name for it of curiosity, lol. Umm.....anyway, I received it via FedEx yesterday, and it turned out to be less expensive than what I normally pay for Everclear at my grocery store (even with shipping included). You do have to live in a state where 190-proof alcohol is legal, though. They won't ship it to you otherwise. And you have to be home to sign for it (with ID) when it gets delivered. On the plus side, being at home is not a problem at the moment. :D

:lol:

This forum takes me down the oddest rabbit trails of Google searches...I would hate for any official agency to look at my search history.

I had to figure out what they were extracting with the Everclear. And then I had to know exactly how they used it. I do not live in a state that allows the legal use of marijuana.

I had to figure out what they were extracting with the Everclear. And then I had to know exactly how they used it. I do not live in a state that allows the legal use of marijuana.

Wish I could say the same. I'm all for medical use and continued scientific research and whatever good comes from that. But there's a ridiculous amount of miraculous thinking about CBD products (without substantiated science)- kind of like essential oils.

I received this from Essential Wholesale and Labs and thought I would share.

"Here is a guide to creating a thick alcohol cleansing aloe gel, and a second recipe for creating a moisturizing cleansing gel to avoid those rough, dry patches that form with frequent hand washing. "

Alcohol Hand Gel

Ingredients:
17% Hot distilled or Deionized Water
0.5% Hydroxyethyl cellulose
20% Aloe Gel (or Simple Aloe Gel, or our USDA Certified Organic Aloe Gel)
60-70% denatured alcohol (we are not certified to sell alcohol to the public)

1. High shear mix hydroxyehtyl cellulose (HEC) with hot water until a gel is formed.
2. High shear mix aloe gel with the HEC gel you just created.
3. High shear mix denatured alcohol into gel base.

Moisturizing Alcohol Hand Gel

Ingredients:
12% Hot distilled or Deionized Water
0.6% Hydroxyethyl cellulose
0.3% Hyaluronic Acid https://www.essentialwholesale.com/product/1222/hyaluronic-acid-powder
1% Propylene Glycol
13% Aloe Gel (or Simple Aloe Gel, or our USDA Certified Organic Aloe Gel)
72% Alcohol (we are not certified to sell alcohol to the public)

1. High shear mix first 4 ingredients until a smooth gel is formed.
2. High shear this mix into the aloe gel.

I received this from Essential Wholesale and Labs and thought I would share.

"Here is a guide to creating a thick alcohol cleansing aloe gel, and a second recipe for creating a moisturizing cleansing gel to avoid those rough, dry patches that form with frequent hand washing. "

Alcohol Hand Gel

Ingredients:
17% Hot distilled or Deionized Water
0.5% Hydroxyethyl cellulose
20% Aloe Gel (or Simple Aloe Gel, or our USDA Certified Organic Aloe Gel)
60-70% denatured alcohol (we are not certified to sell alcohol to the public)

1. High shear mix hydroxyehtyl cellulose (HEC) with hot water until a gel is formed.
2. High shear mix aloe gel with the HEC gel you just created.

Moisturizing Alcohol Hand Gel

Ingredients:
12% Hot distilled or Deionized Water
0.6% Hydroxyethyl cellulose
0.3% Hyaluronic Acid https://www.essentialwholesale.com/product/1222/hyaluronic-acid-powder
1% Propylene Glycol
13% Aloe Gel (or Simple Aloe Gel, or our USDA Certified Organic Aloe Gel)
72% Alcohol (we are not certified to sell alcohol to the public)

1. High shear mix first 4 ingredients until a smooth gel is formed.
2. High shear this mix into the aloe gel.
This looks great, thank you.
FWIW, I have been using my hyaluronic acid hand sanitizer (which is like 30% of 1% solution so I guess it's right around what they suggest), and it really is very gentle on the hands. I haven't thought of hydroxyethyl cellulose for thickening, but have some lying around here so will try it.

I made a couple of purse-sized (18 mLs) sprayers with the ethanol version of WHO recipe (contains 80% ethanol ABV) using my 190-proof Everclear (followed the recipe percents to a 'T", including the addition of hydrogen peroxide). It contains considerably less glycerin than the sanitizer I made a week or so ago on page 3 of this thread that contained 71% ethanol ABV.

Results?:

It definitely needs more glycerin as it dries me out, and I can't keep it on my hands for a full 20 seconds rub-in without using considerably more of it in comparison to how much I use of my 71% sanitizer that contains a 1/3rd amount of glycerin. I've been using it as a contact spray instead for hard surfaces.

I made a slightly modified version of the Crunchy Betty recipe today, and ended up with a white precipitate at the bottom. Anyone know what that might be or what it means to the finished product if I leave it behind?

The recipe is 3/4 cup 91% isopropyl alcohol (I used 95% grain ethyl alcohol), 1/4 cup aloe vera gel (I used the closest thing I had, which was an after sun skin gel, labeled as 98% pure aloe vera), 1/8 cup glycerin, and 10 drops pink grapefruit EO. I stick blended it 4 times for about one minute each time. Maybe that's not long enough?

Other ingredients in the skin gel besides the 98% aloe were carbomer, propylene glycol, sodium hydroxide, water, disodium EDTA, caprylyl glycol, and methylisothiazolinone.

I've ordered 100% aloe gel, we'll see if it actually ships out anytime soon.

The ratios will have to be tweaked based on your alcohol. I do not normally use denatured, but would guess it's in the 95ish percent range? The final concentration needs to be greater than 62% alcohol. 70 would be better.

Howdy Folks!

Anybody tried a bit of corn starch or arrowroot as a thickener?

I ahve not used corn start or arrowroot, but did pick up some (food grade) xanthan gum from the grocery store.
Had a few trial and error....
But what I found has worked the best...
1. Mix 1/4 tsb glycerin with 1/4 tsb xanthan gum to make a paste.
Add 2/4 cup distilled water to paste, stir well. (From what reading i did apparently low sheer mixing is best for stable, thick consistency).
2. Let mixture sit and re hydrate for 30 min to an hour.
3. Mix the desired volume of water gel to the desired volume of alcohol.
4. stir like mad.

Notes: Food grade did not make a clear gel. Its milky looking, but works well.
MUST hydrate xanthan gum before adding to water/alcohol mix. Otherwise just clumps and strings.

Latest posts

Back