Hand Sanitizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another member of SMF posted a link to an article about hand sanitizers on her FB feed. In the comments was a link to a document from the WHO, a Guide to Local Production of WHO Recommended Handrub Formulations.

https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide...Y76irrzsQpw-sAvDNYCCoVJM2eWbyMj0hGfXhYWsacjCA

Following their guidelines, I made some for myself using the following percentages:
83% Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol)
4.25% Hydrogen Peroxide
1.75% Glycerin (calls for Glycerol)
11% Distilled Water

I made one cup of the sanitizer; it isn't a gel, it looks like water and the article recommends the addition of colorant so it isn't accidentally ingested. I chose not to add colour as it will be in my purse and I'll be the one using it. I have no intention of making it for sale.
I made this recipe with 99% alcohol. It’s a lovely sanitizer working well with a spray bottle. I’m feeling pleased with myself that I had 99% alcohol on hand. Being an ex nurse, I’m comfortable with this combination over anything else. I like the addition of hydrogen peroxide.

After re-reading the posts by DeeAnna and Irishlass about how to figure the amounts, I came up with this recipe. It will be runny, but some of you have stated that some thickeners don't tend to work with alcohol
For 32 ounces of hand santizer:

23.8 oz of Everclear (98% alcohol by volume)
.04 oz 200x aloe powder
.42 oz glycerin
7.96 oz of distilled water.

Dissolve the aloe powder in water and add gylcerin, then add the Everclear.

You don't have to add the aloe powder; but I had some in stock.

Chemistry people is this an effective recipe. If you don't think so, be sure and say so. It won't hurt my feelings. :)
While I'm not a "chemistry person" I'm afraid, this looks good to me -- it has 23.8 x 0.98 = 23.32 oz alcohol in 32 oz of sanitizer, which is about 72%. Should be a nice sanitizer I would think.

While I'm not a "chemistry person" I'm afraid, this looks good to me -- it has 23.8 x 0.98 = 23.32 oz alcohol in 32 oz of sanitizer, which is about 72%. Should be a nice sanitizer I would think.
I made 8 fluid ounces of sanitizer:
5 oz (10 tablespoons) of 99% Isoropyl Alcohol
2.5 oz (5 tablespoons) of Aloe Vera Liquid
.5 oz (1 tablespoon) of Glycerine
3ML Lavender EO

It works well in a spray bottle or I could use a dispenser pop top and shake a few drops on my hands, then rubbing it around to completely cover my hands. I'm keeping mine in the car for when I can't get to a sink to wash my hands. For the most part we are not going anywhere, except for curb side grocery pickup. At some point soon, we may have to shelter at home. Sure that time is coming.

That would be like rubbing glycerin on your hands: a sticky mess. Try instead a teaspoon of glycerin, 3/4 cup everclear, and 1/4 cup water. Add another teaspoon of glycerin if it doesn't feel moisturizing enough.

(I don't know why anyone would suggest this recipe. Glycerin basically feels like cheap personal lubricant. I'm glad you asked before using up the ingredients.)

Different likes for different bites as the old commercial jingle goes. lol I'm one of those who made my 71% sanitizer using 2/3rds 95% abv Everclear and 1/3rd glycerin and I love it. I don't find it to be a sticky mess at all and it doesn't feel like cheap personal lubricant to me either.... just nicely moisturizing. Ones mileage will vary depending on ones skin-type and ambient humidity, though.

IrishLass :)

Thanks atiz and DeeAnna. I think I will try a small batch tomorrow to see how the recipe turns out. Will let you all know.:)

"...Is anyone adding hydrogen peroxide to their recipe like the recipe from WHO?..."

If you have any concerns about omitting the peroxide, please double check with the source. The method for making hand sanitizer on the WHO website discusses why the hydrogen peroxide is included as one of the ingredients.

Here's a link to the WHO method -- https://www.who.int/gpsc/information_centre/handrub-formulations/en/ Especially see page 6 in the actual "how to make it" PDF.

My “James Bond” hand sanitizer (shaken, not stirred) is getting thicker all the time as evidenced by the bubbles trapped in the gel:

6693169C-BA81-4AF7-AB26-2EAEBD1C4C2D.jpeg

My “James Bond” hand sanitizer (shaken, not stirred) is getting thicker all the time as evidenced by the bubbles trapped in the gel:

View attachment 44698
That looks great! I may need to get some of that "after sunburn" gel (or whatever it's called). Looks almost like a commercial sanitizer :)
Mine is pretty liquidy and not such a nice green, but it does feel very nice on the skin (and it hopefully works).

Aloe vera gel is impossible to get in stores right now, luckily I had a stash. When I run out I'll use 99.8 percent pure aloe vera juice, found a gallon jug for under $8 at Walmart. I'm using 2/3 420 Extractor ($26 for 1.75 liters) as a substitute for Everclear which is impossible to find in liquor stores too. 1/3 aloe vera gel or juice, a few drops of lavender and tea tree EOs. Giving it to everyone close to me in 3 oz. snap cap bottles cuz that's the only size I have plenty of.

Before we went to Cancun on March 11, I made a number of small bottles of 75% IPA (99%), 25% aloe vera gel (mine is very liquidy), with 1/2 tsp vit E and a few drops TTO and sage. We sprayed it all over the airplane seats, etc., but also used it on our hands all the time. It's really easy and I feel like it goes farther than the goopy gel. Now that we're home, it's soap soap soap, but I was very happy to have made that other stuff, or we'd have run out.
I also took a sealed bottle of IPA with us and a few small bottles of various EOs: Thieves Blend, lavender, and a couple of others...freshened up the place nicely.

Hi All

I am not a soap maker so please forgive me if my question is dumb. I have made some very basic hard lotion bars in the past that I really liked and I was wondering if there was a recipe for a hand sanitzer bar or if you could possibly add beeswax to one of the hand sanitizer bases that were mentioned previously? I was hoping to make something that I think my kids will use. Thank you for any advice and information. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Hi All

I am not a soap maker so please forgive me if my question is dumb. I have made some very basic hard lotion bars in the past that I really liked and I was wondering if there was a recipe for a hand sanitzer bar or if you could possibly add beeswax to one of the hand sanitizer bases that were mentioned previously? I was hoping to make something that I think my kids will use. Thank you for any advice and information. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.
There are no dumb questions. I would say if they're willing to use a bar, it should be a bar of soap along with water.

Susan of Swift Crafty Monkey is being really vocal on FaceBook that people should not be making DIY hand sanitizer. Even if the DIY person is making sanitizer following the WHO recipe or other reputable formulations.

I get her point I suppose, if commercially made sanitizer was readily available. But given the current circumstances, I question whether she's being realistic.

edit: People are also making DIY facemasks. It is quite true that commercial facemasks built with better materials and tested to strict standards are much better ... if they are available. But again, there are some areas where there are few or no commercial facemasks to be had, so people are needing to improvise.

Better for everyday people to use homemade masks, hopefully made following instructions from a hospital or clinic or other informed source. That way we can save the good ones for medical personnel who are in need of the best protection.

Last edited:
I just made 120 ml using 70% of 99%RA plus 30% of Aloe vera juice (distillate, i use for lotions) and 1% of lemon Essential oil. My hubby complains that he can smell alcohol , I do not care. 60-70% of 99% RA will be effective to kill viruses. Actually I added two grams more of alcohol to get 70 as long as it is not over 80% it will work

Here is a great video that shows some of the problems with making your own hand sanitizer using random recipes from the internet.

Back