Hand Sanitizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't understand why people who are AT HOME (not when you're out and about, obviously) are hung up on unsing hand sanitizer. Use the soap! Even the CDC has said that soap and water work better than hand sanitizer.

I just don't understand why people who are AT HOME (not when you're out and about, obviously) are hung up on unsing hand sanitizer. Use the soap! Even the CDC has said that soap and water work better than hand sanitizer.
Many of us who are at home still need to go out now and then and may not have access to soap and water. Or we have loved ones who need to be out and about and we want to do all we can to keep them safe. That said, yes, soap and water when you can and as soon as you walk in the door.

Many of us who are at home still need to go out now and then and may not have access to soap and water. Or we have loved ones who need to be out and about and we want to do all we can to keep them safe. That said, yes, soap and water when you can and as soon as you walk in the door.

:) Yup ... that's why I said
(not when you're out and about, obviously)
;)

I think the essential point of this thread is how to make hand sanitizer. I don't see anyone here touting it as an alternative to soap, water, and proper handwashing technique. It's a second best option when soap 'n water isn't available.

Making hand sanitizer is a new product for most of us, hence this thread. If we routinely made hand sanitizer but soap was new to us, you'd see the reverse happening.

This is me. If I must be out I just wash my hands as soon as I get through the door. I have sanitizer in my purse, but I don't use it.

I only use hand sanitizer when I'm out and about and can't get to a sink to wash with soap. I keep a small bottle of the sanitizer in my purse.....and I've also been keeping a package of baby wipes in the console of my truck so that when I get back out to my truck from the store, I scrub my hands as well as I can all over with a wipe and then finish things off with the hand sanitizer. Then I drive home without touching any part of my face, and then wash with soap and water as soon as I get in the house. Gosh....I'm beginning to sound like Adrian Monk! lol

IrishLass :)

We had to get supplies and groceries today. Normally shopping is a pleasant chore, but not today. I now can appreciate how people with agoraphobia feel. It was difficult to do this.

I called ahead to the feed store and meat market and placed orders to pick up, which shortened my time in their stores.

I tried to be mindful of the 6 foot safety zone in the stores, and realized that keeping that much space between me and another person is a lot harder than it seems. It was difficult in the grocery store especially, since two people pushing carts past each other can't possibly stay 6 feet apart. I just didn't linger.

I can tell people are stressed. Very little laughter or joking ... or even lighthearted chatting. The grocery checker said most people are civil, but there are a few who are being really nasty or irritable. I did my level darndest best to be pleasant and polite -- it's the least I can do to lighten the load on everyone, at least a tiny bit.

When in a store, I tried to keep my hands in my pockets unless I was pushing a cart. I used sanitizer every time I got back into the car and used sanitizer in the store if available. And, yes, washed my hands thoroughly after getting home and after putting everything away.

I thought about even disinfecting the groceries per a video I watched the other day. I gave up on that, much as I know it could be important. By that time, I was emotionally drained. I decided keeping my hands clean and not touching my face were the most important goals.

Even though I'm stressed, I know I have a lot to be thankful about. As far as I am aware, I'm healthy, hubby Chuck is healthy, and everyone else who is near and dear to me is okay too. We have food, water, not much debt, and a little money laid by for bad times. I can still afford to pay the salary of the lady who works with me, and Chuck is taking care of his two employees as well. And I have plenty of hobbies and projects to keep me busy. Thank goodness spring is coming on and I can get outdoors more.

I had to go out for groceries the other day. Very few people in the stores that I went to. Tried Costco but there was a long line around the parking lot, so I didn't even try. I have a few wipes left, no ingredients on the shelves for sanitizer, so won't be making any in the near future; and one tiny bottle left in the whole house. But my routine was similar to DeeAnna's and others with the wipe downs each time getting back to the car and lots of soap and water when at home. I add a little clorox to my wash water when scrubbing the counters, doors, etc. and can only hope for the best. Our daughter is close by...one mile...and checks on us as she is working from home and our grandson is out of school. After a discussion last night, she does not want us to go out at all, so from now on she will get supplies, although we probably have enough between the two households to last at least a month now. Other than the sanitizer ingredients, the only two things that I couldn't find was flour and lard. I have palm oil on order so could sub the lard and get back to soaping, but am working on a quilting project now that is needed for a family who lost their house in a fire. We've had warmer days, enough to work out in the garden which is greening up. Hubby mowed for the first time this year and the smell was lovely. We have to be thankful for the little things we get now.

Following up on True Blue's comment about how people use hand sanitizer when at home, I saw a video the other day of a lady getting her hands burned when cooking and after having applied hand sanitizer. It is made with mostly alcohol, people, and it's highly flammable. The lady showing the experiment put some sanitizer on a plate and lit it. You couldn't see the flame but when she put a piece of paper to it, it caught fire.
Don't use when you are at home. Use soap and water.

23.8 oz of Everclear (98% alcohol by volume)
.04 oz 200x aloe powder
.42 oz glycerin
7.96 oz of distilled water.

Dissolve the aloe powder in water and add gylcerin, then add the Everclear.

You don't have to add the aloe powder; but I had some in stock.

I made a small batch of this today, adding a few drops of lavender EO for fragrance. It is runny, but seems to evaporate well after rubbing the hands together for about 20 seconds. I tried a recipe using homemade aloe gel that contained guar gum as a thickening agent. This separated upon adding the alcohol. I think it is better for me to go with the runny version rather than experimenting with thickening agents. (Too expensive, if it doesn't work).

The initial research I saw said sanitizer made w 60% alcohol was effective but I noticed all the sanitizer in brand names at work, in my purse and car ,...were all 70%

Later research I read said 70% alcohol
If I were to make it I might add a few drops of white thyme EO for it’s properties in the 30% weight

A question to those who tried 90% - was it drying over time (my dumb question)
What did you use to add softening properties ?

Last thought - (most of you already know this as this is a sophisticated crowd ) but the literature in past indicated that Aloe Vera should be avoided by those w history of skin cancer

The initial research I saw said sanitizer made w 60% alcohol was effective but I noticed all the sanitizer in brand names at work, in my purse and car ,...were all 70%

If I were to make it I might add a few drops of white thyme EO for it’s properties in the 30% weight

Last thought - (most of you already know this as this is a sophisticated crowd ) but the literature in past indicated that Aloe Vera should be avoided by those w history of skin cancer
I can't find the reference now but seem to recall that it's also not good if it's more than 80% alcohol -- so I wouldn't make it 90%. I don't remember the reason just that it is not effective then either.

A lot of people use glycerin for "softening". I'm not familiar with the adverse effects of aloe vera, but that's interesting.

If I were you, I would save the expensive EO that you are about to kill with the alcohol. It is highly unlikely any beneficial properties survive an alcohol soak. If you want to use it for scent, go for it.

Hand sanitizer gel, like frequent handwashing, is going to be drying to the hands. I save using hand sanitizer gel for when I get back into my car at the stores. Then I sanitize my hands, keys, steering wheel, and anything else I touched getting into the car. I am a nurse, so I already wash my hands plenty at home. I also no longer carry a purse into the car to go to stores. It is one less thing I have to worry about contamination on. I have my driver's license and debit card in a coin purse attached to my key chain.

I use sanitizer spray on paper towels to clean my items when I get home as much as possible. My daughter is here now, so she does the bringing in of bags, and I do the wiping down of the outsides. I wash the fresh fruit and vegetables with my 100% CO soap and warm water before putting them up or out for eating. Dishwashing gloves are used and washed using proper handwashing techniques. I am trying to save my skin, but I would rather have dry skin than coronavirus.

Last thought: I have searched extensively trying to find a link from a reputable organization linking use of aloe gel or juice to skin cancer. Either before, during, or after treatment for skin cancer. If you can find any article, please link it. Note the "reputable organization" designation.

ETA: @atiz Glycerin is better. See post # 113 above from IrishLass as to why. Since glycerin has become almost impossible to find, people are using aloe vera gel as it is fairly decent at holding the alcohol on your skin for those important 20 seconds.

I wonder, DeeAnna , Can I use it as acohol in my sanitizer the inci name is; SDA 40B 200 proof, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl alcohol. It is perfumery alcohol

I use 70% RB (99%) added some aloe vera distillate, and 1% lemon essential oil so 70% RA and the rest is 30%. To be sure that it works it would have to be tested, I would never sell it, just for my own use

Latest posts

Back